Next years QB

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Who's your pick?

I will rate our best on the roster a 10/10 and go from there to give you an idea of how close the others are behind our best passer/runner.
After going back and watching everyone's senior HS film here's my observation:

Best passer:
1. Lucas Johnson 10/10
2. Matthew Jordan 8/10
3. Jay Jones 6/10
4. Tobias Oliver 4/10
5. Taquon Marshall ?/10

Best Runner:
1. Jay Jones 10/10
2. Taquon Marshall 9.5/10
3. Lucas Johnson 9/10
4. Matthew Jordan 7/10
5. Tobias Oliver 5/10

Tennessee Game Depth Chart prediction:

1. Matthew Jordan: Proven player with the most experience in the offense. Physical runner with a good arm and can make most throws.

2. Lucas Johnson: 2nd year in the system. Really good arm and is a better runner than most think. 1-3 on my list of runners was a narrow margin. I think he will be our starter at some point next year.

3. Jay Jones: 2nd year in the system. Strong arm and good speed and strength as a runner. It was a toss up between him and Taquon as best runner.

4. Taquon Marshall: 2nd year QB. Don't know much about his passing ability, his HS tape was all runs. Shifty and good speed as a runner.

5. Tobias Oliver: 1st year player. Good arm strength and good runner. Reminds me a lot of Matthew Jordan as a runner just not as fluid. He stumbles a lot on his tape.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Our offense is really hard to execute. I think many are underestimating this when they point to the abilities of those other than MJ as a reason they should start. Being a better passer or runner does not necessarily make you the best QB for Georgia Tech.

If any of our backups is able to beat him out then we are going to be in really good shape.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Jordan is a better runner and worse passer than you rate him from what I've seen. He's not JT, but he doesn't get caught from behind when he gets a breakaway run. He's faster than Tevin and Nesbitt IMO. No, he doesn't have wiggle, but dancing around has less of a premium in our offense, where you're trying to make things hit the defense quickly. He's not as physical as Josh, but he is strong enough to lean forward and get a yard when needed. After rewatching the Va Tech game, he's still the worst looking passer CPJ has had here, though.

The others I can't make a judgment on until I see them live in a game at the D1 level.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Who's your pick?

I will rate our best on the roster a 10/10 and go from there to give you an idea of how close the others are behind our best passer/runner.

Best passer:
1. Lucas Johnson 10/10
2. Matthew Jordan 8/10
3. Jay Jones 6/10
4. Tobias Oliver 4/10
5. Taquon Marshall ?/10

Best Runner:
1. Jay Jones 10/10
3. Lucas Johnson 9/10
4. Matthew Jordan 7/10
5. Tobias Oliver 5/10

1. Matthew Jordan: Proven player with the most experience in the offense. Physical runner with a good arm and can make most throws.

2. Lucas Johnson: 2nd year in the system. Really good arm and is a better runner than most think. 1-3 on my list of runners was a narrow margin. I think he will be our starter at some point next year.

3. Jay Jones: 2nd year in the system. Strong arm and good speed and strength as a runner. It was a toss up between him and Taquon as best runner.

4. Taquon Marshall: 2nd year QB. Don't know much about his passing ability, his HS tape was all runs. Shifty and good speed as a runner.

5. Tobias Oliver: 1st year player. Good arm strength and good runner. Reminds me a lot of Matthew Jordan as a runner just not as fluid. He stumbles a lot on his tape.

Unless someone is heads and shoulders better than Jordan, Jordan will start. IMO, Jordan and Johnson will remain 1 and 2 for most of the year unless that head and shoulders thing comes into to play.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I have yet to see high school film that means squat to one of our qbs in our system.

I can tell you this. CPJ HAS NEVER gotten the starting qb wrong imo. So rest assure who he chooses is the right guy for at least the first few games (ie if its a close race the 2 could supplant 1 as the year wears on if he improves etc)

So for me there is no projection you can make. Its a wild blind guess. All we know is MJ appears to be the leg up going into spring but until i see spring practice I personally cant say one thing

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have yet to see high school film that means squat to one of our qbs in our system.

