Marshall to start versus UNC...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm not surprised a healthy TQM is starting. CPJ made the right call. If a starter loses his spot due to injury & doesn't get it back when he's healed, it discourages other starters from reporting injuries. That could get 'em hurt worse, and a coach does not want stuff like that on his watch.

He wouldn't be losing his spot to injury. He'd be losing his spot to a more productive player. This exact thing happened in 2014 when Laskey went out. And teh coach has to be willing to sit a starter if someone is better than them. You can't just play TM because it's his spot.

Deleted member 2897

A lot of his drives were in garbage time against backups, against a USF team we were performing well against, and a VT team that our oline obliterated. I just think there is context to this, and CPJ and the rest of the coaches are the only ones who can see the full picture due to seeing them in practice as well.

I agree, that's what I was trying to say too. I may be disagreed with, but I think a healthy TM is the best QB. Whether or not TO starts or how much he plays won't have anything to do with TM having been injured past tense. It will be how TM is playing and/or if he is injured present tense.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
TM probably knows the entire playbook. That's a good thing in that there are all kinds of elaborate tweaks to plays that take advantage of what the defense is doing.

The risk to that is that not necessarily everyone else is as proficient with some of those outlier plays. Clearly our blocking and execution across the offense is better when we focus on a smaller playbook.

CPJ has a good swiss army knife right now at all positions. We seem to be fully using the 2-deep at every single position from WR to OL to AB to BB to even QB. I suspect CPJ will monitor the health of players, execution during the game, and defense to do what he thinks gives us the best chance to win.

Lets just hope that he doesn't get pi&&ed off and tell Juanyeh "just return the kickoff no matter what" or call a QB sneak with a Defensive Lineman when it was 8 yards to go from our own 25. (Not to derail the thread, but had BJS been the called guy, he might have returned the snap for 40 yards.)
I understand that TM knows the entire playbook but what good does it do if he turns the ball over or doesn't make the right reads? If our blocking and execution is a lot better and more focused with a smaller playbook, then why don't we just run a smaller playbook?

slugboy

Staff member
You may not remember, but it happened. Godsey and Crenshaw in 2000 against FSU. Just that one game that I remember.

Not just that game. They were alternating in the games at the beginning of the season. Fridge would be coaching one on the sideline, and the one on the field would start to falter, and he’d swap quarterbacks. Then he’d coach the other guy on the sidelines and eventually send him back in, playing better.
I think both Goose and Crenshaw played better that way. They pushed each other, and Fridge had time to coach up the other player and adapt to the game.
Crenshaw stopped appearing after a few games. I remember it as wanting to go somewhere else and have the job to himself, but I could be wrong. I think Godsey was better during the first part of the season when there was a platoon, and the offense was better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Not just that game. They were alternating in the games at the beginning of the season. Fridge would be coaching one on the sideline, and the one on the field would start to falter, and he’d swap quarterbacks. Then he’d coach the other guy on the sidelines and eventually send him back in, playing better.
I think both Goose and Crenshaw played better that way. They pushed each other, and Fridge had time to coach up the other player and adapt to the game.
Crenshaw stopped appearing after a few games. I remember it as wanting to go somewhere else and have the job to himself, but I could be wrong. I think Godsey was better during the first part of the season when there was a platoon, and the offense was better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah I just don't remember. I only remember the bigger games from that season, and I don't recall Crenshaw playing against NC State, Clemson, or Georgia. But I was at BDS for FSU and I absolutely remember him rotating in and out for that game. It was probably the earlier games like you say. We almost lost to UCF that year but I didn't get to see or listen to that game.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
He wouldn't be losing his spot to injury. He'd be losing his spot to a more productive player. This exact thing happened in 2014 when Laskey went out. And teh coach has to be willing to sit a starter if someone is better than them. You can't just play TM because it's his spot.

You bring TQM back to start, but that doesn't mean he's not on a short leash. If he flounders, bring in TO. We're both right.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Can’t crown Tobias starter when he slips on only pass attempt. Thats literally ringing dinner bell for UNC. We ran maybe 5-6 plays against VT, UNC won’t flinch in the Tight Formation with Tobias under Center, I think Tobias is the better QB but Johnson doesn’t need to name him starter it would hurt GT, hope Paul Lets him start without saying a word to media.

MostDefinitely

Georgia Tech Fan
Long time lurker first time poster... just wanted to point out that CPJ said something very similar before the VT game -- and yet Tobias started.

From AJC prior to VT:
Asked if Marshall would start, Johnson replied, “I don’t know. Why wouldn’t he?”

From AJC prior to UNC:
“Yeah,” Johnson said. “I don’t see why he wouldn’t. We’ll work through that, but (Marshall) was the starter.”

I would take anything Coach says on this matter with a big grain of salt.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Can’t crown Tobias starter when he slips on only pass attempt. Thats literally ringing dinner bell for UNC. We ran maybe 5-6 plays against VT, UNC won’t flinch in the Tight Formation with Tobias under Center, I think Tobias is the better QB but Johnson doesn’t need to name him starter it would hurt GT, hope Paul Lets him start without saying a word to media.

When you average 8 yards per play you don't need to pass, ever. Just keep cramming it down their throats.