GT vs Pitt Postgame

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I just believe it is time for our fan base to come together on the issue of Paul Johnson.

The Paul Johnson haters should give him credit for what he has done the previous 10 seasons. It has overall been a nice body of work and the 2014 season is literally a once in a generation season for GT. I think he has done as well if not better than any coach we could have hired over the same period. I appreciate what he has done. I have a lot of fond memories at Bobby Dodd during his tenure.

The Paul Johnson apologists should now realize that his time is over at Tech. Even if he is still coaching next season, he has lost this team. For years his offense could overcome bad defenses and special teams. But the offense can no longer hide the multiple deficiencies with this team. He used to be able to out coach the other guy on game day. That is no longer the case. He has simply made too many questionable decisions lately. And his teams seem ill prepared.

And finally, he is stubborn. We had a QB who cannot throw and has a bad wheel. Yet he played the entire game and threw the ball poorly once again. Could we have not at least tried at half time to put in the guy that led us to 3 straight touchdowns in the second half of USF? I just don't buy the whole "he sees them at practice every day" argument. We see what is going on every Saturday. With Oliver, we would be no worse than 1-2 right now. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. This is how I feel about CPJ's coaching decisions every week.

I feel very badly for TQM. He doesn’t have the support or coaching available to him to do what needs to be done, or he is asked to do. I literally fear for his health the remainder of the season.

As far as playing someone else to help the team out at a certain point? A guy named Nick Saban, in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game, put in someone else over a player that had led his team to a ton of big victories. Saban’s ego was focused on his team winning, not focused on the possibility that someone would question his choice.

I think CPJ is good for young people to be around, that he is a good, decent person / father / husband. I wish we had put money in facilities (like many in the shoestring budget Yellow Jacket Club of the 1970s started to thankfully push for) so that we would have every advantage now for him.

But I feel today like we just again played the UT game of 2017. I have doubts to CPJs recruiting ability (even considering academics because I don’t know how Elon, gsu, etc are recruiting such academic giants that we have to raid their classes), his loyalty to certain coaches, his gameday decision making, his ability to motivate, his demeanor in areas important to a successful program.

I am not eloquent enough to list it all.

It will be tough to replace CPJ, but we need to. The longer he is here, the tougher it will be to recover.

I in no way “hate” CPJ. I do love GT, just like all here.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
First I Love Tech, I like CPJ wish he could turn things around but don't see that now. After today it can only be a few things.

The players are not that good ( I hope and don't think this is the case )
The players have quit on CPJ ( again I hope not ) but remember it only takes a few bad apples to mess a team up
CPJ is a good coach but can't get the players to follow him.
CJP for some reason is now lost and don't know what to do with the players. ( I'm afraid this is the case )
Everyone in the ACC now knows how to stop this offense and we can't counter what they do
We need to stop looking a star ratings for defensive players and only sign ones who can tackle even if they are no stars.
looking at our schedule we play VT, NC , and uga on the road so you have to think all 3 we lose. yes even NC
Clemson we lose that leaves Duke Bowling Green, Miami , and UVa at home I don't see us winning all 4 games maybe 2 .

If I were CPJ I would step down after this year, I hate it and know that means 3 more bad years and at my age I'm running out of time.

I will still get season tickets and go to all the home games like I did in 1981 and hope we can find a coach. But some of the ones Y'all have named one you want but they will not come to Tech once they learn how bad their hands are tied up. I sorry I just don't see this program improving for a long long very long time if things don't change to help the football program. We are the new Duke of the ACC.

We miss a bowl again this year, I expect. Too bad. I had high hopes for this team.

Deleted member 2897

If we switch coaches, we aren’t destined for a bad season. We have the personnel with Lucas Johnson and James Graham to run a “more traditional” offense TODAY. There is not a potential rebuild to be had AT ALL. It will only come down to if CPJ can actually coach, if he is enjoying coaching, and if he keeps the team behind him.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think Lucas would be playing if he were healthy. I can only assume Tobias isn’t ready to take the reigns or cannot make the reads/throws that he needs to make.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Those that believed that magically a difference D scheme would make mediocre players all world were wrong. Roof's philosophy kept us in more games than it cost us, but either way, with Roof or Woody, we have to have better front 7 players.

Agree our front 7 needs some playmakers, but Roof sucked. I think we will actually see some improvement as the year goes on with the defense. The QB position needs change, if it doesn’t get any change we’re going to lose 8 games. If we play TO or maybe the Freshman we could still squeak into a bowl game. This team could be 3-0 if the coach would stop making boneheaded calls and the players would stop beating themselves.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Got to love statements like this that contribute zero to the discussion but crap on our starters.

I am not crapping on TQM. Paul has played two QBs before, and Clemson is doing that very thing. I didn’t say we would bench TQM, just that Lucas would be playing.