Marcus Marshall

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Brother Keith and his fortunes at UGA ; from the official depth chart for the ULM game.

TB
27 Nick Chubb (5-10, 220, So.)
1 Sony Michel (5-11, 212, So.)
4 Keith Marshall (5-11, 212, Jr.) OR
22 Brendan Douglas (5-11, 215, Jr.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Question, if Marshall runs a 4.4 have they considered moving him to A back, so long as there's a surplus of quality B backs? Someone may have already asked this, didn't read the whole thread.

ramblinwrek22

Georgia Tech Fan
Watching his senior highlights get boring after a while of watching all those touchdowns, foreal though some of those cuts remind me of Barry Sanders.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Question, if Marshall runs a 4.4 have they considered moving him to A back, so long as there's a surplus of quality B backs? Someone may have already asked this, didn't read the whole thread.

IMO we have a plethora of riches in speed already at A back. Of course most of it hasn't played yet, but i think we have numbers there already. When I first saw MM film, he had BB written all over him. I think he is right where he needs to be. It's not like he's buried on the depth chart, he will play this year, maybe more than we think.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
IMO we have a plethora of riches in speed already at A back. Of course most of it hasn't played yet, but i think we have numbers there already. When I first saw MM film, he had BB written all over him. I think he is right where he needs to be. It's not like he's buried on the depth chart, he will play this year, maybe more than we think.

And in the long run the BB gets triple or so more times the carries than an AB. We have 10+ ABs for 2016 and 2017 already.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Not likely. As someone already said, we moved MLD to AB so that he could see the field. Skov and Allen graduate next year, so I think you'll see us move forward with Q, CJL, and MM, with MLD a permanent AB going forward. It will also make it difficult to keep a balanced roster if we need to recruit another BB in the next year or two.

In terms of ABs, next year we will have a lot of ABs (this is kinda crazy). I bet next year we end up redshirting any freshmen who play this year - we may start Willis and Green, with Lynch, Searcy, McClellan, and Cottrell taking up a lot of the PT. That's six deep right there. Unless TaQ or MLD proves they are one of our top 3-4 guys, I don't know if we need to use up a year of eligibility on them.

Seniors - Willis (RS); McClellan (RS)

Junior - JJ Green (RS)

Sophomores - Searcy (RS); Lynch (RS); Jordan (RS) - would not be surprised if he gets moved back to QB based on our depth; TaQ Marshall - would not be surprised to see him redshirt based on depth; MLD - same (assuming he plays this year, which isn't a given)

Freshmen - Benson (RS); Cottrell (RS); Turner (RS); Jarrett (RS) - assuming most, if not all, will redshirt this year.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

Junior - JJ Green (RS)

Sophomores - Searcy (RS); Lynch (RS); Jordan (RS) - would not be surprised if he gets moved back to QB based on our depth; TaQ Marshall - would not be surprised to see him redshirt based on depth; MLD - same (assuming he plays this year, which isn't a given)

Freshmen - Benson (RS); Cottrell (RS); Turner (RS); Jarrett (RS) - assuming most, if not all, will redshirt this year.

Man, AB is going to be sick next year.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Not likely. As someone already said, we moved MLD to AB so that he could see the field. Skov and Allen graduate next year, so I think you'll see us move forward with Q, CJL, and MM, with MLD a permanent AB going forward. It will also make it difficult to keep a balanced roster if we need to recruit another BB in the next year or two.

In terms of ABs, next year we will have a lot of ABs (this is kinda crazy). I bet next year we end up redshirting any freshmen who play this year - we may start Willis and Green, with Lynch, Searcy, McClellan, and Cottrell taking up a lot of the PT. That's six deep right there. Unless TaQ or MLD proves they are one of our top 3-4 guys, I don't know if we need to use up a year of eligibility on them.

Junior - JJ Green (RS)

No doubt Jordan goes back to QB next year...we're losing Byerly, so (assuming Ratliffe isn't ready next year) we'd need Jordan and Campbell as our #2 & 3 QBs. We'll probably recruit another QB this year, but ideally you want to redshirt a freshman QB, so that brings Jordan back to QB out of need.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
No doubt Jordan goes back to QB next year...we're losing Byerly, so (assuming Ratliffe isn't ready next year) we'd need Jordan and Campbell as our #2 & 3 QBs. We'll probably recruit another QB this year, but ideally you want to redshirt a freshman QB, so that brings Jordan back to QB out of need.

Agree if Jordan is in an AB slot to get on the field some; however, if he blossoms into an AB star I can see him staying at AB and Martensen and Campbell being the backups....especially if Campbell is looking like the future. Martensen is a solid #3 backup.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

For the life of me, I can't understand why many keep making this suggestion. A-backs touch the ball so much less in our offense than B-backs. If we have a guy who runs a 4.4 that can legitimately play B-Back, he definitely needs to stay there. That sort of weapon doesn't present itself all that often. As I've said many times before, the visions and cuts he makes after hitting the LOS are incredible.

If things don't work out at B-back, then sure, move him to A...but until then I'm going to hold out hope that the kid is a stud that can give us a big time home run threat on the first option.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Just because a guy is fast doesn't mean he should be an AB. BB should be the #1 priority, if he can do all the right things at that position then he should stay there. I like having a guy at BB who can break away, just as long as he can get the tough yardage if the home run isn't there.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Skov will be gone but Allen will have one more year of eligibility following this one, and barring a monster year by him, I think he'll be back in the fold next year

Next year Allen, M Marshall, Weimerskirch, Braswell, and Swilling come back and we add Leggett and Mills (Mills likely will RS). Seems like a crowd but there is a similar crowd at AB in 2016....good problem for the program (and better Scout Team) but not enough PT for all the good players. I noticed UGA is 4 deep in feature backs and with their recent injury history they need 4. We lost two in Spring practice so I guess 4 is a reasonable count.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Re AB and BB. Glancing at 2014 stats all AB had a total of 196 carries. All BB had a total of 349 carries. This caveat: I counted all of Days carries as BB which is incorrect but quick.
My feeling the best running back needs to get the most carries. But I am not a coach.