Next years QB

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Now are you talking there about Nesbitt, or about Jordan? Because while I liked a lot about Nesbitt, he was not a sprinter though I recall one burst against Clemson, I believe it was, very late in the game. Jordan has good speed.
Oops. My bad. I thought you were talking about Jordan. Sorry.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I guess I need to remind everybody that MJ, in his first collegiate start as a sub, on the road, beat a top 20 team (in one-sided fashion) that had been giving us fits, in one of the toughest venues to play in as a visitor. He had poise and he played without fear. It is hard to win there and he put us on his back. Questioning his ability after such an impressive result, however flawed, seems a bit strange to me. He has stuff to work on, but I can't remember many wins in Blacksburg over the years.

I agree with this, but I am not sure the TW comparisons are meant to be insulting. I think most fans now appreciate TW as a solid QB, good decision maker, and good game manager. He didn't often win games on his own, but also didn't usually lose them. Remember his first playing time was similarly on the road at VT after Nesbitt broke his arm. He didn't set any records that day, but did okay for himself and led a pretty good 4th quarter effort to almost take the game to OT.

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Tevin Washington 11 45 4.1 0 17

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Tevin Washington 2/7 80 11.4 0 1 20.2

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan
Now are you talking there about Nesbitt, or about Jordan? Because while I liked a lot about Nesbitt, he was not a sprinter though I recall one burst against Clemson, I believe it was, very late in the game. Jordan has good speed.

I think JfN was plenty fast, though obviously Thomas skews everyone's perception. If I recall correctly, JfN played with one or two bum ankles during most of his career here and finally had surgery on them after the 2009 season. He had a 71 yard touchdown run against VT in the 2010 game for what it's worth.

might have had another against Miami in 2008 if he had not been slowed down by the defender grabbing on to his hand warmers...

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I think JfN was plenty fast, though obviously Thomas skews everyone's perception. If I recall correctly, JfN played with one or two bum ankles during most of his career here and finally had surgery on them after the 2009 season. He had a 71 yard touchdown run against VT in the 2010 game for what it's worth.

might have had another against Miami in 2008 if he had not been slowed down by the defender grabbing on to his hand warmers...

I feel like every QB has slowed a bit as the season progressed. IMHO, with some time to heal, JT looked much faster against Miss. St. in the Orange Bowl than he had looked the second half of that season. It is a tough position to play. I am confident we will find a guy to do it and that CPJ will be able to cater the offense to that QB's strengths.

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan
I feel like every QB has slowed a bit as the season progressed. IMHO, with some time to heal, JT looked much faster against Miss. St. in the Orange Bowl than he had looked the second half of that season. It is a tough position to play. I am confident we will find a guy to do it and that CPJ will be able to cater the offense to that QB's strengths.

No doubt.

Hey, I just had a brilliant idea which I am certain has never been proposed on this board before...maybe we should run a two quarterback system...;)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No doubt.

Hey, I just had a brilliant idea which I am certain has never been proposed on this board before...maybe we should run a two quarterback system...;)

Just 2? We're the TRIPLE option offense...haven't you heard?! We should rotate 3 QBs. Heck, while we're at it, we should rotate 3 guys for every position!!!!

:)

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Who's your pick?

I will rate our best on the roster a 10/10 and go from there to give you an idea of how close the others are behind our best passer/runner.
After going back and watching everyone's senior HS film here's my observation:

Best passer:
1. Lucas Johnson 10/10
2. Matthew Jordan 8/10
3. Jay Jones 6/10
4. Tobias Oliver 4/10
5. Taquon Marshall ?/10

Best Runner:
1. Jay Jones 10/10
2. Taquon Marshall 9.5/10
3. Lucas Johnson 9/10
4. Matthew Jordan 7/10
5. Tobias Oliver 5/10

Tennessee Game Depth Chart prediction:

1. Matthew Jordan: Proven player with the most experience in the offense. Physical runner with a good arm and can make most throws.

2. Lucas Johnson: 2nd year in the system. Really good arm and is a better runner than most think. 1-3 on my list of runners was a narrow margin. I think he will be our starter at some point next year.

