Marshall to start versus UNC...

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I trust Coach. He is at practice every day. With that said, I am surprised. in games - TO has made quick decisions, been clean on the mesh and has shown tough running with a good forward lean. The other guy has been hesitant, sloppy with the mesh and at times played as if hurting. Passing is the wild card however.

I have heard this time and time again about who shows up during practice. There is a big difference between practice and games. It's a whole different level of pressure and nerves. Some kids just step up when it is time, some have the talent and in practice can show out.

This is a question for all of y'all that have every single Tech game ever played memorized. (or at least within the last two decades.) I seem to recall that there was a game against FSU in the very late 90's, early 2000's, where the game plan was to use 2 QBs. (I have it in my mind that it was Joe Ham, may have been slightly hurt, and Goose???) Anyway it was two QBs that had completely different skill sets, and the OC alternated them to keep the defense out of sync. They were supposed to beat us badly, and we made it a lot closer than it should have been. Am I remembering correctly?

And the answer to this is no we never did this. in 98 Hamilton went out with an injury, as FSU was prone to do to us back then. The game was already decided. The last time we have used 2 is Lee and Washington and Lee and Thomas. Although Pepper did use Lanier and Peoples.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a question for all of y'all that have every single Tech game ever played memorized. (or at least within the last two decades.) I seem to recall that there was a game against FSU in the very late 90's, early 2000's, where the game plan was to use 2 QBs. (I have it in my mind that it was Joe Ham, may have been slightly hurt, and Goose???) Anyway it was two QBs that had completely different skill sets, and the OC alternated them to keep the defense out of sync. They were supposed to beat us badly, and we made it a lot closer than it should have been. Am I remembering correctly?

I recall that one of the Gator Bowls, (maybe Godsey was QB ) against ND, after the half, our back up QB Andy Hall came in and ran straight up triple option right down the field for a TD as a planned change up

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
TW was better than people gave credit 100% dead on certain.

JT was better than the people when were saying he was not good in 2015 and some of 2016. Although he was dinged at times.

I am not sure were TQM fits. He may be faster than TW, not as fast as JT. JT and TW were excellent at reading.

TQM played well enough to win more than 5 games last year. This is a team sport.

TQM is pretty dinged up this year and a tough player (almost too tough). If he cannot do the QB counter run, TO should play. He should also be frank with CPJ on what % he is during a game (same thing for JT in the 2014 Duke game).

Here is a hint... JT started the game after MJ started and the team won against VT. The only reason TQM does not start is health.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you might be thinking of when we played Jermaine Crenshaw at QB. Game was at Bobby Dodd against FSU.

I think you are correct. The name Crenshaw did not ring a bell, but I looked up our history with FSU and found this.

"Georgia Tech, which lost to Florida State 41-35 last year with Heisman Trophy runner-up Joe Hamilton at quarterback, used both Godsey and Crenshaw to keep things close once again.
Crenshaw, a third-year sophomore playing his first game at that position, was rotating with Godsey on just about every play in the third quarter, a system that confused the Seminoles and led to a 13-play, 63-yard scoring drive. Joe Burns went over on an 8-yard run and Tech led 15-12 after a 2-point conversion with 3:17 remaining in the third."

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Logically speaking, we have a QB that just rushed for over 200 yds and executed the offense almost flawlessly (run only) with the next opponent having a weak run defense.
Isn't that like taking the hot-shooting guard out of the game for a breather while he's on a roll ?
IMO, last Thursday's run success scenario won't work too often, but I think we need to make UNC stop it first, then bring in TQM.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
And the answer to this is no we never did this. in 98 Hamilton went out with an injury, as FSU was prone to do to us back then. The game was already decided. The last time we have used 2 is Lee and Washington and Lee and Thomas. Although Pepper did use Lanier and Peoples.
You may not remember, but it happened. Godsey and Crenshaw in 2000 against FSU. Just that one game that I remember.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I recall that one of the Gator Bowls, (maybe Godsey was QB ) against ND, after the half, our back up QB Andy Hall came in and ran straight up triple option right down the field for a TD as a planned change up
I think that bowl game was in Seattle and McWhorter was our interim HC. Stanford maybe?

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
You may not remember, but it happened. Godsey and Crenshaw in 2000 against FSU. Just that one game that I remember.

Here’s a nugget...after leaving Tech Crenshaw transferred to my alma mater, Alabama State University, and became a receiver/3rd string QB. (He was an awful QB, but turned out to be a pretty decent receiver)

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate that point of view.

I'm in the camp that says TW didn't get the respect he earned.

Still, I don't think TM has played as well as TW. I also think TO 2018 has played better than Vad 2012.

To your question, it would depend on whether, and how much, they scored.
I agree on all points. The Vad hype really escalated after he lit up the Tar Heels. I think PJ started going with Vad on series 3 after that game, and it didn't go well against MTSU. Yes we had other issues that day, but TW led us on the first 2 TD drives and Vad did not.

I think we both agree on your last point. It depends - so even if PJ says both will play, do you still pull the starter if he's getting it done? I don't think you do, unless you feel like the game is in hand and you can Death March the Heels the rest of the way.

Remember Nez at FSU in 2009, driving the field late with the same call over and over, running the clock and putting the game out of reach. We've been clamoring for the death march at the end of the game for a long time, and we have it now. Let Oliver be our CLOSER.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's my thing on PJ starting Taquon i think he thinks NC is gonna be a easy game for us! I suspect Tobias to start in the Miami game, gonna definitely need him in that one! He's just giving taquon startability this saturday bec he's a senior that's just what I think PJ is trying to do,but let me ask you would you rather start Taquon vs Miami or Tobias vs Miami the answer is already there...It's Tobias by a long shot

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope he is trying to keep them both motivated. It seems nuts to start anyone but TO after that game and the season. He now leads the team in TDs and rushing.

Truth

Georgia Tech Fan
Why does this whole QB discussion not include the potentially bigger point; The blocking scheme changes. Apparently, the changes were made to facilitate the QB keeps that TO ran and the BB dives. I think those were much more significant than who was playing QB.
I believe the QB question comes down to "Do you want a stronger, maybe faster QB who runs a limited number of plays OR an experienced QB who runs a much broader playbook?" That answer really depends on what the defense is doing and thank God we have a coach to decide what to do instead of a bunch of fan atics who each believe they know more about football than the coach.