Marcus Marshall

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your point that our QBs don't get hurt all the time. But it seems that all of our QBs have been hurt to varying degrees. The more they play, the more banged up they get due to the running style into the scrum.

JT was hampered by the leg / knee sprain for half of last year. JN was always beat up from his style of play and then broke his arm (JN is still my favorite player under CPJ). TW almost always seemed to be at reduced capacity and limping (but good at the goal line dive over RT). Jaybo Shaw just wasn't built for the D1 contact and was usually hurt. Byerly hasn't been hurt much that I know of but hasn't played much.

This year we are in good shape with two good QBs (one great, the other good). I've always believed that we should play our second string QB more to develop him for the inevitable when the starter goes down.

Mine was a cynical response to those who always assume that an offense like ours will have far more QB injuries than typical offenses and that someone of JeT's size will be even less likely to stay injury free. (Remember also that JN's broken arm came during an effort to make a tackle.)

Totally agree that QB's in this offense get "beat up" over the course of a season but I don't think there is evidence that our type of offense causes major problems in that area.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your point that our QBs don't get hurt all the time. But it seems that all of our QBs have been hurt to varying degrees. The more they play, the more banged up they get due to the running style into the scrum.

JT was hampered by the leg / knee sprain for half of last year. JN was always beat up from his style of play and then broke his arm (JN is still my favorite player under CPJ). TW almost always seemed to be at reduced capacity and limping (but good at the goal line dive over RT). Jaybo Shaw just wasn't built for the D1 contact and was usually hurt. Byerly hasn't been hurt much that I know of but hasn't played much.

This year we are in good shape with two good QBs (one great, the other good). I've always believed that we should play our second string QB more to develop him for the inevitable when the starter goes down.
All qb's get banged up, not just ours. In fact, I think our qb's are actually hurt less than other qb's. Nuke, you're the master of stats around here. I challenge you to produce some statistical analysis that backs up your point that our qb's take more of a beating than other qb's.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Football is a tough sport. Everybody has a chance to get hurt. I will say this, I don't think there is a more devastating hit to be taken on a football field than a defenseless QB tossing a ball down field only to be blind-sided by a 260 lb DE coming full speed. I would way rather be running with a football and take a lick than be standing still and exposed like that.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Football is a tough sport. Everybody has a chance to get hurt. I will say this, I don't think there is a more devastating hit to be taken on a football field than a defenseless QB tossing a ball down field only to be blind-sided by a 260 lb DE coming full speed. I would way rather be running with a football and take a lick than be standing still and exposed like that.
Yup, when you're running with it you have the ability to adjust to incoming hits, and often times you can take the initiative and deliver the blow instead of receiving it. JT is a tough dude, he wants to drive his shoulder into defenders when he gets bottled up. I think after the Duke game though coach probably told him to avoid it when possible as it can open you up to some post-tackle shenanigans (ie Duke DB gator-rolling his ankle out of bounds).

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree if Jordan is in an AB slot to get on the field some; however, if he blossoms into an AB star I can see him staying at AB and Martensen and Campbell being the backups....especially if Campbell is looking like the future. Martensen is a solid #3 backup.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think Jordan developing quickly into an AB star will be difficult given all the people ahead of him on the depth chart.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All qb's get banged up, not just ours. In fact, I think our qb's are actually hurt less than other qb's. Nuke, you're the master of stats around here. I challenge you to produce some statistical analysis that backs up your point that our qb's take more of a beating than other qb's.

OK, 100% of our starting QBs under CPJ have been dinged up and their effectiveness reduced or sidelined. Kind of hard to top that. (tic) Unfortunately there aren't CFB stats (that I know of) which track major or minor injuries in a systematic way........

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think Jordan developing quickly into an AB star will be difficult given all the people ahead of him on the depth chart.

The depth chart for A back is relatively meaningless at this point other than Snoddy and to a lesser degree Willis. Plenty of guys will have a chance to step up and take carries there.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
OK, 100% of our starting QBs under CPJ have been dinged up and their effectiveness reduced or sidelined. Kind of hard to top that. (tic) Unfortunately there aren't CFB stats (that I know of) which track major or minor injuries in a systematic way........

If there is data on games missed by starting quarterbacks due to injury, that would be interesting. I certainly don't know if that data is kept. Certainly there is subjectivity in the minor injury area that would seem to make it difficult to rate even if the data was available. Alcorn state is what matters now.