3. Jay Jones: 2nd year in the system. Strong arm and good speed and strength as a runner. It was a toss up between him and Taquon as best runner.

4. Taquon Marshall: 2nd year QB. Don't know much about his passing ability, his HS tape was all runs. Shifty and good speed as a runner.

5. Tobias Oliver: 1st year player. Good arm strength and good runner. Reminds me a lot of Matthew Jordan as a runner just not as fluid. He stumbles a lot on his tape.

How are we rating guys who we've never seen take a snap above the high school level with 9s and 10s out of 10? That seems a little ridiculous to me. Can we pump the breaks here a little bit?

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
IMHO, MJ is gonna be Nesbit/Byerly v2.0 - very hard to stop behind the line on the follow...

I personally think he has a very strong arm - if he learns how to throw accurately, and if he becomes more comfortable with reads and making decisive pitches, I think he'll be a helluva QB for CPJ...

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
How are we rating guys who we've never seen take a snap above the high school level with 9s and 10s out of 10? That seems a little ridiculous to me. Can we pump the breaks here a little bit?
You didn't read the post? I said I will rate our best on the roster a 10/10 and go from there.

Last edited:

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Two classic football messageboard things from this thread:

Confusing a good player with a good prospect.

Confusing being fast (speed you top out at) with burst, football speed (ability to reaccelerate after contact + balance+ seeing the field) etc.

Nesbitt was not fast, but he had an elite burst and was a devasting 1 cut runner who had balance and power, and saw the hole and exploded through it.

Jordan IMO has some dynamic running skills and is going to suprise some folks if he gets regular snaps. Outrunning the VT defense was interesting.

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan
Two classic football messageboard things from this thread:

Nesbitt was not fast, but he had an elite burst and was a devasting 1 cut runner who had balance and power, and saw the hole and exploded through it.

Jordan IMO has some dynamic running skills and is going to suprise some folks if he gets regular snaps. Outrunning the VT defense was interesting.

Meh. "Fast" is a relative term, I was mostly posting in response to the assertion that Nesbitt was "not fast," which i read as slow; again, another relative term. I don't think Nesbitt was slow, and I'm not sure I think Jordan is significantly faster than Nesbitt was when he was healthy. A quick google of their 40 times seems to confirm that, though I know its not an apples to apples comparison. For the hell of it, here's Joshua's run against VT (and yes, I realize the VT defense closes toward the end :sneaky:):

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Meh. "Fast" is a relative term, I was mostly posting in response to the assertion that Nesbitt was "not fast," which i read as slow; again, another relative term. I don't think Nesbitt was slow, and I'm not sure I think Jordan is significantly faster than Nesbitt was when he was healthy. A quick google of their 40 times seems to confirm that, though I know its not an apples to apples comparison. For the hell of it, here's Joshua's run against VT (and yes, I realize the VT defense closes toward the end :sneaky:):

Nesbitt's speed was not constant throughout his career so it depends on which juncture you're talking about. In 2008, he was plenty fast. In 2009 and 10, not so much. Hammies and ankles....

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan
Nesbitt's speed was not constant throughout his career so it depends on which juncture you're talking about. In 2008, he was plenty fast. In 2009 and 10, not so much. Hammies and ankles....

Definitely True.

Anyway, Jordan has all the tools from a running standpoint to be great in this offense, but he's got to throw better than he did against VT last year. I went back and watched that game recently and his first throw looks good, but everything after that is pretty ugly.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

Josh's run vs VT there was all about angle, blocking and nobody home in the center of the field. As you point out a VT defender is closing very quickly at the end

Comparing 40 times is irrelevant because I am talking about speed PAST 40 yards. Dwyer ran a 4.5 but you get him past 30 yards and his track pedigree/sprinter's form kicks in and he just runs away from people.

In Jordan's run he is running away from VT's DBs. I'm not saying Jordan is some blazer like Dwyer, I'm just saying if you look at his running form Jordan has very little wasted motion. Showed in his HS film too....lots of long runs.

I don't think my opinion is any more right or valuable than yours, though. I could absolutely wrong, and time will tell. Just fun to BS on a messageboard :sneaky:.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I think that illustrates his point about burst speed. he got separation quickly and then kind gutted it out to the end.