Next years QB

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That and quick release plus accuracy.

IMO Josh hit top speed at 20-30 yds and had a labored stride past that, so most of his runs were fairly short unlike JT.

However within 20 yards his agility, strength, acceleration, and balance, along with being a mean, determined mofo gave him good football speed and he was a bear to stop. Some similarities to a giant Godhigh.

In the end it's semantics. I consider someone fast if like dwyer they continue to accelerate past 40 yds (aka the extra gear). A homerun hitter like Forrest Gump. In the absolute sense all effective skill guys have good 40 times. Tomato Toemato.
Inside, realative to ingame decesions u probably know what I mean when I say certain players "see the future" better than others. Others call that "having the gift" . The ones with it play faster. Imo jets track speed gift was trained as short hs guard in basketball where he had to see, plant, and pass shoot quickly. He could be rolling out and stop on a dime and throw the back shoulder better than anyone we have had.
Robert G had the same gift.
U are right we need the qb to see the future.
Same for our lb crew, but that's a whole subject in its self.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Inside, realative to ingame decesions u probably know what I mean when I say certain players "see the future" better than others. Others call that "having the gift" . The ones with it play faster. Imo jets track speed gift was trained as short hs guard in basketball where he had to see, plant, and pass shoot quickly. He could be rolling out and stop on a dime and throw the back shoulder better than anyone we have had.
Robert G had the same gift.
U are right we need the qb to see the future.
Same for our lb crew, but that's a whole subject in its self.
I hope Thomas does go in the draft as a defensive back. I am really curious as to what an honest measurement and weight would be.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Could be a situational QB in the pro's in a specific package to throw defenses a whole 'nother look. Like a Russell Wilson run/pass option type of package.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If not db are his hands suitable for slot receiver?
Maybe so. I cite D back because that is where Saban wanted him to play at Alabama, or at least try for. Though he does seem awfully small for a corner and way too short for a safety I would think.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe so. I cite D back because that is where Saban wanted him to play at Alabama, or at least try for. Though he does seem awfully small for a corner and way too short for a safety I would think.

Most are going to be surprised by his measurements.
Closer to 5'9.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth, I've always thought that acceleration was far more important than top speed in football.

Give me a guy with a great 10 yard split and a mediocre 40 every time over the opposite.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Watch the Virginia Tech highlights and tell me it won't be Matthew Jordan.

Playing on the road against the #15 team in the country, MJ rushes for 142 yards and 2 touchdowns, and passes for 34 yards and no INT's.

I look at a guy like Will Worth for Navy... He and Matthew Jordan seem to be similar size, similar skills, etc. Although Jordan is an inch taller, a little thicker, and I would argue faster than Will Worth. Worth ran for over 1,300 yards and passed for over 1,300 yards. He executed this offense to perfect for Navy this year. They scored a TON of points with him under center.

45 points
75 points
66 points
42 points
45 points
42 points
46 points
52 points

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I've got neither. Where do I sign?
There is a wonderful urban legend about Jake Gaithers of Florida A&M fame. He was reputed to line up every backfield recruit in position every fall, and time them from snap to reaching the line of scrimmage. They had to be there in some absurdly fast time and those who weren't no longer played offensive backfield for Gaithers. It is too good a story not to be true.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Watch the Virginia Tech highlights and tell me it won't be Matthew Jordan.

Playing on the road against the #15 team in the country, MJ rushes for 142 yards and 2 touchdowns, and passes for 34 yards and no INT's.

I look at a guy like Will Worth for Navy... He and Matthew Jordan seem to be similar size, similar skills, etc. Although Jordan is an inch taller, a little thicker, and I would argue faster than Will Worth. Worth ran for over 1,300 yards and passed for over 1,300 yards. He executed this offense to perfect for Navy this year. They scored a TON of points with him under center.

