Mills

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
CPJ stated that DM was getting the start. That's pretty clear. Also, MM will get plenty of carries, I'm sure. But I see no logic in giving the start to a kid who you only see getting 30% of the carries.
this and Mills is no longer returning kickoffs because he is the starter if he is your 2nd best BBack he could still return kicks

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That being said, if Mills is the Alpha and is gonna take the majority of the snaps at BB, then MM will end up starting at AB at some point imo. MM is waaaay too good not to be on the field full time."

If he's splitting carries at BB it will be better than starting at AB. Typically, AB's get 6-9 carries a game. A couple of good series at BB will net the same and help with spelling the other BB.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
CPJ stated that DM was getting the start. That's pretty clear. Also, MM will get plenty of carries, I'm sure. But I see no logic in giving the start to a kid who you only see getting 30% of the carries.
I'm not going to argue, but he never said Mills was the starter. He's maintained they are 1A and 1B and that the reason Mills is first is "Marcus has missed a few practices and when he did Dedrick's done everything we've asked him to do, but it's like I said those guys are kind of 1A and 1B. They're both going to play a lot" He went on to say they'll script the first 2 drives and whichever one gets hot will stay in, but both are going to play a lot. I don't have a horse in the race, I'm just stating I won't be surprised to see Marcus in there more.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/6/9/7/697136...ce3dae902ea1d06cf8531d4cf5fdabf&c_id=12611923

Comments right around 1:30

Selfishly I hope one breaks away from the other and we get a 1000 yard rusher at B-back again. I think it'll help recruiting. That's just a personal opinion though, and the team is certainly better off with 2 guys who can be "the guy"

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not going to argue, but he never said Mills was the starter. He's maintained they are 1A and 1B and that the reason Mills is first is "Marcus has missed a few practices and when he did Dedrick's done everything we've asked him to do, but it's like I said those guys are kind of 1A and 1B. They're both going to play a lot" He went on to say they'll script the first 2 drives and whichever one gets hot will stay in, but both are going to play a lot. I don't have a horse in the race, I'm just stating I won't be surprised to see Marcus in there more.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/6/9/7/697136...ce3dae902ea1d06cf8531d4cf5fdabf&c_id=12611923

Selfishly I hope one breaks away from the other and we get a 1000 yard rusher at B-back again. I think it'll help recruiting. That's just a personal opinion though, and the team is certainly better off with 2 guys who can be "the guy"

No need for us to argue about this and hijack the thread, but coach said Mills would start. He went on to say they'd both play a lot, yes. They're going to script a couple drives for DM. Doesn't mean they aren't 1A and 1B. They are. But only one can take the first snap. That's DM as of now.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

CPJs exact words: “Those two guys are both going to play a lot,” Johnson said. “Dedrick’s going to end up getting the starting job. He’s the starter at B-back. He’s kind of earned it during the spring and fall camp.”

Source: http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/dedrick-mills-to-get-start-at-b-back-for-georgia-t/nsNzp/

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
BC has a better idea of what we are going to do in this offense. Mills is a load coming into the line and may force the MLB to stay home a step longer to help. Marcus missed a few days with injury which allowed Mills to move up in the rotation with more reps and PJ is probably concerned about ball security. Both of these guys appear to be good players and with just a little bit of blocking they should both have good years.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
If Mills is hot from the start, MM may have to wait a couple of series depending on Dedrick's stamina or how the game is going.

I am like @Milwaukee and still very high on MM and wouldn't mind seeing him at AB a little if Mills takes most of the carries but I would want him to be able to play both positions because he's kind of an in between. Just big enough to play BB but fast enough to play AB. Whatever gets him the most touches and opportunities in space.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Put yourself in the position of the coach. What would you do? I know what I would do. The guy who has earned the top spot on the depth chart(DM) will start the game. The next guy (MM) will get the third series. After that point, the depth chart means nothing. Which ever kid is giving us the most MOJO will be the new number 1 on the depth chart before the first half ends. I don't blame anybody who follows the Jackets making a lot out of the BB situation, but let's face it, the depth chart is a fluid thing, just like battle plans.

