Nit possibilty

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
2 months ago this article would have only been a pipe dream.
I agree, but the only thing that's happened since that analysis is that we barely beat BC. The hard part is ahead of us.

We need to win one game this week, or it's over for the NCAA's. If we lose two, we will be playing on Tuesday in all likelihood and trying to hang on for an NIT bid.

Scenarios:

We win both games and we have a bye on Tuesday and play as the #9 seed if VT loses twice, and otherwise the #10 seed.
We win one game and we have a bye on Tuesday and we play as the #10 seed (VT has the tie breaker on us and we have it on FSU).
We lose both games and FSU loses to Syracuse and we play as the #10 seed (we have tie breaker on FSU).
We lose both games and FSU beats Syracuse and we play Tuesday as the #11 seed.

Any of these are possible and none will require odd things to happen.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but the only thing that's happened since that analysis is that we barely beat BC. The hard part is ahead of us.

We need to win one game this week, or it's over for the NCAA's. If we lose two, we will be playing on Tuesday in all likelihood and trying to hang on for an NIT bid.

Scenarios:

We win both games and we have a bye on Tuesday and play as the #9 seed if VT loses twice, and otherwise the #10 seed.
We win one game and we have a bye on Tuesday and we play as the #10 seed (VT has the tie breaker on us and we have it on FSU).
We lose both games and FSU loses to Syracuse and we play as the #10 seed (we have tie breaker on FSU).
We lose both games and FSU beats Syracuse and we play Tuesday as the #11 seed.

Any of these are possible and none will require odd things to happen.

If we lose both, I think that FSU would still have to beat Cuse for us to fall to the 11 seed. On the bright side, we'd be the 11 seed so that we get the easier play-in game and then maybe ND in the second round (if they lose to Miami and Pitt wins out). This would then set-up a rematch with uva.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember from the breakdown in posts #23 & 24 above...the #11 seed is the only spot where a low end team gets a realistic shot at 2 ACC tourney wins. All other seeds setup for 1 win & 1 loss.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Remember from the breakdown in posts #23 & 24 above...the #11 seed is the only spot where a low end team gets a realistic shot at 2 ACC tourney wins. All other seeds setup for 1 win & 1 loss.
But, if we are the #11 seed, we have to have just lost two in a row to close out the ACC schedule. I think our ACC Tournament results as a #11 will not matter unless we win on Sunday.

As a practical matter, the difference between #9 and #10 aren't much. I haven't done the scenarios for those teams, but Pitt, Clemson and Syracuse are currently tied for the #6-#8 seeds, so it's likely we would play one of them in either slot. What we do not want to do is play one of them after having played on Tuesday. I like our chances against any of them out of the #9 or #10 slot. Winning on Friday will be tough no matter which seed we get. That said, I think we are capable of beating anyone in the ACC. That does mean I think we will.

It all continues tomorrow night. Win at UL and the door remains open.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
But, if we are the #11 seed, we have to have just lost two in a row to close out the ACC schedule. I think our ACC Tournament results as a #11 will not matter unless we win on Sunday.

As a practical matter, the difference between #9 and #10 aren't much. I haven't done the scenarios for those teams, but Pitt, Clemson and Syracuse are currently tied for the #6-#8 seeds, so it's likely we would play one of them in either slot. What we do not want to do is play one of them after having played on Tuesday. I like our chances against any of them out of the #9 or #10 slot. Winning on Friday will be tough no matter which seed we get. That said, I think we are capable of beating anyone in the ACC. That does mean I think we will.

It all continues tomorrow night. Win at UL and the door remains open.

Yeah, there's definitely the issue of having the legs left for playing more tournament games. On the other hand, it seems to me that the step down from the #1 or #2 seed to the #3 seed makes the 11 seed interesting. Regardless, I say we just win them all and earn the tournament bid the old fashioned way.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pressure to beat Pitt increased tonite as Bucknell clinched an NIT auto-bid by losing in its conference tourney. North Florida also lost, clinching an auto-bid, but has a potential out because if Stetson, who's NCAA-ineligible due to APR, beats FGCU, North Florida still claims the A-Sun bid.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Realistically, we need to beat Pitt tomorrow. Anything else puts us in a situation where we have to get two wins in the ACC Tournament to stand a chance. I think we are in trouble at 18-15.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Big win over Pitt! Go Jackets!

Oh sh** if VT loses to Miami then I think our first round 7 vs 10 opponent will be Pittsburgh AGAIN!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Win over Pitt today had to have helped us a bunch in cementing an NIT bid. That said...

High Point
Belmont
Bucknell
North Florida (pending A-Sun final)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Big win over Pitt! Go Jackets!

Oh sh** if VT loses to Miami then I think our first round 7 vs 10 opponent will be Pittsburgh AGAIN!

That's right. I think the seeds are:
Seeds 1-3: UNC, Miami, UVA in some order
Seeds 4-5: Duke, ND in some order

If VPI beats Miami
#6 - vpi
#7 - cu

If VPI loses
#6 seed - CU
#7 seed - tie-breaker of vpi, pitt, syracuse
vpi is 1 and 2 against others
pitt is 3 and 1 against others
Syr is 1 and 2 against others​
so Pitt would be the 7 seed.

We'll either play Pitt or CU on Wed (if I did this right)

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah I concur.

From in RPI perspective, Pitt is the best resume-building opponent we could hope for. From from Wins/Losses I'd rather play more beatable Clem.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I concur.

From in RPI perspective, Pitt is the best resume-building opponent we could hope for. From from Wins/Losses I'd rather play more beatable Clem.

Yeah, and it's looking like that now. 8 min 56 sec left and vpi up 57-45

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm calling it now, GT will make the NIT.
NYCBuckets has GT as 2 seed in the NIT as of 5pm today.
DRatings had GT as the third 4 seed coming today.