45 points
75 points
66 points
42 points
45 points
42 points
46 points
52 points
I agree MJ could turn out to be a very good QB for us but there is still stuff to work on. What if teams decide to take him out of the game? Will he be able to make the pitch and be smart with his decisions? CPJ didn't open the play book up very much and we took what VT gave us, but what if we don't get that with other teams? Will he still produce? That game game us a very very very small sample size of MJ and there is so much more to our offense than what we saw. I'm not saying he can't do it I'm just bringing up legitimate things that we will need to see. I want the best QB and if that is MJ then good but if not I'll be fine with whoever CPJ picks. The one thing I will say is none of us know what will end up happening and we don't know if any of the other guys can run our offense better than MJ because we haven't seen them yet. So it's kinda hard for any of us to make an accurate prediction imo. Personally I think Jay Jones has all the tools to be very good but you never know till you see them play.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Lucas Johnson has the most overall potential because of passing ability, but even that is making an assumption. I've never seen TaQuon Marshall throw a football. I know he is an explosive athlete and runner, but can he make the throws? I read from the spring practices that even with no experience at the position or the offense that he was making all the big plays.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Lucas Johnson has the most overall potential because of passing ability, but even that is making an assumption. I've never seen TaQuon Marshall throw a football. I know he is an explosive athlete and runner, but can he make the throws? I read from the spring practices that even with no experience at the position or the offense that he was making all the big plays.
I've only seen him throw to himself.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If MJ ends up being the starting QB, it will be good news for Mills. Having a QB who can run between the tackles will make things pretty difficult for the defense when DM is the other guy slamming forward every play. Things are going to open up in there. It is pretty tough to commit to stopping two legit inside options when a third option still exists.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
If MJ ends up being the starting QB, it will be good news for Mills. Having a QB who can run between the tackles will make things pretty difficult for the defense when DM is the other guy slamming forward every play. Things are going to open up in there. It is pretty tough to commit to stopping two legit inside options when a third option still exists.
I can't wait to see what Matthew can do this season. A physical option quarterback will be brutal for the opposition.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I can't wait to see what Matthew can do this season. A physical option quarterback will be brutal for the opposition.
I think we will look a lot like Navy from this past season. He reminds me of Will Worth. Strong, physical runner that is surprising fast once he gets through the first line of defenders. I ecspect to see a lot of midline and dive plays, gashing the opponents inside and when they load the box, we hit them outside for huge yards. My only question is his ability to complete big passes when we need them.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we will look a lot like Navy from this past season. He reminds me of Will Worth. Strong, physical runner that is surprising fast once he gets through the first line of defenders. I ecspect to see a lot of midline and dive plays, gashing the opponents inside and when they load the box, we hit them outside for huge yards. My only question is his ability to complete big passes when we need them.

Exactly... I think you have a bigger, stronger Will Worth in Matthew Jordan. Like I said above, he rushed for 1,300 and passed for 1,300, and was EXTREMELY effective running this offense for Navy. He may not be super flashy but I think MJ will flat out get the job done.

OR, you go with someone with more "potential", but it just depends on what you want. Passing, you go Lucas Johnson. Running, you go TaQuon Marshall. Both, you go Matthew Jordan. I just hope they don't go multiple QB's.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Exactly... I think you have a bigger, stronger Will Worth in Matthew Jordan. Like I said above, he rushed for 1,300 and passed for 1,300, and was EXTREMELY effective running this offense for Navy. He may not be super flashy but I think MJ will flat out get the job done.

OR, you go with someone with more "potential", but it just depends on what you want. Passing, you go Lucas Johnson. Running, you go TaQuon Marshall. Both, you go Matthew Jordan. I just hope they don't go multiple QB's.
Just wondering, why are you leaving jay Jones out? He is a good passer which CPJ has already stated and he ran the scout team some if I'm not mistaken. He was also recruited by some big schools but at different positions and I think auburn even offered for QB. I think it will be an open completion and you just might get a guy with more "potential" that's actually better than MJ overall.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Just wondering, why are you leaving jay Jones out? He is a good passer which CPJ has already stated and he ran the scout team some if I'm not mistaken. He was also recruited by some big schools but at different positions and I think auburn even offered for QB. I think it will be an open completion and you just might get a guy with more "potential" that's actually better than MJ overall.
If anyone besides Matt Jordan is named starter, it will be a long year. Even Justin Thomas was on the bench for his first two years....