Marshall to start versus UNC...

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am a fan of what both of these guys have done this season. I think TQM and TO both bring a spark and have strengths / weaknesses.

One point though which I think may factor in, is that it SEEMS to me that TQM playing leads to more checks from both him and the OLine. My GUESS is that they are checking out of plays to try to maximize the play (read we may have an easy 2-4 yards with whatever coach called, but confidence and a wider playbook / set of reads makes someone on the line or the qb himself think they can get more than that play by doing X).

I suspect this is something we have fallen victim to this year. It seems like more often than not the checks are higher risk / reward plays. If that is the case, I wonder if coach thinks the guys are sinking themselves by trying to do too much with each snap and moving away from the solid death march strategy deployed Thursday night.

Sometimes more options leads to decision fatigue and paralysis. Other times it leads to riverboat gambles and ignoring the adage about a bird in the hand being better than two in the bush.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
When I say it's TM or nothing I mean I think he sometimes calls his own number against what CPJ wants. Plus he is just too small. Regardless of what people think. Oliver usually gains at least 2.5-3.5 yards when he has the ball. Marshall gets stopped in the backfield when running the same play. He needs a hole to run through untouched. Oliver makes a hole by hitting guys and running through them. Give me a power runner over a skat guy at QB any day in our system. Should always bode better. Nesbitt was really good, and Justin Thomas was a little bowling ball. Marshall is more of a elusive guy.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
If we have to pass, we’re in trouble with either one of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im just not convinced TO cant throw the ball. He attempted 2 passes last week and he slipped on one and the coverage caused him to pull the 2nd one down and run out of bounds.

Either way Do we really think he will be less accurate than other QB's who have been in or are in our offense. TO is quicker and he forces the defense to commit more aggrssively.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think everybody here is jumping the gun a bit. The real question is: will TaQuon be well in time? Remember that we just came off of a bye week and he still wasn't ready. I get the feeling - and the evidence seems to support it - that he was more badly hurt then the staff wanted to let on. Given Oliver's performance in the last game, there doesn't seem to be much reason to rush him back onto the field (no doubt TaQuon would disagree). I think that Coach will want him in tip-top shape, including getting his feet back under him, before he sends him back out.

That said, TaQuon is, as Coach said, the starter for a reason. He know the O and can execute the full range of it. With Tobias we are stuck pretty much with the double options and the sweep. He can run the TO, but that bad pitch against VT shows the limits. The big problem is that, if I'm right, he has yet to run a counter option. That is a vital part of the O and we need to run it effectively. If either one had shown the ability to throw effectively - both are kinda hit or miss - then the decision would be easier.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
When I say it's TM or nothing I mean I think he sometimes calls his own number against what CPJ wants. Plus he is just too small. Regardless of what people think. Oliver usually gains at least 2.5-3.5 yards when he has the ball. Marshall gets stopped in the backfield when running the same play. He needs a hole to run through untouched. Oliver makes a hole by hitting guys and running through them. Give me a power runner over a skat guy at QB any day in our system. Should always bode better. Nesbitt was really good, and Justin Thomas was a little bowling ball. Marshall is more of a elusive guy.
I don't see TO as a power runner hitting guys, he is what I would call A Gifted athlete who only needs a small hole to turn it up field. imo

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
TO: Slippery yet can break arms tackles and also take on a tackle and fall forward... makes yards after contact. Does not seek contact like MJ or TB.

TQM: Elusive and fast but the threat of contact causes slowing and or an arm tackle.... Not as matrix like as JT or willing to take on the “shoulder” of a tackler as much as JT.

Both QB are tough as nails!

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Oliver has lead the offense to touchdowns on 15 of his 23 drives this year. We aren’t calling him to start based on one game. We are calling him to start because everytime he’s come in throughout the year, the offense has found success.

If we’re saying most of TOs plays were designed plays vs him having to make reads, does this mean when CPJ tells them what to run the offense works better than when left up to the players?

stpetewreck

Georgia Tech Fan
I just love that there are (IMO, valid) arguments for both QBs. Far better than hearing, "X is not getting it done at all!".

I also cannot wait to see James Graham throw a ball with my own eyes...not counting HS highlights of his (likely) "best throws". I hear good things about Yates coming in, but I haven't even seen highlights of him yet.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I honestly believe Taquon could've done what TO did Thursday night. Qb left qb right qb left qb right 40 times. That's all Paul seems to run with TO but it works. Why not do the same with Taquon instead of all the slow counter crap. How many times did TO pitch the other night? Not a lot cause we didn't run much triple at all. That's my biggest gripe with Paul, he doesn't even run triple any more. I mean he does every now and then, but not like 08 and 09. Get rid of all the crap and run straight triple. Thats only after people learn to stop the qb left qb right qb left qb right, and they will. But then get back to ya know, the TRIPLE OPTION.

Just asking, I don't really have a preference.

I think TM is better in open space, TO is better running through the trash. Both can do just fine with either but I think those are their strengths. Which may lend to the calls made for each individually.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Outside of Clemson how many times has TM been stopped in the backfield? Go ahead and toss out the Duke busted assignments where they cut through a gap unblocked to run TM down from behind...because they’d have caught TO the same.

It’s not a large number I can tell ya. If you think I’m wrong show proof.

I agree TO is a more powerful runner. TM is more elusive. Neither has a disqualifying deficiency. Each has strengths that can lead to personal preferences in style i.e. power runner vs jitterbug.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If PJ was looking for future he would start TO and have TM as backup if he falters.This season is all but shot anyway (unless you like the toilet bowl at best) so the more experience TO gets the better.Plus he just might be the BETTER option anyway.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Oliver has lead the offense to touchdowns on 15 of his 23 drives this year. We aren’t calling him to start based on one game. We are calling him to start because everytime he’s come in throughout the year, the offense has found success.
You have to look at context, though. The games he's played in, with the exception of VT, we've either had a lot of success offensively already or his PT has come in mop up time. For example, yes, he had a lot of success against USF, but so did TQM when he was in. VT is the outlier here in that we/he played really well, but we're not sure how TQM would have performed because he didn't get any action.

I guess my point is that there's not evidence that TO is a definitively better option than TQM like some on here are stating.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I think TM is better in open space, TO is better running through the trash. Both can do just fine with either but I think those are their strengths. Which may lend to the calls made for each individually.

I'm fine with either as long as CPJ can see what the defense is giving him and switch the player to fit the style needed to beat the defense. Have to be able to make adjustments