Marcus Marshall

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No doubt Jordan goes back to QB next year...we're losing Byerly, so (assuming Ratliffe isn't ready next year) we'd need Jordan and Campbell as our #2 & 3 QBs. We'll probably recruit another QB this year, but ideally you want to redshirt a freshman QB, so that brings Jordan back to QB out of need.

I highly doubt Jordan ever goes back to QB. We only really have 2 active QBs now, Thomas and Byerly, with Campbell RSing. Next year we'll still have 2, Thomas and Campbell, and probably someone RSing as well. If we would need a dedicated 3rd string active QB, then we would need him there this year. Unless something happens to either Thomas or Campbell, I don't see him moving back to QB.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I highly doubt Jordan ever goes back to QB. We only really have 2 active QBs now, Thomas and Byerly, with Campbell RSing. Next year we'll still have 2, Thomas and Campbell, and probably someone RSing as well. If we would need a dedicated 3rd string active QB, then we would need him there this year. Unless something happens to either Thomas or Campbell, I don't see him moving back to QB.

But "triple option" quarterbacks get hurt so often and little JeT can't take the pounding so we need at least 5 ;). We have been blessed with few QB injuries and hopefully that continues.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Agree. Martensen was set up as #3 (when Jordan moved to AB) and when Martensen recently got hurt Swilling went back to #3. Martensen is a solid #3 and I agree that we do not need a good schlorship athlete sitting for emergency duty when we have serviceable players like Martensen (and Swilling) for short term.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Jordan is the #3 this year. He's just playing AB too.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
Brother Keith and his fortunes at UGA ; from the official depth chart for the ULM game.

TB
27 Nick Chubb (5-10, 220, So.)
1 Sony Michel (5-11, 212, So.)
4 Keith Marshall (5-11, 212, Jr.) OR
22 Brendan Douglas (5-11, 215, Jr.

I would love nothing more than for him to get minimal touches this year and then graduate and transfer to play for us next year. He would be an insane A-back

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I would love nothing more than for him to get minimal touches this year and then graduate and transfer to play for us next year. He would be an insane A-back
If he's listed as a junior, he must have gotten a medical redshirt...anyone know if that's true? He came in the same class as Gurley and didn't redshirt, so unless he got a medical one of these years he's a senior. I think that was part of the discussion when we signed Marcus, people hoping he would graduate over summer and come here for his last year. If he's actually a junior and can play out this year then transfer next year, that would be amazing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For the life of me, I can't understand why many keep making this suggestion. A-backs touch the ball so much less in our offense than B-backs. If we have a guy who runs a 4.4 that can legitimately play B-Back, he definitely needs to stay there. That sort of weapon doesn't present itself all that often. As I've said many times before, the visions and cuts he makes after hitting the LOS are incredible.

If things don't work out at B-back, then sure, move him to A...but until then I'm going to hold out hope that the kid is a stud that can give us a big time home run threat on the first option.

Neither can I. A guy heavy enough to play BB and that fast has to be at BB. :cautious:

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
For the life of me, I can't understand why many keep making this suggestion. A-backs touch the ball so much less in our offense than B-backs. If we have a guy who runs a 4.4 that can legitimately play B-Back, he definitely needs to stay there. That sort of weapon doesn't present itself all that often. As I've said many times before, the visions and cuts he makes after hitting the LOS are incredible.

If things don't work out at B-back, then sure, move him to A...but until then I'm going to hold out hope that the kid is a stud that can give us a big time home run threat on the first option.

It was just a thought. I wasn't aware that an underclassman couldn't conceivably sub in/get carries from both positions in one season.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
If he's listed as a junior, he must have gotten a medical redshirt...anyone know if that's true? He came in the same class as Gurley and didn't redshirt, so unless he got a medical one of these years he's a senior. I think that was part of the discussion when we signed Marcus, people hoping he would graduate over summer and come here for his last year. If he's actually a junior and can play out this year then transfer next year, that would be amazing.

Yes he was injured last year and redshirted. I don't know if it was a medical RS or if he was injured before he played any games and it was just a normal RS. Either way he can play this year, graduate, and come here next year if he wanted to.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If all of you will remember, Snoddy is an RS senior this year. He'll be gone and we'll need someone to step in at AB who is fast and as big as he is. Who, oh, who, could that possibly be? Marshall, of course. We'll be packed to the gills at BB next year in addition. Why not make Marshall another Orwin Smith or Shaun White (Navy), carrying the ball 15 -20 times a game? I can guarantee you that this combo will be tried next year; it solves a lot of problems. True, if Marshall is as special as everyone thinks we could move Leggett to AB, but I'm betting that won't happen.

Oh, and btw, I think Jordan will also go back to QB next year as well, at least at first. He's at AB because of Byerley and Cotrell getting injured. If JT gets hurt - but Heaven forfend! - he'll go back this year with Martensen at 3. Btw, Martensen is a wizard with our O; he's been running it since he was a soph at Marist. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a good deal and - perhaps - even start sometime in his career.

But luckily we appear to be pretty set for tomorrow and all this is for next year, provided we don't have a rash of injuries.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If Marshall is as good at being a Bback as CPJ say's he is, why in the hell would he move him to Aback? We will be loaded at both back positions next year not worried. Jordan can stay QB but I think he'll stick to being an Aback for now. I'm predicting Ratlieff to be cleared to play as well, in which he'll either be a QB/Aback or safety.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
But "triple option" quarterbacks get hurt so often and little JeT can't take the pounding so we need at least 5 ;). We have been blessed with few QB injuries and hopefully that continues.

I agree with your point that our QBs don't get hurt all the time. But it seems that all of our QBs have been hurt to varying degrees. The more they play, the more banged up they get due to the running style into the scrum.

JT was hampered by the leg / knee sprain for half of last year. JN was always beat up from his style of play and then broke his arm (JN is still my favorite player under CPJ). TW almost always seemed to be at reduced capacity and limping (but good at the goal line dive over RT). Jaybo Shaw just wasn't built for the D1 contact and was usually hurt. Byerly hasn't been hurt much that I know of but hasn't played much.

This year we are in good shape with two good QBs (one great, the other good). I've always believed that we should play our second string QB more to develop him for the inevitable when the starter goes down.