Myles Sims Committed (Michigan transfer)

Animal02

Banned
No calculus in high school, but I took the first 2 quarters at a junior college. That definitely helped.

Calculus including Dif - eq's, no problem. All non-technical classes especially those with writing- no problem. Physics 2 with crazy prof - problem :) And, what is funny is that I made A's in my junior level e-mag classes.
Calc was used as a road block in Arch. You could not take 3rd year studio without passing Calc. Had nothing to do with the studio......just a way to get people to drop.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Calc was used as a road block in Arch. You could not take 3rd year studio without passing Calc. Had nothing to do with the studio......just a way to get people to drop.

There is no doubt that agendas were being implemented. Dr. White basically told the junior level profs in EE to make sure the avg. gpa was 2.4 - that meant a lot of C's and D's had to be given out to upper classmen. It was painful, but rewarding.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Duke requires all "liberal arts" majors to pass 2 courses in "Quantitative Studies", one of which is either Math, CS or Statistics. So you could get out of there without taking calc.

Cannot speak for "most" liberal arts schools, but they are generally more "difficult" than larger state schools (and duke) especially those that are anywhere near comparable to Tech. They certainly require Calculus.

Interestingly, Stanford now does not require any math for many of the BAs offered.

Stanford is similar to Duke in that you don't have to go near calculus to get your degree. The Seahawks/49ers DB Sherman was a Communications major. Courses are here:
https://exploredegrees.stanford.edu/schoolofhumanitiesandsciences/communication/#courseinventory

It looks similar to STAC or HST at GT with the exception of the calculus requirements.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Who are these fictional characters demanding consensus? All I see are people expressing opinions just like you describe. If my opinion is that somebody else's opinion is dumb, I will say so. I enjoy a good faith debate, but you always resort to whining that people are policing your thoughts whenever they disagree with you.

I wanna see Skeptic say something positive...about anything. It would be amazing.

Let me present exhibit A.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
It usually happens when some guys like to hint around that GT isn’t very hard. All you need is lotta tutors.

Yea and it usually seems to be guys that, you know, actually played a sport at GT. Then people like yourself and someone I have on ignore (who didn’t play a sport at GT) tell them/us we’re wrong.

Nobody is saying it’s a cake walk, but it’s definitely not as hard as some of you make it out to be. My GPA was actually higher at GT than it was in HS. Some if that is due to maturity and the necessity to keep HOPE for my school to be fully paid for, but after I got a little wake up call first semester, it wasn’t that bad. It just takes effort. The right kids will put forth the effort.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yea and it usually seems to be guys that, you know, actually played a sport at GT. Then people like yourself and someone I have on ignore (who didn’t play a sport at GT) tell them/us we’re wrong.

Nobody is saying it’s a cake walk, but it’s definitely not as hard as some of you make it out to be. My GPA was actually higher at GT than it was in HS. Some if that is due to maturity and the necessity to keep HOPE for my school to be fully paid for, but after I got a little wake up call first semester, it wasn’t that bad. It just takes effort. The right kids will put forth the effort.
Not 100% of the time obviously, but winners usually find a way.

slugboy

Staff member
We have this weird habit in recruiting or transfer threads
1. People discuss the player
2. Other people see the discussion
3. Other people don’t respond about the player
4. Reply with calculus

It’s not like any of us have seen his transcript

He’s not guaranteed to be a rock star, but based on his background the odds are above average that he’ll be a valuable contributor at least. Maybe not, but that’s true of every player until they show themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTurns

Banned
We have this weird habit in recruiting or transfer threads
1. People discuss the player
2. Other people see the discussion
3. Other people don’t respond about the player
4. Reply with calculus

It’s not like any of us have seen his transcript

He’s not guaranteed to be a rock star, but based on his background the odds are above average that he’ll be a valuable contributor at least. Maybe not, but that’s true of every player until they show themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe a lot of people have difficulty with differentiation? Perhaps a basic understanding of Calculus would help?