Marshall to start versus UNC...

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Marshall starting helps us by putting more stuff on tape. I agree that the game plan with TO is very effective since we basically have more blockers on the play side than the defense can give, and TO has shown he is good at getting everything possible out of each play. But if we play the last 5 games of the year doing the same set of QB sweeps, BB options, and stuff, people will be able to scheme against it.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
And the answer to this is no we never did this. in 98 Hamilton went out with an injury, as FSU was prone to do to us back then. The game was already decided. The last time we have used 2 is Lee and Washington and Lee and Thomas. Although Pepper did use Lanier and Peoples.
As others have pointed out we did use Crenshaw and Godsey against FSU in 2000, but I have another quibble with your post. In '98, we were 7-10 pts down (or something like that) in the 3rd quarter and driving around the FSU 35 when Hamilton was knocked out of the game. The game was not yet decided at that point. Then Godsey came in, promptly fumbled and then the game was decided.

And based on that one game the GT message boards pissed and moaned for months about how bad we were going to be with Godsey at QB.

I recall that one of the Gator Bowls, (maybe Godsey was QB ) against ND, after the half, our back up QB Andy Hall came in and ran straight up triple option right down the field for a TD as a planned change up
Hamilton was the QB against ND in the Gator bowl, and I have no memory of Andy Hall playing in that game. Could it have been when we played ND to start the season a couple of years later?

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
"Lee was appreciative for Johnson reducing the number of plays that the offense has worked on and used in games, and also the amount of checks that the line can make before the snap to adjust blocking assignments. It has simplified the game for the linemen, Lee said.

“We were playing physical (against Virginia Tech) and we had ’em right where we wanted ’em,” Lee said. “We practiced right what they were going to play and we just came out and executed.”"

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/jahaziel-lee-returns-offensive-tackle/pnaefLwNeLtpvXo9c2C62L/

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Hamilton was the QB against ND in the Gator bowl, and I have no memory of Andy Hall playing in that game. Could it have been when we played ND to start the season a couple of years later?

I specifically remember that Fridge had the team come out in the wishbone after the half and ran the ball straight down ND's throat. They were toast after that. I don't remember who was at QB for that series. We went back to the regular offense after that series.

That staff-who learned from Ross-ran very efficient practices. They had a great ability to install lots of wrinkles in a short time.

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
"Lee was appreciative for Johnson reducing the number of plays that the offense has worked on and used in games, and also the amount of checks that the line can make before the snap to adjust blocking assignments. It has simplified the game for the linemen, Lee said.

“We were playing physical (against Virginia Tech) and we had ’em right where we wanted ’em,” Lee said. “We practiced right what they were going to play and we just came out and executed.”"

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/jahaziel-lee-returns-offensive-tackle/pnaefLwNeLtpvXo9c2C62L/

This is great to hear about Lee! I know Will was hurt for a bit, is he back 100% yet? This line is powerful and Will in my opinion is one of our best!

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I'll echo some of the other folks in this thread and say that I think both should play. I can imagine that it would be a nightmare to prepare for what TM and TO can do at the same time. TM does a good job at getting the ball to the perimeter, and TO does really well withing running the ball in tight. I say give Marshall a series, if he doesn't score, put Oliver in.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
My one weigh-in in this thread:

TO hasn't run a single 3O play yet. I've harped on this since CPJ got here, but to have a fully effective offense, we've got to be able to run that play. Now, what TO can run is pretty dang dynamic, especially if you have to spend a good portion of your defensive practice repping the rest of the playbook.

We are at our best when we can run everything. Therefore, I think CPJ will start TM with the intention of doing just that (think WF or PITT games last year, which were some great TM games).

There's no way that a DC can prepare for 3O, speed option, counter option, rocket toss, run-n-shoot passing game, and THEN also be prepared for the power QB run game of TO with midline sprinkled in.

So my hope is that TM leads a couple of effective drives, gets the defense making their early adjustments to whatever we come out running, and then bring TO in for a series to just bludgeon them for awhile. After that, you ride the hot hand.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach also said "Oliver has played in every game this year. It would be a first if he didn't play."
He is still not giving any information on whether there will be split series or set situations to play Oliver.
I actually was disappointed when I read this - not because of the content but because there seemed to BE content. I like that CPJ holds his cards close to his chest, and it seemed that he was giving something away. But, when you put it that way, maybe not! :)

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't make much sense. Keep Oliver at QB until defenses stop him. All the speculation about who does better in practice and confusing the other team with different looks is just that. I know what I see in the games and Oliver has been much more consistent, reliable, and productive compared to TM. And then everyone says he can't pass. Are we basing that off of 2 throws last week. I don't see where Marshall is a good passer. Just amazing that we keep going down this road with Marshall.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ was doing everything he can to avoid a QB controversy conversation in the weekly presser... Truth is the backup QB has more rushing TD's, more rushing yards, more YPC, and scores a TD on 65% of his drives.. It's just hard to not see what the guy can do.

