Mills

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If he can be like Laskey and Days in 2014 that's enough for me. I see Mills less as a feature back and more as just a guy who will do a lot of different things to help win a game--and very few things to help lose one.

IMO he is starting more for what he does when the ball isnt in his hands....means a lot to the success of our particular scheme. For example if you give JT time through the air he will hurt you. So BB pass pro is key. And keeping the D loose with the pass helps the run game. Another example is not fumbling in a limited posession game (which ours typically are)

All this said I think he'll run it just fine. If he starts doing Dwyer-like stuff you wont see me complain though!
I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree about Mills not being a feature back. Cpj said he didn't expect Mills to be this good and I believe that goes to running the ball as much as blocking, he has descent speed, good vision, balance, moves, and one of the most important things for Bback POWER! I could be wrong but I have been saying this since the spring Mills is going to be very very good. I think people are going to be surprised of his vision and his ability to make people miss once he gets to the second level.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
In 2014, Laskey and Days had 851 and 924 yards respectively. And thats even with Laskey being hurt part of the time. While we might not see 2 BBs with 1,000 yards each, stranger things have happened. It certainly would not be a shock or even unusual to see both with > 800 yards each.
4 1,000 yard rushers and a 1,000 yard receiver!

tumblr_inline_mrwaxgcI8r1qz4rgp.gif

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Gonna be a long season on Swarm with all the upcoming arguments about whether Mills or Marshall should be starting. Will make a qb controversy seem like weak beer.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gonna be a long season on Swarm with all the upcoming arguments about whether Mills or Marshall should be starting. Will make a qb controversy seem like weak beer.

Heh, I hope not. But, if it does, it just gets us ready for next season's QB battle royale. We got 3 guys who'll have legit arguments to start after JT's gone.

Hopefully folks'll realize there's a lot of carries to go 'round.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So, I just went back to watch some Dedrick Mills highlights from HS just to help me see why CPJ loves him so much. I almost feel like he was a great LB prospect. Love the way he gets leverage and tackles. In any case, being great on both sides of the ball probably helped his FB IQ. Obviously, he was a good runner too. He is a solid player all around.

ACC Bee

Banned
So, I just went back to watch some Dedrick Mills highlights from HS just to help me see why CPJ loves him so much. I almost feel like he was a great LB prospect. Love the way he gets leverage and tackles. In any case, being great on both sides of the ball probably helped his FB IQ. Obviously, he was a good runner too. He is a solid player all around.

Gotta love a RB with a LB mentality.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ironically, we really didn't get going in '14 until Laskey got banged up. He didn't play at Pitt IIRC. Days came in and played very well. Then when Laskey came back a week or two later, we became a submarine: Dive Dive Dive Dive Because with two fresh players and two different styles, it threw one too many wrinkles at a defense. A fresh quick hitting Laskey in the 4th in athens was too much for uga. Didn't he score 3 TD's in the second half? Maybe CPJ has changed his B Back philosophy and says a two headed monster is scarier than a really big one headed monster. Here's the real question. Who hits a thousand yards first; Mills or Marshall?

Now think about the problem for the D if we had two fresh QBs with different styles. Nightmare for the D.

A really good b back changes this offense. People don't remember how big Dwyer was. He was legit HR threat every time he touched the ball. If Mills is even close to what Dwyer was he will put up big numbers. Days was a pleasant surprise, what every reason really clicked at the exact right time during the season. None the less him and Laskey demonstrated what a legit threat at B back does for the offense. We have not seen two legit game changers at B back yet and I think we are about to. M & M are going to be fun to watch. Big plays they are a coming!!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Dang, Fournette still playing? Seems like he has been a Heisman candidate the entire decade.

If you think that's bad, how old is freaking Greyson Lambert. That dude is still floundering around and likely to start for the Inbreds! What is he like 37? For all the 8-star recruits the SEC pulls, they rarely have really good QB's it seems.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
If you think that's bad, how old is freaking Greyson Lambert. That dude is still floundering around and likely to start for the Inbreds! What is he like 37? For all the 8-star recruits the SEC pulls, they rarely have really good QB's it seems.
Thought I saw that Eason will get the nod.