Mills

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but in our base formation, I don't see how that would really give us much of an advantage. We still want speed on the edge for a successful edge play, and there aren't many play choices where an AB is hitting it up inside. If we motioned them to a wishbone or wing-T formation, and ran a power series, then it would make more sense.

I agree. We could easily shift into many positions such as a Power I formation but there must be a fundamental reason why we think that formation would be more successful. I don't typically think of us as an offense that, for example, overpowers defenses with big powerful bodies on the goal line or short yardage but one that keeps defenses from "stacking the middle" because of the pressure we can bring on the perimeter.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Don't the Abacks block inside on some plays? Midline?
Yes, they do on midline. But, on the goal line and short yardage, it's often too crowded to run a real midline play. There's not enough time and room for it to develop. Usually we're not running triple option either. We're running either QB follow (definitely our bread and butter short goal line play), QB sneak if it's a foot away, some sort of BB give (dive or belly), or a rocket toss. All of these are extremely quick hitting and none involve a read. And, we've been REALLY successful with this goal line package. I think the reason we're successful is because it is very much a continuance of our regular offense. Our OL are firing out low and hard just like they've been doing every other play. All of our guys are blocking like they have been every other play. Most other teams are doing a different package with a lot different methods than their norm. It also helps that they still have to defend from sideline to sideline with the inside stuff paired with the rocket toss.

Back to your point, I do think a big package could help with the midline, but not with what we normally do on the goal line. It's still an interesting thought though. I remember CPJ running a power-I on the goal line in our first 2 games of '09, we got killed on it vs Clemson and we haven't seen it since. Really, there's no reason to change what we're currently doing ... it's working.

I could see it being more of a possibility in short yardage (not goal line) out in the field where there's still some room to maneuver and everyone's not all stacked up at the LOS. There midline is still a possibility.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing I'm sure of is Paul Johnson will play whoever gives us the best chance to win. That goes for goaline scheme too.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
No I'm implying that just last year Johnson did in fact NOT play the player who gave us a best chance to win.
I guarantee you he played the player he thought gave us the best chance to win. You can disagree with who he played if you want but he's been making those decisions for 38 years. He's never played a guy who he thought gave his team a better chance to lose!

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
No I'm implying that just last year Johnson did in fact NOT play the player who gave us a best chance to win.
And like Paul says, if these people knew what they were talking about they would have their own team! I'm thinking maybe he picked his starter because he actually has a team and actually witnessed all their practice time. Now, I'm just guessing.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow

What PJ did last year is not start the player that YOU thought gave us the best chance to win. He gets paid millions of $$$ to put guys on the field to win. You can't overlook fumbling and lack of blocking because he had a few good runs early on last year. The probability of fumbling the ball and not blocking is much higher than scoring on every play. What does it say about Mills to come in as a TF and win the starting job? I think PJ likes a physical BB and Mills is just more physical of the two.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I guarantee you he played the player he thought gave us the best chance to win. You can disagree with who he played if you want but he's been making those decisions for 38 years. He's never played a guy who he thought gave his team a better chance to lose!
Are u saying that some coaches play players that don't give them the best chance to win? Seems like its obvious that coaches think they are doing that. Stating athat doesnt mean every one has to agree on every player on every play.