Also said they didn't run any QB sweeps with Tobias, that it was "an option" and not a sweep.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was doing everything he can to avoid a QB controversy conversation in the weekly presser... Truth is the backup QB has more rushing TD's, more rushing yards, more YPC, and scores a TD on 65% of his drives.. It's just hard to not see what the guy can do.

Also said they didn't run any QB sweeps with Tobias, that it was "an option" and not a sweep.

Yeah it was apparently a Zone Option (QB and A-Back double option with zone blocking). Like other options, it's a keep unless forced to pitch. While it's not clear that it was always actually an option, the trailing A-Back was typically covered. I think that Bud had somebody assigned to the dive, somebody to the QB and somebody to the A-Back for the regular triple, and then the B-Back on the zone option went out and clobbered the guy who had QB (that's just a guess).

Deleted member 2897

TM probably knows the entire playbook. That's a good thing in that there are all kinds of elaborate tweaks to plays that take advantage of what the defense is doing.

The risk to that is that not necessarily everyone else is as proficient with some of those outlier plays. Clearly our blocking and execution across the offense is better when we focus on a smaller playbook.

CPJ has a good swiss army knife right now at all positions. We seem to be fully using the 2-deep at every single position from WR to OL to AB to BB to even QB. I suspect CPJ will monitor the health of players, execution during the game, and defense to do what he thinks gives us the best chance to win.

Lets just hope that he doesn't get pi&&ed off and tell Juanyeh "just return the kickoff no matter what" or call a QB sneak with a Defensive Lineman when it was 8 yards to go from our own 25. (Not to derail the thread, but had BJS been the called guy, he might have returned the snap for 40 yards.)

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree TO has been tremendously effective, but his playbook is limited, as you'd expect. Have we seen him run a genuine 3O play yet?

I'm not surprised a healthy TQM is starting. CPJ made the right call. If a starter loses his spot due to injury & doesn't get it back when he's healed, it discourages other starters from reporting injuries. That could get 'em hurt worse, and a coach does not want stuff like that on his watch.

Deleted member 2897

Agree TO has been tremendously effective, but his playbook is limited, as you'd expect. Have we seen him run a genuine 3O play yet?

I'm not surprised a healthy TQM is starting. CPJ made the right call. If a starter loses his spot due to injury & doesn't get it back when he's healed, it discourages other starters from reporting injuries. That could get 'em hurt worse, and a coach does not want stuff like that on his watch.

All good points.

The one thing I'd dispute is where CPJ says TM would be losing his spot due to injury. That's a false description of the situation for him to use in my opinion. TO has been playing all season and has a higher rushing average, more rushing yards, and more rushing touchdowns. We score touchdowns at an obscene two-thirds rate when he's under center. Its like Trevor Lawrence and Kelly Bryant - at some point its clear who the best QB is and that person should start. There's no sense in muddying the water with a discussion of injuries. If TM is better at 100% health, play him. If he's not or if he's not better at X% health, then play TO. The End.

I'm pretty sure this is what CPJ is thinking but is unwilling to show his cards to the world, which is fine.

PTCjacket

Banned
All I can say is we better not start fumbling again. I hope the coach is not having another fake punt moment. UNC can very well be like the Pitt/Duke games.

are you saying you don't appreciate the panic resulting fake punt on our own 30 yard line with a defensive end running the ball with the first down marker 7-10 yards away?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
All good points.

The one thing I'd dispute is where CPJ says TM would be losing his spot due to injury. That's a false description of the situation for him to use in my opinion. TO has been playing all season and has a higher rushing average, more rushing yards, and more rushing touchdowns. We score touchdowns at an obscene two-thirds rate when he's under center. Its like Trevor Lawrence and Kelly Bryant - at some point its clear who the best QB is and that person should start. There's no sense in muddying the water with a discussion of injuries. If TM is better at 100% health, play him. If he's not or if he's not better at X% health, then play TO. The End.

I'm pretty sure this is what CPJ is thinking but is unwilling to show his cards to the world, which is fine.
A lot of his drives were in garbage time against backups, against a USF team we were performing well against, and a VT team that our oline obliterated. I just think there is context to this, and CPJ and the rest of the coaches are the only ones who can see the full picture due to seeing them in practice as well.