Nit possibilty

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This will kill any chance we have now, but 2 NIT bracket sites that updated today have GT in their brackets, one has GT as a 4 seed playing Georgetown and one as a 6 seed.
They make note that the projections at this point don't take into account the regular season conference champs that will get auto bids when they don't make the NCAA Tourney. This usually amounts to 8-9 teams.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking ahead to the ACC tourney, we'll go in hoping for at least 1 win, but preferably 2 before an inevitable exit. So which seed gives Georgia Tech (or any bubble-level team) the best shot at 2 tourney wins?

Well now that Louisville is out, the seeds to root for are #5 and #11.
•The #5 gets the winner of the 12vs13 play-in game, then a winnable matchup vs #4.
•The #11 gets an easy play-in followed by a beatable #6 opponent.

All other obtainable seeds set up a guaranteed loss in their 2nd game (or anything worse than 11 is too low to matter).

Normally the #10 provides the best shot (play-in followed by #7) but Louisville's ban cut that leg off the bracket.

•So to climb to #5 we need to win-out while hoping Notre Dame, Pitt, Clemson, & Syracuse lose all their games.
•GT is currently sitting at that sweet #11 spot, but in order to hold that seed while winning down the stretch, we'll need wins from FSU, VT, and one from Syracuse and that still might not be enough to avoid #10 depending on a FSU tiebreaker.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Oops I meant to include this also...
6bcbcdaf2a825e13d26c89dd7c102203.jpg

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I expect that FSU with games vs Duke, ND, and Syr left will likely get the 11 seed (esp since we have the tiebreaker over them.

It seems to me that seeds 7 to 10 will belong to GT, Pitt, Syr, and vpi in some order. I think that we can win any of those games. The #1 and #2 seeds are likely unc and mia who will be tougher outs obviously.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd say this team is two more wins from being an NIT lock. Whether they can get 2 more wins is the question. The NIT brackets that have come out the last couple of days have consistently had GT as a 4 seed. Now NIT brackets don't take into account the auto bids, so if you are a 7-8 seed in NIT brackets right now then you are likely out of the NIT.

If the team wins the next 4 (which seems extremely unlikely, hard to even contemplate) then i'd put the odds of making the NCAA at over 80%. That would add at least 2 and possibly 3 more top 50 wins, giving at least 5 of those. A road win at L'ville would mean a road win over a top 20 RPI team, that would shoot up your RPI in a hurry.

Still I guess I just don't quite believe yet, though man i'd love to see MGH get to have a nice postseason run. He has been a warrior for this program, and after how the end of last year played out for him, it would be nice to see him go out playing well in meaningful games.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we need 4 more wins, regardless of where they come from, to get real consideration from the committee. I don't see us beating Lou @ Lou - normally circumstances would be different with their postseason ban, but we get them on Senior Night - we should get a really good performance from them. We have to get BC tomorrow, Pitt next Sat., then take 2 in the ACC tourney. And even then we're only on the bubble.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I re-watched our Miami game. Tadric Jackson played 22 min and got a little hot 5 of 9 field, 2 of 4 3pt. Q only played 13 min and didn't take a shot.

What jumped out at me was that we gave up a lot of uncontested, easy alley-oops and were still in the game until the final minutes. I don't know if they were running those plays to exploit something we do on D or if we just didn't adjust our D to what they do.

Still, it really seems to me that we actually have the talent to play with anybody in our league except maybe unc and duke.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we need 4 more wins, regardless of where they come from, to get real consideration from the committee. I don't see us beating Lou @ Lou - normally circumstances would be different with their postseason ban, but we get them on Senior Night - we should get a really good performance from them. We have to get BC tomorrow, Pitt next Sat., then take 2 in the ACC tourney. And even then we're only on the bubble.

Need 4 wins for sure, but if you'll re-read that ACC seed breakdown above, you'll see that 2 in the ACC tourney is an extremely tall order. Sure @Lou is a tough game to win but not as tough as the likely 2nd round matchup vs top-seeded UNC, UVA, or Miami.

Here's hoping we catch Louisville feeling sorry for themselves and steal another last-second W.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
You mean the next FOUR games. ...and that still may not be enough to get an invite.

I think the next three gets it done. Here is our resume' if we win out:

- Good wins: Virginia (#4), Notre Dame, Louisville (#11), VCU
- Bad loses: ETSU
- .500 record in the ACC

Thats a powerful resume' for a bubble team. Most others won't have the good wins or strength of schedule.

Let's have the problem that we actually need to debate it...

/

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If GT wins either of its games this week or if FSU loses its game next saturday against Syracuse GT would be guaranteed a finish in the top 10 avoiding a Thursday game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Some serious high ranked butts got kicked this weekend:

Saturday:

FSU beat #23 ND by 21
Vandy beat #16 UK by 12
#12 Miami beat #11 UL by 8 after UL only scored 3 pts in final 4 minutes
#20 Purdue beat #10 MD
#22 Utah beat #9 Arizona
#3 UVA beat #7 UNC
#25 Texas Beat #3 Oklahoma by 13

Sunday:

Pitt beat #15 Duke by 14
Seton Hall beat #5 Xavier by 9

As I am writing this #8 Iowa is struggling with Ohio St mid-way through the 2nd half.

I think there isn't as much difference from top to bottom in the best 50-75 teams in Div 1 as the ranking might indicate.