I can tell you this. CPJ HAS NEVER gotten the starting qb wrong imo. So rest assure who he chooses is the right guy for at least the first few games (ie if its a close race the 2 could supplant 1 as the year wears on if he improves etc)

So for me there is no projection you can make. Its a wild blind guess. All we know is MJ appears to be the leg up going into spring but until i see spring practice I personally cant say one thing
Here's a data point for you, MJ has three times as many reps as anybody else. Also he's the only guy with game reps.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing I've learned in CPJ's 9 years at GT, the QB position never turns out how fans think it should. Everyone thought we would be in good hands should Nesbitt get injured (he did) because Jaybo Shaw played well in relief (he did). He was going to be a great bridge for the next QB...then Jaybo transfers. No one thought Tevin would ever see playing time as a QB, but he held on for two and a half years. We all thought Vad was going to overtake Tevin (he didn't) and become the star QB to take GT's offense to the next level (he wasn't). About the only QB that turned out the way we thought was JeT...but even with him we learned that if the supporting cast isn't there, a great QB in this offense can't do it by himself (see: 2015).

So whoever becomes the starter for GT, will be the best guy for the job. I know some of us have favorites based on what we'd like the offense to do, but 9 years has shown me CPJ will put the best guy out there regardless of talent levels. If it's MJ, I have confidence he can win us games (he has), and if it's one of the freshmen, it'll be because they earned it.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching the guys compete.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Here's a data point for you, MJ has three times as many reps as anybody else. Also he's the only guy with game reps.

It doesnt matter. Paul will pick the best player for game 1. If its mj great. If not great. Paul will select the best one; i think we can trust that.

But if Lucas or taquon or whoever is better. They play i think.

Paul is not going to go just on experience like some coaches do imo. Sure it helps mj; since he has had more time he should play better....but i believe every guy will have an equal shot at this one come spring.

Also its my opinion mj has difficulty doing some things in this offense. Will need spring to solidify my opinion or not. It may be unfounded. We will see.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Who's your pick?

Best passer:
1. Lucas Johnson 10/10
2. Matthew Jordan 8/10
3. Jay Jones 6/10
4. Tobias Oliver 4/10
5. Taquon Marshall ?/10

Best Runner:
1. Jay Jones 10/10
3. Lucas Johnson 9/10
4. Matthew Jordan 7/10
5. Tobias Oliver 5/10

I think jay Jones has a better arm than most think, if I'm not mistaken CPJ has said it's very good. He also ran the scout team.Imo he has a good chance to win the starting job. Jordan will be a consistent guy but I think jay Jones brings more of an athleticism and big play ability, it will just be a matter if he makes the right reads.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Jordan is a better runner and worse passer than you rate him from what I've seen. He's not JT, but he doesn't get caught from behind when he gets a breakaway run. He's faster than Tevin and Nesbitt IMO. No, he doesn't have wiggle, but dancing around has less of a premium in our offense, where you're trying to make things hit the defense quickly. He's not as physical as Josh, but he is strong enough to lean forward and get a yard when needed. After rewatching the Va Tech game, he's still the worst looking passer CPJ has had here, though.

The others I can't make a judgment on until I see them live in a game at the D1 level.
I was going by Jordan's HS tape.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have never been wrong, but after the 1999 season knowing Joe Hamilton played in his last game I just knew someone else would need to be our starter in 2000 other then Godsey he was just too slow. ( OK I was wrong once )
But before I got married I just knew my mother-in-law would be easy to get along with but after I got married that was not the case( OK I have been wrong twice )
Also at a New Years Eve party I just knew it would be OK to drink beer and moonshine ( guess I was wrong again)

Now thinking about my track record I will not pick one and just be happy to see who CPJ picks.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Jordan is not a bad runner at all. Not sure where that got started. There's a certain level of athleticism and ability that our coaches recruit to at QB, and if our coaches think someone is worth the scholarship it's because they can perform well enough in the physical aspects of the job. Let's not forget, MJ was going to play AB before all the injuries in 2015. Our coaches also said he could have played WR for us as well. You don't play those two positions if you don't have running ability.

Jordan may not be able to beat JeT in a foot race, but I doubt many players at any position could on our team.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Jordan is not a bad runner at all. Not sure where that got started. There's a certain level of athleticism and ability that our coaches recruit to at QB, and if our coaches think someone is worth the scholarship it's because they can perform well enough in the physical aspects of the job. Let's not forget, MJ was going to play AB before all the injuries in 2015. Our coaches also said he could have played WR for us as well. You don't play those two positions if you don't have running ability.

Jordan may not be able to beat JeT in a foot race, but I doubt many players at any position could on our team.

Very good point, iirc Jordan was a 110 meter hurdler in HS and was highly ranked as a hurdler.