Marshall to start versus UNC...

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
This probably hasn't been stated already, but TO should be the starter :dead:.... But in all seriousness he should be. I have read a few that said TQM moved the ball well against USF, and I could't disagree more. I fully believe we win that game if TO stayed in. I don't think he handed the ball off once (much like the start of the VPI game), but it worked.

I knew that CPJ was playing to win at VPI when I saw him talking to TO before the first drive. I know that is sad to say, but given the past 1.5 years with TQM I have seen enough.

I hope that this is the last of CPJ, and that he walks away at the end of the season, but I think in the present TO gives us a much better chance to win.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Bad decision... No value to the team or program in having TQM start. TQM is a senior, on his way out, and hasn't shown that he produces better results than Oliver. In fact, it's the opposite.

Oliver is a freshman, part of the future of the program, and produces better results.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL, it doesn't matter who starts, CPJ already is scheming to use them both. TQM brings different plays that TO can't run yet. TO brings another set of headaches for a DC. This is beautiful in many ways.
Coloradojacket, I believe this is the only post where I have agreed with you. Whatever the situation calls for on the field, put in the QB that can best solve the situation.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
You have to look at context, though. The games he's played in, with the exception of VT, we've either had a lot of success offensively already or his PT has come in mop up time. For example, yes, he had a lot of success against USF, but so did TQM when he was in. VT is the outlier here in that we/he played really well, but we're not sure how TQM would have performed because he didn't get any action.

I guess my point is that there's not evidence that TO is a definitively better option than TQM like some on here are stating.

We may not know exactly if TO is better, but we do know what we get with TQM and it’s not very good. TO has earned his shot. He’s passed every opportunity he’s gotten with blind colors. I say give him and chance and let him fail before going back to TQM. He may not fail. It’s not hard to go back to TQM if the O is struggling. You can say the same thing about going back to TO if the O is struggling, but I think starting TQM gives a different message to the team.

CPJ has talked a lot about TQM’s missed reads all season. We all know his lack of passing abilities. Why not try something else that has actually already proven to be successful? TO doesn’t know the whole system and can’t throw. Sounds like another guy on our team.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a question for all of y'all that have every single Tech game ever played memorized. (or at least within the last two decades.) I seem to recall that there was a game against FSU in the very late 90's, early 2000's, where the game plan was to use 2 QBs. (I have it in my mind that it was Joe Ham, may have been slightly hurt, and Goose???) Anyway it was two QBs that had completely different skill sets, and the OC alternated them to keep the defense out of sync. They were supposed to beat us badly, and we made it a lot closer than it should have been. Am I remembering correctly?

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a question for all of y'all that have every single Tech game ever played memorized. (or at least within the last two decades.) I seem to recall that there was a game against FSU in the very late 90's, early 2000's, where the game plan was to use 2 QBs. (I have it in my mind that it was Joe Ham, may have been slightly hurt, and Goose???) Anyway it was two QBs that had completely different skill sets, and the OC alternated them to keep the defense out of sync. They were supposed to beat us badly, and we made it a lot closer than it should have been. Am I remembering correctly?
Joe didn't get knocked out the game. Didn't have an answer for Peter Warrick. Think this is the same game Kelley Campbell caught a touchdown pass and got his jaw broke at the same time.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

I think you might be thinking of when we played Jermaine Crenshaw at QB. Game was at Bobby Dodd against FSU.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I trust Coach. He is at practice every day. With that said, I am surprised. in games - TO has made quick decisions, been clean on the mesh and has shown tough running with a good forward lean. The other guy has been hesitant, sloppy with the mesh and at times played as if hurting. Passing is the wild card however.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I think you might be thinking of when we played Jermaine Crenshaw at QB. Game was at Bobby Dodd against FSU.
That's correct. He alternated with Goose and we were moving the ball with both. We were driving for the win and turned it over on downs on a play that should have been PI.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Start TaQuon for two series. Play Tobias for two series, and then decide.
im not a fan of that - we did that in 2012 with mixed results. What if TaQuon starts and leads 2 TD drives?

Start one guy, and if he struggles, go to the other.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
im not a fan of that - we did that in 2012 with mixed results. What if TaQuon starts and leads 2 TD drives?

Start one guy, and if he struggles, go to the other.

I appreciate that point of view.

I'm in the camp that says TW didn't get the respect he earned.

Still, I don't think TM has played as well as TW. I also think TO 2018 has played better than Vad 2012.

To your question, it would depend on whether, and how much, they scored.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We may not know exactly if TO is better, but we do know what we get with TQM and it’s not very good. TO has earned his shot. He’s passed every opportunity he’s gotten with blind colors. I say give him and chance and let him fail before going back to TQM. He may not fail. It’s not hard to go back to TQM if the O is struggling. You can say the same thing about going back to TO if the O is struggling, but I think starting TQM gives a different message to the team.

CPJ has talked a lot about TQM’s missed reads all season. We all know his lack of passing abilities. Why not try something else that has actually already proven to be successful? TO doesn’t know the whole system and can’t throw. Sounds like another guy on our team.
“blind colors”???