Next years QB

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Of course Nesbitt wasn't slow and neither was Washington. However, in this sport, if you are going to beat angles angles and take a certain number of breakout runs to the house, you have to be fast. What Nesbitt had was amazing agility and balance for a big, physical QB. He was great in tight spaces and always seemed to come up with an extra couple of yards. He could pound you straight up and he could wiggle and contort his way through traffic. My favorite runs of his were many of the dives through creases to move the sticks or get over the goal line. His dive for the two point conv at UGAg 2008 is a symbolic play for me. He was not to be denied.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Of course Nesbitt wasn't slow and neither was Washington. However, in this sport, if you are going to beat angles angles and take a certain number of breakout runs to the house, you have to be fast. What Nesbitt had was amazing agility and balance for a big, physical QB. He was great in tight spaces and always seemed to come up with an extra couple of yards. He could pound you straight up and he could wiggle and contort his way through traffic. My favorite runs of his were many of the dives through creases to move the sticks or get over the goal line. His dive for the two point conv at UGAg 2008 is a symbolic play for me. He was not to be denied.
balance and agility in tight spaces.

On the game winning score in OT vs Wake in '09, the announcers make a big deal of Dwyers "pancake" block to open the way for Josh and rightfully so. However, what they failed to see was how Josh avoided the tackle of #52 who knifes in completely unblocked and dives at Josh's knees. Agility and balance in tight spaces.

Actually, I was searching for the 4th down play that preceded this one. You know the one were Josh mythically told CPJ "I got this" during the time out... and he DID!

Here's the play you referenced, wait for it, it's after Roddy's td run.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOL. Not sure how JfN got slower over the years, but man GT fans accomplished that one! Josh was never a burner like JeT, but the guy was pretty fast. What happened was, he was never really 100% during his time here. Remember how many pulled hammy's and ankle injuries he had because defenders kept twisting his leg? He played on bum legs most of his time here. BTW...Josh ran a 4.59 during his pro workout. That's as fast as Cam Newton ran it at the combine.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
LOL. Not sure how JfN got slower over the years, but man GT fans accomplished that one! Josh was never a burner like JeT, but the guy was pretty fast. What happened was, he was never really 100% during his time here. Remember how many pulled hammy's and ankle injuries he had because defenders kept twisting his leg? He played on bum legs most of his time here. BTW...Josh ran a 4.59 during his pro workout. That's as fast as Cam Newton ran it at the combine.
You asked a question then answered it yourself. :confused:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You asked a question then answered it yourself. :confused:

LOL. I guess. I'm just saying, JfN was faster than you guys are making it out to be. Even on a bum leg he was beating guys in the secondary. If you want to know what Josh looked like at full speed, watch the first half of the 2008 season before injuries took their toll on him. His legs (and our defense) kept us in games during that time.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed, Josh Nesbitt was faster than most of us give him credit. As someone mentioned above, he was not healthy during much of his time on the Flats. At times, especially during his JR and SR seasons, he did not run at his full speed for whatever reason.

If MJ is faster than Nesbitt, it is by a small margin.

My account of all our QBs: JN was fast but lost a step due to injuries. Washington did not have much speed, as he was hawked down on many occasions. He was not slow, but he looked like a 4.65-4.75 guy to me. Vad could move, but I never thought to myself, "Wow, that guy is fast." He had a lengthy stride and good speed but not breakaway or awesome agility. JT had excellent quickness, "escapability", and speed. He is FAST. However, his short strides allow him to be caught at times-There is a difference in a guy running a true 4.4 at his height and a guy like Marcus Mariotta at Oregon.

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan

The best part of all this bickering, though is getting to post all the JfN video:sneaky:

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan
Washington did not have much speed, as he was hawked down on many occasions. He was not slow, but he looked like a 4.65-4.75 guy to me.

Tevin is probably the only QB of ours that I would characterize as "not fast," but he made quick decisions and I think that made up for it a bit.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
LOL. I guess. I'm just saying, JfN was faster than you guys are making it out to be. Even on a bum leg he was beating guys in the secondary. If you want to know what Josh looked like at full speed, watch the first half of the 2008 season before injuries took their toll on him. His legs (and our defense) kept us in games during that time.
This was me:

Nesbitt's speed was not constant throughout his career so it depends on which juncture you're talking about. In 2008, he was plenty fast. In 2009 and 10, not so much. Hammies and ankles....

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
balance and agility in tight spaces.

On the game winning score in OT vs Wake in '09, the announcers make a big deal of Dwyers "pancake" block to open the way for Josh and rightfully so. However, what they failed to see was how Josh avoided the tackle of #52 who knifes in completely unblocked and dives at Josh's knees. Agility and balance in tight spaces.

Actually, I was searching for the 4th down play that preceded this one. You know the one were Josh mythically told CPJ "I got this" during the time out... and he DID!

Here's the play you referenced, wait for it, it's after Roddy's td run.

You'd never know that the Jones TD against Georgia was a Georgia network call, would you? That third quarter still rates as the most exciting quarter of GT football in the Johnson era to me. Literally instantaneously we went from 16 down to a tie, followed by that classic Georgia sideline huddle by Richt. I have seen Presbyterian wakes more animated.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This was me:

LOOK-AT-ME-GUYS-LOOK-AT-ME-HEY-HEY.png

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan
Give me the guy that knows how to win aka the "Major Applewhite" of our offense.

That's something JT5 brought to the table that may be hard to replace and that I think is hard to see from simply watching HS film. Thomas was CLUTCH. Hopefully one of these guys in the mix has that same talent for making plays when we need them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Way off the mark on this one. My intention was to point out to you I said the same thing as you. You replied to me and said "You guys...." I was not part of "you guys." I agreed with you the whole time.

Just messin' with ya Cheese. Can't be serious all the time...

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
That's something JT5 brought to the table that may be hard to replace and that I think is hard to see from simply watching HS film. Thomas was CLUTCH. Hopefully one of these guys in the mix has that same talent for making plays when we need them.

That and quick release plus accuracy.

IMO Josh hit top speed at 20-30 yds and had a labored stride past that, so most of his runs were fairly short unlike JT.

However within 20 yards his agility, strength, acceleration, and balance, along with being a mean, determined mofo gave him good football speed and he was a bear to stop. Some similarities to a giant Godhigh.

In the end it's semantics. I consider someone fast if like dwyer they continue to accelerate past 40 yds (aka the extra gear). A homerun hitter like Forrest Gump. In the absolute sense all effective skill guys have good 40 times. Tomato Toemato.