Myles Sims Committed (Michigan transfer)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm at a loss to understand why there's a controversy here. Tech's math requirements have been a pain in the backside of every coach since William Alexander. Dodd use to complain about them and the problems they caused for recruiting all the time. We've done ok anyhow, even as those requirements have increased and admissions standards have become more stringent. This is largely because our coaches have convinced The Hill that the tutoring system works so that athletes admitted under exceptions can succeed. (Btw, this has been a continuing effort; Paul was just the last in a long line of coaches who fought this battle, over and over. Ask any old line Tech fan about this.)

Tech does have the kind of requirements that you would expect from a technical institution. Those requirements are different and have and will cause problems getting some athletes into Tech that would help our football program. The coaches have to work around that and, in general, have. This situation is very unlikely to change. And the program has been much more successful then the average anyway. Tech aren't Bammer, but it ain't bad either.

Animal02

Banned
I'm at a loss to understand why there's a controversy here. Tech's math requirements have been a pain in the backside of every coach since William Alexander. Dodd use to complain about them and the problems they caused for recruiting all the time. We've done ok anyhow, even as those requirements have increased and admissions standards have become more stringent. This is largely because our coaches have convinced The Hill that the tutoring system works so that athletes admitted under exceptions can succeed. (Btw, this has been a continuing effort; Paul was just the last in a long line of coaches who fought this battle, over and over. Ask any old line Tech fan about this.)

Tech does have the kind of requirements that you would expect from a technical institution. Those requirements are different and have and will cause problems getting some athletes into Tech that would help our football program. The coaches have to work around that and, in general, have. This situation is very unlikely to change. And the program has been much more successful then the average anyway. Tech aren't Bammer, but it ain't bad either.
The controversy is several posters here ALWAYS hand wave away academic issues WRT recruiting, etc.

Animal02

Banned
I hope he can play but it seems pretty clear he was not in the Michigan mix. Could be problematic.
Mike Zordich, Michigan’s cornerbacks coach, did not mention Sims when he was offering an evaluation of the corners during a news conference earlier this week.

He was then asked about Sims and what he needs to do to get into the mix.

“He’s just got to be more consistent,” Zordich said. “He put together a couple nice practices and then he just kind of … just got to stay and get better every day. He’s got the skill set. He has it."
"He’s just got to get consistent.”

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Despite the hand wavers protests regarding Tech's math requirements.......you are correct.
I looked up several of the ACC schools and required math based on the most popular major
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...16-power-5-conference-football-players#slide1

U of Louisville - Communications - Could not find any math course required
Duke - Evolutionary Anthropology - Could not find any math course required
Pitt - Arts and Science (BA) - Could not find any math course required
UNC - Exercise Science - Math 110 (Algebra) 3 hr
U of Miami - Arts & Science - Pre Calc. - 3hr
UVA - Arts & Science - Survey of Calc and Algebra 4 hrs
FSU - Sociology - GE Math 1&2 - 6 hrs
VT - Business - Elem Calc - 6 hrs
GT - Intro to Diff Cal and Linear Algebra - 8 Hrs
Duke requires all "liberal arts" majors to pass 2 courses in "Quantitative Studies", one of which is either Math, CS or Statistics. So you could get out of there without taking calc.

Cannot speak for "most" liberal arts schools, but they are generally more "difficult" than larger state schools (and duke) especially those that are anywhere near comparable to Tech. They certainly require Calculus.

Interestingly, Stanford now does not require any math for many of the BAs offered.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I hope he can play but it seems pretty clear he was not in the Michigan mix. Could be problematic.
Just what does being “in the mix” st Michigan have to do with being “in the mix” at Tech? I love our guys but would bet the talent level in the DB group st Michigan is just a wee bit higher

Animal02

Banned
Duke requires all "liberal arts" majors to pass 2 courses in "Quantitative Studies", one of which is either Math, CS or Statistics. So you could get out of there without taking calc.

Cannot speak for "most" liberal arts schools, but they are generally more "difficult" than larger state schools (and duke) especially those that are anywhere near comparable to Tech. They certainly require Calculus.

Interestingly, Stanford now does not require any math for many of the BAs offered.
I believe that what @Supersizethatorder-mutt was referring to was liberal arts, as in BA programs, at most D1 schools.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

THIS. im also an tosu alum but gt comes first. and it comes first because it is special. our beloved ma tech has competed with the big boys in fb. we have more than one nc and we are more relevant that ugag. and we did it WITH the constraints in place.

as ive said before i loved going to gt and id love to come back. i miss gt. i worked for almost 10 years before i went back to school so tech was like a VACATION. heh

anyhooo i loved cpj and will miss him. i also love coach gc and what he is doing. he is nerding us into the national lime light.

i know we are going to win at a higher rate than before. i am even thinking we will win significantly more than before. my only concerns is that we continue to do it the TECH way. id love to see our grad rates continue to climb and we stay out of trouble!

as with all change comes renewed interest and excitement. i could not be happier. SO FAR!

id still love a paul johnson day. imo he deserves to be sent out in style. he is a good man and would be a great representative for the school. the bc of football.

go jackets

gt pi

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I wanna see Skeptic say something positive...about anything. It would be amazing.
I am absolutely positive we should not bet the house on players fleeing competition who land at GT and positive it means he thinks it will be easier, else why bother? As opposed to graduate transfers who have weathered position and playing time battles. And just as positive I have read on this very board, right here in river city, Tech players who transferred out being eviscerated with attacks that made my comment a mere observation on the weather. Now that is amazing. Just because it is a football message board doesn't mean we should check our brains at the door. (Somewhere in there are metaphors mixing it up.)

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Players transferring out of GT: Elite playmakers who are All-ACC or All-American caliber and irreplacable by the current roster. Failure to retain them is indicative of a poor sales job by CGC.

Players transferring into GT: Low-level players fleeing competition, who lack drive and/or desire. Their addition is depth at best.

Or at least that's what I've tended to see so far. Sims was offered by Alabama, Clemson, and Michigan among many others just a year ago. Surprised people are even thinking he may be baggage on our team. The three 4* transfers we've gotten have been incredible additions.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I am absolutely positive we should not bet the house on players fleeing competition who land at GT and positive it means he thinks it will be easier, else why bother? As opposed to graduate transfers who have weathered position and playing time battles. And just as positive I have read on this very board, right here in river city, Tech players who transferred out being eviscerated with attacks that made my comment a mere observation on the weather. Now that is amazing. Just because it is a football message board doesn't mean we should check our brains at the door. (Somewhere in there are metaphors mixing it up.)

Lol. Yeah, that wasn't what I meant by "positive". And who on earth has "eviscerated" any of our guys who have transferred?