Myles Sims Committed (Michigan transfer)

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
True, but athletes also have to make progress to their degree, so even coming from great places it might be hard if their major was not offered here or they were behind on a math requirement, etc.

The fiction on this board that our liberal arts majors require a lot of math is a fiction that I wish would go away.

You are correct that while our recruiting at DB has been relatively good, there is a skill set difference between CB and S. We've recruited better at S than at CB.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The fiction on this board that our liberal arts majors require a lot of math is a fiction that I wish would go away.

You are correct that while our recruiting at DB has been relatively good, there is a skill set difference between CB and S. We've recruited better at S than at CB.

Most of our athletes major in Business Administration, which requires 8 hours of Math (generally calc and finite math) in the core before getting into a bit more math in the major. While it's not a math degree, it requires a decent bit of math. Michigan, conversely, has a general studies major that a LOT of their athletes pursue. Grand total of three math credits required. Huge difference.

Our liberal arts majors may not require a "lot of math," but they definitely require more math than is required at any liberal arts university.

Jacket 83

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this but what is the status of the big guy we got from Florida? Is his waiver still undecided? I would sure like to see him, and some of the other transfers on the field this year.

slugboy

Staff member
Since 1) admissions needs to sign off on transfers and 2) the AA has maintained a high APR across sports for the last decade and also has to provide the scholarship, I’m going to extend the benefit of the doubt that he has a reasonable chance of progressing academically on plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
It was almost half a century ago when I took it, but what is the big deal with calculus. It was just another math, not much different from algebra, trig or geometry. I had much less trouble with calculus than I did with the literature composition courses.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Between Clayton, Sims and Ezzard plus Davis.. we've had a heck of an offseason with transfers.
and if things keep on the up ward trend..... next year should be one hell of a class.

i think that the folks who run the recruiting sites would be wise to react to the 'player portal' and transfers by adding them to the team scores.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Since 1) admissions needs to sign off on transfers and 2) the AA has maintained a high APR across sports for the last decade and also has to provide the scholarship, I’m going to extend the benefit of the doubt that he has a reasonable chance of progressing academically on plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems a safe bet.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
and if things keep on the up ward trend..... next year should be one hell of a class.

i think that the folks who run the recruiting sites would be wise to react to the 'player portal' and transfers by adding them to the team scores.
I guess they should if they counted in the class number.

Animal02

Banned
Our liberal arts majors may not require a "lot of math," but they definitely require more math than is required at any liberal arts university.
Despite the hand wavers protests regarding Tech's math requirements.......you are correct.
I looked up several of the ACC schools and required math based on the most popular major
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...16-power-5-conference-football-players#slide1

U of Louisville - Communications - Could not find any math course required
Duke - Evolutionary Anthropology - Could not find any math course required
Pitt - Arts and Science (BA) - Could not find any math course required
UNC - Exercise Science - Math 110 (Algebra) 3 hr
U of Miami - Arts & Science - Pre Calc. - 3hr
UVA - Arts & Science - Survey of Calc and Algebra 4 hrs
FSU - Sociology - GE Math 1&2 - 6 hrs
VT - Business - Elem Calc - 6 hrs
GT - Intro to Diff Cal and Linear Algebra - 8 Hrs

Animal02

Banned
Most of our athletes major in Business Administration, which requires 8 hours of Math (generally calc and finite math) in the core before getting into a bit more math in the major. While it's not a math degree, it requires a decent bit of math. Michigan, conversely, has a general studies major that a LOT of their athletes pursue. Grand total of three math credits required. Huge difference.
The only fiction on this board is the hand wavers that claim GT math requirements are no different than anywhere else.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Not only Math but I’m pretty sure 3 yrs of foreign language is requirement as well. I remember being on my OV with guy who we thought was going to commit, but couldn’t bc he didn’t have that requirement

LibertyTurns

Banned
Don’t they still shuttle player up the road to take Calculus or flush them thru that distance learning course? Hey you still have to pass the tests but it’s not like they’re all humping their way to Skiles and getting hammered by some pointy head racing his way thru a 45lb calculus book in 15 weeks.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Not only Math but I’m pretty sure 3 yrs of foreign language is requirement as well. I remember being on my OV with guy who we thought was going to commit, but couldn’t bc he didn’t have that requirement
It's 6 hours of what are called "humanities" now. Here's the course list. If you want to fill it with a language, that's 2 semesters of a language (note: you can't just do one language class, you have to do Spanish 1 AND Spanish 2 to count credits for both). There are some other interesting ones scattered in there like history, culture in other countries, film, Shakespeare, creative writing, etc. The classes are actually a pretty refreshing break from doing formulas and lab reports.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The 3 years is a requirement of all Georgia colleges in order to be accepted.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Don’t they still shuttle player up the road to take Calculus or flush them thru that distance learning course? Hey you still have to pass the tests but it’s not like they’re all humping their way to Skiles and getting hammered by some pointy head racing his way thru a 45lb calculus book in 15 weeks.
Both of mine were in Skiles. Some use to take it in the summer with old GA Perimeter but I’m not sure if that’s a thing anymore.

Half of the Finite class semester was about Texas Hold em as part of teaching computations & permutations