Mills

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think it's hard to say one or the other is the best pure runner on our team, I do however think we will know after the first two or three games, we just need to see mills in a real game, and see how Marshall has improved.

Marshall has the innate ability to make guys miss in small spaces and get to full speed in a couple of steps. Not many RBs can do that. He has home run ability. Think Robby Godhigh, but with ability to take it to the house. Marshall's issue is that he's a smaller back trying to play BB. Won't break a lot of arm tackles, but give him a sliver of daylight and you're chasing him down in the secondary.

GT doesn't have many proven RBs that can do what Marshall can do...if at all. I think Marshall is going to be GREAT on the speed option. That's going to be his calling card. I think Mills build and power is going to churn out more positive yardage than Marshall would. Different type of BBs.

Going to be fun to watch both of them.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Respek. Uv ben beetn this drum 4 yrs without it bustin

Edts to Bomeer

Put yourself in the position of the coach. What would you do? I know what I would do. The guy who has earned the top spot on the depth chart(DMJT) will start the game. The next guy (MMMJ or TM) will get the third series. After that point, the depth chart means nothing. Which ever kid is giving us the most MOJO will be the new number 1 on the depth chart before the first half ends. I don't blame anybody who follows the Jackets making a lot out of the BBQB situation, but let's face it, the depth chart is a fluid thing, just like battle plans.

ACC Bee

Banned
CPJ seems to believe Mills is slightly better. Enough better that he doesn't want him receiving kickoffs. I think that's a big deal. He also said Marshall will play a lot.
What's the big deal here? Did I miss something? Are we debating hypotheticals?
I think we are really all in agreement. I just believe that both B backs will get touches before the 2nd quarter.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Marshall has the innate ability to make guys miss in small spaces and get to full speed in a couple of steps. Not many RBs can do that. He has home run ability. Think Robby Godhigh, but with ability to take it to the house. Marshall's issue is that he's a smaller back trying to play BB. Won't break a lot of arm tackles, but give him a sliver of daylight and you're chasing him down in the secondary.

GT doesn't have many proven RBs that can do what Marshall can do...if at all. I think Marshall is going to be GREAT on the speed option. That's going to be his calling card. I think Mills build and power is going to churn out more positive yardage than Marshall would. Different type of BBs.

Going to be fun to watch both of them.
I agree with that with what you're saying about Marshall my thing was we haven't seen mills play a game in college yet and he might have the same ability. Maybe not the speed of Marshall, but still might have the ability to hit the home runs was my point.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
With the most important word in the following statement being (potential), I like the potential of our top 3 B-Backs as much as Dwyer and Allen. Who thinks Lasky and Days would have gotten the nod over Mills,Marshall and Benson. Upside to all three are higher in my opinion . That is a lot for me, as both of those guys have my respect as players and great young men. I loved how Days ended his time here after a slow 3 years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
With the most important word in the following statement being (potential), I like the potential of our top 3 B-Backs as much as Dwyer and Allen. Who thinks Lasky and Days would have gotten the nod over Mills,Marshall and Benson. Upside to all three are higher in my opinion . That is a lot for me, as both of those guys have my respect as players and great young men. I loved how Days ended his time here after a slow 3 years.

CPJ said that Benson may be the fastest of all the BBs. That's saying something considering MM and his brother Keith practically grew up on a track. All of our BBs are sophomores or younger. Gonna be a pretty excited next 3 years watching these guys jockey for positioning.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Watching the replay of the '14 ACCCG, Herbie nailed it when he said "establishing the fullback (sic) is the key to this offense....it gets the middle of the defense attention even when he doesn't get the ball you have to respect it... it opens up the option and the perimeter run game and so far this fullback has been running at will into the teeth of the Noles defense."

We need our Bback to be able to run into the teeth of the BC defense and Mills is the guy to do it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
CPJ doesn't bump people who are performing well very easily (see: Laskey & Sims, B-back fiasco last yr). He may do committee approach, and of course injuries can shift things. For him to go this far to let true FR Mills tote the rock first is extremely encouraging about Mills given we've heard nothing bad about the other guys.
Well played. Completely ignoring 2015 even occured.

Anyways I'm all in on the Mills bandwagon for now. Need a good quality bruiser with good vision at BB.

slugboy

Staff member
... and the strongest. I'm very interested to see Benson's career take shape over the next 4 years. And, I still think Quaide could end up as good as Laskey.

As of 1:21 PM on Sep 1, 2016, we seem to have ridiculous depth at BB.
I guess it's silly to ask, since you gotta have reps to be good at this (or any) offense, but could we line up with a heavy offense with three of the B-Backs?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I guess it's silly to ask, since you gotta have reps to be good at this (or any) offense, but could we line up with a heavy offense with three of the B-Backs?
Yes, but in our base formation, I don't see how that would really give us much of an advantage. We still want speed on the edge for a successful edge play, and there aren't many play choices where an AB is hitting it up inside. If we motioned them to a wishbone or wing-T formation, and ran a power series, then it would make more sense.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
After this season, MA will be gone from the mix, leaving DM, MM, QW, and KB. We know that QW has already cross trained at AB, as has KB, I believe. The position seems crowded right now, but as we all know, things can change quickly, and any unexpected losses at AB could see some of these guys shift over. I feel GREAT, however, about a two-headed monster of mainly DM and MM over the next three (THREE!) seasons!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Well played. Completely ignoring 2015 even occured.

Uhm, you bolded my comment on last year. I think it was representative of the same pattern. It took a lot to actively try to make MM the feature B-back. Much of it having to do with injury. Personally, when healthy, I think that Allen was the best back, but that's a small sample. I'm really encouraged that he's now an also-ran despite being a senior. This speaks to both Mills and Marshall really distinguishing themselves -- and to Quaide and Benson to be worthy of sharing the load when we have so many guys.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but in our base formation, I don't see how that would really give us much of an advantage. We still want speed on the edge for a successful edge play, and there aren't many play choices where an AB is hitting it up inside. If we motioned them to a wishbone or wing-T formation, and ran a power series, then it would make more sense.
goal line package?

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm all in on the Mills bandwagon, but nothing has indicated Marshall has lost his starting job. There is an "OR" on the depth chart. Listing Mills first might be a reward for hard work or it might be motivation to Marcus. I'm willing to bet Marcus still gets 60-70% of the snaps unless he drops the ball or something. Good players play better with good competition. Also I agree with the sentiment "no way CPJ puts a tr-FR as a starter unless he's the real deal." Remember Marcus was that guy last year (injuries might have had some part in that, but we had a few other options.)

Please stop with the motivation BS. MM was and has been motivated since he arrived at GT. Mills is starting bc he's the better back right now. Please don't minimize what Mills has done to try and feel better about MM losing the job.