Marshall to start versus UNC...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'd play both. I’ve always been a huge fan of the 2QB system for any school. Make the defense prepare for both and have less film time to study each. Offense is quite different between the 2 and you can go with what’s working depending on how the defense is playing you that day. I think we’ll need Oliver against Miami so don’t give them an entire week of preparing for the 3 plays we run with Oliver.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You have to realize that there are players who may look like All Americans in practice yet come game time they aren't even Honorable Mention. And those who may not look as sharp in practice, but when it comes to game time they are on fire. We have seen a body of work for both and it is the actual GAMES that count in your W-L record....not the practices.

I’m pretty sure the coaches watch the games too.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If we have to pass, we’re in trouble with either one of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Correct.
we will need to prove we can pass the ball against teams with a real good DL and fast LB's. So far PJ has limited what TO runs. TM is probably who he has trust to pass if needed.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Problem with TM is it's a him or nothing show. With Oliver he makes the right reads and can fall forward. Give me a guy that's good for at least 2-3 yards rather than a smaller guy who frequently makes bad reads. Marshall is really only good at escaping broken plays and running for his life. He rarely has poise and takes charge without mistakes. Oliver is a more reliable runner. He hasn't made mistakes because his options are limited , but who cares. Keep it limited until it doesn't work. Don't fix something that isn't broke. He's done almost nothing wrong and has only helped the team this year. Marshall has actively hurt the team with his decision making.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'd play both. I’ve always been a huge fan of the 2QB system for any school. Make the defense prepare for both and have less film time to study each. Offense is quite different between the 2 and you can go with what’s working depending on how the defense is playing you that day. I think we’ll need Oliver against Miami so don’t give them an entire week of preparing for the 3 plays we run with Oliver.

Posted many times :
WR at gt is about blocking and catching the contested ball.
WE need the second or third string qb who has practiced passing to back up wr to a play when we are down several SCORES in third quarter.

Ingraham should be best friends w Carter and Dolphus.

Let's face it once coach says u are the qb or wr - the other guys better plan on sitting and getting a degree. I am fine with coach doing that.
Will never know if coach would have played Lucas johnson this year. ?
Well I go to every home game and watch (w binoculars )the qb s warm up. Ingraham has a live and in practice arm. Carter is athletic. If he plays them some this year , then we know he is going to give PASSING ABILITY SOME WEIGHT IN DECIDING WHO IS QB OR COULD GO TO A 70/30 PLATOON QB.
By way Ingraham looked great running the qb end run - 2 attempts 25 yards

If none and we play TO to finish, then old news Lucas should ....
Athletic Ingraham should...
Incoming....
Why would they think they have a chance? In 17 tqm played every down and his 4 of his last 9 completions were to the other team. We were way behind in that period and Lucas got Zero. That made sense to only the coach is always right.

This year as we close out he should play both tqm and TO to show we can win with dual qb and or that the 19 qb battle is open.

Animal02

Banned
Problem with TM is it's a him or nothing show. With Oliver he makes the right reads and can fall forward. Give me a guy that's good for at least 2-3 yards rather than a smaller guy who frequently makes bad reads. Marshall is really only good at escaping broken plays and running for his life. He rarely has poise and takes charge without mistakes. Oliver is a more reliable runner. He hasn't made mistakes because his options are limited , but who cares. Keep it limited until it doesn't work. Don't fix something that isn't broke. He's done almost nothing wrong and has only helped the team this year. Marshall has actively hurt the team with his decision making.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Deleted member 2897

I think that is a holy unfair representation, but you are welcome to your opinion.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Oliver was great Thursday night, thoroughly enjoyed watching the stampede.
If the game plan is to run 75 times and pass 0, then start Oliver ... his one pass attempt he fell down and IMO, I don't think you are going to get away with that scenario too often.
(IF) CPJ is able to make a bowl game and save his job, TStan MUST make him hire a QB coach who can teach these guys the fundamentals of the forward pass.
And BTW, I LOVE the all-white unis's !!

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Tobias deserves to start and play until he struggles. His performance Thursday earned that. I have talked to a lot of folks that have echoed what many are saying. Tobias’ performance and the big win have rejuvenated them and if Johnson goes back to TQM they are done with him.
I wouldn’t want to be Stansbury or Johnson if this is true and we start Taquon and lose to unc.
Hell, he looked better against South Florida

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
TO carried the ball 40 times in 71 offensive snaps where he was on the field. Another 24 snaps were designed gives to the BB. 6 AB carries, and one play was an imcompletion.

One of my points here is the reason you're knocking TQM (it's the 'him or nothing show') is the same exact reason why TO had so much success on Thursday. He carried the ball on over half of our offensive plays. My other point is that TO wasn't forced to make any reads. He ran the game CPJ called - he did it very well, but it wasn't like he was checking at the line or running a true option offense. I've also said this before - that was the best our O-Line has looked outside of maybe Louisville. They deserve a ton of credit for the offensive production on Thursday night.

I don't really care who starts at QB. I think TO has shown an ability to run a version of the offense and have some success and he's earned PT. My bet is even though TQM is the starter, you'll see TO on Saturday. The amount will probably depend on the success we have with TQM.

Milwaukee

Banned
I honestly believe Taquon could've done what TO did Thursday night. Qb left qb right qb left qb right 40 times. That's all Paul seems to run with TO but it works. Why not do the same with Taquon instead of all the slow counter crap. How many times did TO pitch the other night? Not a lot cause we didn't run much triple at all. That's my biggest gripe with Paul, he doesn't even run triple any more. I mean he does every now and then, but not like 08 and 09. Get rid of all the crap and run straight triple. Thats only after people learn to stop the qb left qb right qb left qb right, and they will. But then get back to ya know, the TRIPLE OPTION.

Just asking, I don't really have a preference.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think we see TO start until Unc stops him, then probably TM alternating and going with the hottest hand. You might see TM coming in on passing downs only, who knows?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If PJ runs Marshall anywhere near as much as he ran Oliver, Marshall will be out of the game quickly, in my opinion, as his body will not hold up.

I like a QB that can run the entire offense, but I also like a QB that can put his head down and make a yard or 2 out of a bad situation. We will see how this plays out.

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
If PJ runs Marshall anywhere near as much as he ran Oliver, Marshall will be out of the game quickly, in my opinion, as his body will not hold up.

I like a QB that can run the entire offense, but I also like a QB that can put his head down and make a yard or 2 out of a bad situation. We will see how this plays out.

I like a QB that WINS (especially on the road). TM has ONE road win (over the worst Power 5 run defense) over the last 1.5 years, TO has ONE road win in ONE try. This weekends game is on the ROAD!

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
TO made 2 pitches and over pitched one (went on the ground) on counter speed options. He also read 6 midlines correctly and 1 triple option correctly. I am not sure how many defensive checks were needed.

CPJ is concerned about the pitch and that may drive him to TQM?