ACC Bee

Banned
Put yourself in the position of the coach. What would you do? I know what I would do. The guy who has earned the top spot on the depth chart(DM) will start the game. The next guy (MM) will get the third series. After that point, the depth chart means nothing. Which ever kid is giving us the most MOJO will be the new number 1 on the depth chart before the first half ends. I don't blame anybody who follows the Jackets making a lot out of the BB situation, but let's face it, the depth chart is a fluid thing, just like battle plans.
I respectfully disagree. If BC defense DM getting the ball 3 times in a row to start the game, it would be dumb not to sub him out for a blow. Substitutions are a fluid thing.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I respectfully disagree. If BC defense DM getting the ball 3 times in a row to start the game, it would be dumb not to sub him out for a blow. Substitutions are a fluid thing.
I am not sure what you are saying here. DM gets 3 carries in a row and he has to come out for a sub? Good Lord, I hope he is in better shape than that. I don't care if he gets every carry for two straight series, he should be able to handle that, especially early in the game.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure what you are saying here. DM gets 3 carries in a row and he has to come out for a sub? Good Lord, I hope he is in better shape than that. I don't care if he gets every carry for two straight series, he should be able to handle that, especially early in the game.
A fresh MM might be more of a home run threat than a slightly fatigued DM.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I almost can't believe what I am hearing. Well, MM might be a better HR threat than DM at any time, tired or not. DM is starting because he has beaten MM out in all phases, to this point. I feel very confident that DM will not be spelled after three carries unless he has coughed up the football or his third carry is an 80 yarder, knocked out at the 1.

ACC Bee

Banned
I almost can't believe what I am hearing. Well, MM might be a better HR threat than DM at any time, tired or not. DM is starting because he has beaten MM out in all phases, to this point. I feel very confident that DM will not be spelled after three carries unless he has coughed up the football or his third carry is an 80 yarder, knocked out at the 1.
CPJ likes people that practice, MM has missed some practices. Please tell me how you know that DM has beaten MM out in ALL phases to this point.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind, I'm not saying that MM is better than DM. What I do know, is you are more injury prone after you become fatigued, and why would we risk injury if we can keep both MM and DM fresh. I think MM could be the better back this year, but DM IS the better of the two right now. Maybe DM is the better home run threat, but DM after three hard runs isn't as effective as a fresh MM. In the long run, it will benefit both IMO.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Where's the popcorn? My money is on what Boomer said. Mills for two series and then Marshall. And I don't think anybody here is under rating Marshall. I'm just excited as hell to see a true freshman come in and win the job for the opening game, a conference game at that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think MM is the best pure runner on the team. Mills just happens to be the best BB for the team right now. If you listened to Bryan Cook talk about Mills, you would understand the distinction. BBs have to be physical in terms of absorbing contact at the LOS and breaking arm tackles then creating when they're on the second level. Look at this run by Dwyer against UGA (scroll past the kickoff...but don't if you want to enjoy UGA's misery).

Dwyer has the ability to easily shrug off the arm tackles of the DT and LB, then create in space versus the DB to make his way to the endzone. Mills has that ability because of his size and strength. I think Marshall will hit the 20+ yarders more often, but he'll also get walled at the LOS more often. Mills will consistently give you 3-5 yards and break away every now and again. It's a tough choice, but coaches love guys who will give them consistency of positive yardage.

Last edited:

Milwaukee

Banned
This is a win/win all the way around. I'm the biggest MM fan boy on this site and I still think MM is the best back on our roster, period...but the fact that Mills can even get up on his level bodes well for us.

My opinion: MM is the best back we have, period. He will come in to spell DM and he'll show out. Book it. And that's not a knock on Mills, apparently he's a beast. But people will eventually realize that MM is the next big thing on The Flats. He's that good ladies and gentlemen.

But more importantly: I'm not sure how I'm going to explain to my neighbors why I'm drinking and grilling at 4:30 in the morning.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think MM is the best pure runner on the team. Mills just happens to be the best BB for the team right now. If you listened to Bryan Cook talk about Mills, you would understand the distinction. BBs have to be physical in terms of absorbing contact at the LOS and breaking arm tackles then creating when they're on the second level. Look at this run by Dwyer against UGA (scroll past the kickoff...but don't if you want to enjoy UGA's misery).

Dwyer has the ability to easily shrug off the arm tackles of the DT and LB, then create in space versus the DB to make his way to the endzone. Mills has that ability because of his size and strength. I think Marshall will hit the 20+ yarders more often, but he'll also get walled at the LOS more often. Mills will consistently give you 3-5 yards and break away every now and again. It's a tough choice, but coaches love guys who will give them consistency of positive yardage.

I think it's hard to say one or the other is the best pure runner on our team, I do however think we will know after the first two or three games, we just need to see mills in a real game, and see how Marshall has improved.