Next years QB

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think it's Matthew Jordan and no real contest.

He's big and he can run fast and hard; a combo we haven't had since Nesbitt. He can throw; look at his HS film. He also knows how to run the O in a game situation. Another plus is that he has a world of confidence in himself, confidence based on how he has performed so far in game situations. Bottom line = he's a faster version of Will Worth and I suspect he'll be as successful or more so.

Number 2 is more difficult. I would guess a race between Marshall and Johnson. Taquan has the main requisite; he can run, albeit without Jordan's power. Since he'll be able to hand off to Mills, this shouldn't be that big a problem. He also has game experience. Further, I'm betting he can make a mid-range throw. Johnson has more overall talent and, since Taquan could move back to AB, he might be the choice. He seems comfortable with the TO in his HS films. If we go to a real QB/BB offense next year - and we will - then Jones has a chance since he's the closest to Jordan in terms of running ability.

But, like I keep saying, I'm glad they pay Coach to make these decisions.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I see jordan as no worse than a rich man's tevin washington, which is pretty daggone good.
He's not at Tevin's level now. Every time he goes to pitch the ball I hold my breath. He keeps a lot when he should pitch anyway. Now, I think his upside exceeds Tevin's by a little bit because he's probably a little faster and a little stronger/harder to tackle. Tevin was a master at running the offense. MJ's not even close right now. I doubt he even has the whole playbook open to him yet.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
He's not at Tevin's level now. Every time he goes to pitch the ball I hold my breath. He keeps a lot when he should pitch anyway. Now, I think his upside exceeds Tevin's by a little bit because he's probably a little faster and a little stronger/harder to tackle. Tevin was a master at running the offense. MJ's not even close right now. I doubt he even has the whole playbook open to him yet.

Add in that MJ has a much stronger arm than TW. I agree he's nowhere near the master of the O that TW was but he's got all the tools ;) And 2 pretty good QBs to learn from!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think it's Matthew Jordan and no real contest.

He's big and he can run fast and hard; a combo we haven't had since Nesbitt. He can throw; look at his HS film. He also knows how to run the O in a game situation. Another plus is that he has a world of confidence in himself, confidence based on how he has performed so far in game situations. Bottom line = he's a faster version of Will Worth and I suspect he'll be as successful or more so.

Number 2 is more difficult. I would guess a race between Marshall and Johnson. Taquan has the main requisite; he can run, albeit without Jordan's power. Since he'll be able to hand off to Mills, this shouldn't be that big a problem. He also has game experience. Further, I'm betting he can make a mid-range throw. Johnson has more overall talent and, since Taquan could move back to AB, he might be the choice. He seems comfortable with the TO in his HS films. If we go to a real QB/BB offense next year - and we will - then Jones has a chance since he's the closest to Jordan in terms of running ability.

But, like I keep saying, I'm glad they pay Coach to make these decisions.
Big and run hard for sure. Fast he was not.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Well his first serious playing time vs. TW's was definitely better (both against VT of course)

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly the downside to MJ as of today is his lack of passing skills shown in game time situations. However, the idea of this offensive line and "hopefully" DMills all season long is a nightmare. A lot of power football. I live in the Knoxville area and honestly I think we blow out the Vols next year in Atlanta. Being around the program and having my ear to the ground hearing not great things coming out of the program. Mark my words, Butch Jones with either be gone near the end of the season or after its conclusion. They lose a lot of players on both sides and we return a lot on both sides that play into our strengths. No matter who it is can't wait for next year.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
I also think its easy to overlook the difference Spring Camp, Summer, and Fall Camp can make on a QBs confidence/connection with receivers. MJ will be getting first team reps with the receivers all offseason and I think he will show a lot of improvement in passing from what we have seen so far. Even JT looked pretty rough as a passer in this years spring game, but he definitely improved by the start of the season. MJ has the ability, he just needs the reps.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmmmm. You did see the breakout run against VT, didn't you? He was gaining on the VT DBs all the way to the end zone. I might also refer you to his HS film.

I think he was put at AB in 2015 because he had the speed to play the position. I'll take that.
Now are you talking there about Nesbitt, or about Jordan? Because while I liked a lot about Nesbitt, he was not a sprinter though I recall one burst against Clemson, I believe it was, very late in the game. Jordan has good speed.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess I need to remind everybody that MJ, in his first collegiate start as a sub, on the road, beat a top 20 team (in one-sided fashion) that had been giving us fits, in one of the toughest venues to play in as a visitor. He had poise and he played without fear. It is hard to win there and he put us on his back. Questioning his ability after such an impressive result, however flawed, seems a bit strange to me. He has stuff to work on, but I can't remember many wins in Blacksburg over the years.

After watching film, both Johnson and Jones look like good runners. Jones has good touch and a strong arm, but he will need to speed up his release a bit. Hopefully he has already worked on that. Lucas can throw. If he can adjust to the speed of the college game, he could be good. Both those guys had an easy time with HS players defending them. College is a big jump. I will wait to see some results in scrimmages etc before developing any meaningful opinion.