Mills

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
And like Paul says, if these people knew what they were talking about they would have their own team! I'm thinking maybe he picked his starter because he actually has a team and actually witnessed all their practice time. Now, I'm just guessing.

So you really want to argue Skov was our best bet last year?

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Please tell us why he was the starter if he wasn't the best bet. What is the reason?
Honestly I think that is kind of faulty logic. I think Skov had shoulder injuries which limited his ability to play and be physical but his vison and cutting ability were far from ideal. How much of this is because of lack of reps because of the injuries but he did markedly miss several reads on cuts that you would think a college level running back could make. Marshalls liabilities were fumbling and a lack of physicality. Allen I think was the best all around back last year but his issue was of course staying healthy. An argument could be made for each of them but each had pretty sever drawbacks. I don't think any of them deserved to be the workhorse over the others last year and for the most part none of them was.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly I think that is kind of faulty logic. I think Skov had shoulder injuries which limited his ability to play and be physical but his vison and cutting ability were far from ideal. How much of this is because of lack of reps because of the injuries but he did markedly miss several reads on cuts that you would think a college level running back could make. Marshalls liabilities were fumbling and a lack of physicality. Allen I think was the best all around back last year but his issue was of course staying healthy. An argument could be made for each of them but each had pretty sever drawbacks. I don't think any of them deserved to be the workhorse over the others last year and for the most part none of them was.
Your post makes complete sense. Each player had his issues so I don't know how the other poster could say CPJ doesn't play the guy who is the best bet at BB. I guess I just want to know what would be CPJ's motivation for not playing the guy who gives us the best chance to win. I certainly cannot think of a reason he would do this.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Please tell us why he was the starter if he wasn't the best bet. What is the reason?

Because Johnson thought he was, and was wrong. Is it really that hard to comprehend? What you think Johnson didn't have any wrong choices in a year we went 9-3?

Does anyone actually want to argue that Skov was a better choice last year than Marshall? Or is everyone just going to dance around the subject?

Please, I would love someone to try and explain away the 3.5 ypc difference in the two, especially since that gap doesn't close even when you remove the cupcake games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Because Johnson thought he was, and was wrong. Is it really that hard to comprehend? What you think Johnson didn't have any wrong choices in a year we went 9-3?

Does anyone actually want to argue that Skov was a better choice last year than Marshall? Or is everyone just going to dance around the subject?

Please, I would love someone to try and explain away the 3.5 ypc difference in the two, especially since that gap doesn't close even when you remove the cupcake games.
How bout mm was a beast against ALCORN AND TULANE (who has that unusual defensive alignment of 9 players. Stats biased by that??

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Your post makes complete sense. Each player had his issues so I don't know how the other poster could say CPJ doesn't play the guy who is the best bet at BB. I guess I just want to know what would be CPJ's motivation for not playing the guy who gives us the best chance to win. I certainly cannot think of a reason he would do this.
I don't think he is saying that CPJ intentionally chose a lessor player to start just because. I think he is arguing that CPJ was emphasizing different things that the poster valued less that caused CPJ to choose a lessor player in the poster eyes because of it. I won't be dragged further into this particular occasion but coaches on all levels and all abilities have made bad personal decisions. Whether its who to start or what position they should be playing. Over the amount of time and the amount of players they coach it unfortunately must be expected. It's an unreasonable position to take that if a coach started such and such player over another player that ipso facto the starter has to be the better player.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
We can always say a mistake was made by a particular coach but since the alternative wasn't chosen, we really don't know that for certain. I do know that the coach has a massive amount of additional information to base a decision on than I do since they coach and evaluate the player, receive feedback from other coaches, etc. Additionally they have years of successful experience and their very high paying job can hang in the balance. I doubt there are any coaches that would not admit to making wrong decisions regarding who to play. To err is human but I would bet that if we understood the facts more fully, we would cut coaches more slack.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
He was fuming after that fumble. Glad he didn't let it get in his head and got the redemption. Teammates looked like they were giving him some good support

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought oline looked slow and tentative again just like last year but I think mills is going to be really good. My gut reaction is he is going to have huge year. I liked his intensity after the fumble.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
So you really want to argue Skov was our best bet last year?
No reason to argue. Just send me your resume and I will gladly compare it to the guy who made the decision last year concerning our starters. I am currently comparing resumes of those declaring that Steven Hill wasn't a great athlete.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Marshall had the longest run I believe.
I'm not sure he 100% either.

Mills is physical, maybe a little too physical at times. Just judging from this game.

Nice 1-2, interested in seeing how this evolves and how Benson & Quade will be used later.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No reason to argue. Just send me your resume and I will gladly compare it to the guy who made the decision last year concerning our starters. I am currently comparing resumes of those declaring that Steven Hill wasn't a great athlete.

So that's a no. Good to know.