GT vs Pitt Postgame

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Today was about 1) CPJ coaching decisions 2) OL injuries and issues and 3) Taquon’s decisions and accuracy.

A game IMO we should win. This one hurt

Pretty much agree with your post 100%. To add:

The two bogus 15-yd penalties in the first quarter still make me INCENSED. The runner's feet were in bounds on both plays when the hits were made. You can claim to know "they would have scored anyway" but that's BS....there could have been fumbles, penalties, a big negative play, etc. Not saying we lost because of those penalties but just that they were insanely bad calls.

On the OL: I thought we got Kenny Cooper back this week? I didn't see him in the first half, and honestly I didn't watch the second half. Did he play? Why say he's back if he isn't going to play? Not having Will Bryan was horrible as well....I hope it's just that he's sick but likely we will hear some news like he's out for the season.

I do think there were some fast-forced pitches where Taquon hung onto the ball when he should have pitched it. In general we looked tight, out-of-sync, and wildly inconsistent on offense. At times we gashed em and at other times they stuffed us. Then lots of dropped passes, bad throws, or untimely lapses in protection.

PK is an abortion.

Frustrating because the potential is there on both sides of the ball. Problem is we've now lost two we were favored in and we'll probably only be favored in 1 to 2 of the remaining games on our schedule. Could get ugly.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Losses happen.

It's just the way we're losing is....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

10 years later, and it seems the same issues are still plaguing this team. At some point, you have to look at the common denominator.

Trying to look at the bright side today: Our defense looked MUCH better the second half. The bad news is the defense gets to follow up a good half with Clemson. Could be one step forward 2 steps back...

Deleted member 2897

Pat Narduzzi is still a condescending *******, maybe even on the level of Coach Cutcliffe. That is all. As you were.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Taqon should never start another game at qb. He can't beat teams making correct option decisions and he can't beat you throwing the ball. One of my many pet peeves with Paul. He's all about seniority. Well I'd rather watch a freshman make the same mistake 100x than a senior
He wasn't with Mills & Marshal. He has favorites.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A lot of blame to go around today. If the players execute a handful of simple plays, it could’ve turned out very different. Coach had a few bad calls, so he’s not off the hook. Defense is still not very good, still don’t get off blocks, still don’t tackle.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Narduzzi is a douche. PJ pissed about being able to throw an 8 yard out - recruit someone who can and then let them play! Instead we will keep playing the guy who can't because he runs well. At this point it is what it is. Throwing is just that throwing. It's time for a passing game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ķ
Call Kevin Steele.
Great one.
He coached baylor to 0 wins in big 12 when my son was a student. At one game texas tech was ahead 45 - Ut w 5 minutes to go in 2nd.
That said - i had a chance to visit w coach Nix ( ex gt asst) who says JS has changed his ways.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
FWIW, I've always supported CPJ, and I still think he's a good coach but what I see on the field is a team with no faith. I don't think there is any coming back from this. 2015 was certainly frustrating but what I saw on the field was still 100% effort and a belief they could win. They just weren't very good. Last year and this year is just plain bad football and a team that doesn't believe they can win.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It was painful. This was not Clemson, or UGA, or even Miami or VT. This was a bad team which lost at home last week 51-6.

I think this pretty much sums up the problem. Pitt is not a good team. Given all the breaks they had, they damn near let us get back in the game by fooling around in the second half. Where does that leave us? We look like a poorly coached, undisciplined, out of shape team that needs to be playing Tulane, Navy, Memphis State, Georgia State and not Virginia Tech, UGA, Miami, and Clemson. Our special teams is about as bad as I have seen since the 1970s. Defense cannot tackle, pressure the passer or defend passes. Our receivers are...pretty bad. They either cannot get open or when they get open they drop passes.

This is potentially the worst team in the Johnson era and highlights the need for a complete overhaul of recruiting. The coaching is bad enough but we have little talent. There is no one, I mean no one on offense that the other team should fear. There is no one that has defensive backs pointing to in pre game drills and saying to one another see that dude? He is the one we got to stop. When D. Thomas, Smelter, Waller, were playing you can bet they were being pointed out. Recruiting is extremely poor but for the love of God please recruit linemen on both offense and defense. The only positive that I can see is the hard running of Jerry and Jordan and the effort given in the second half to prevent this from being an even bigger debacle than it was looking to be at the half.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much agree with your post 100%. To add:

The two bogus 15-yd penalties in the first quarter still make me INCENSED. The runner's feet were in bounds on both plays when the hits were made. You can claim to know "they would have scored anyway" but that's BS....there could have been fumbles, penalties, a big negative play, etc. Not saying we lost because of those penalties but just that they were insanely bad calls.

On the OL: I thought we got Kenny Cooper back this week? I didn't see him in the first half, and honestly I didn't watch the second half. Did he play? Why say he's back if he isn't going to play? Not having Will Bryan was horrible as well....I hope it's just that he's sick but likely we will hear some news like he's out for the season.

I do think there were some fast-forced pitches where Taquon hung onto the ball when he should have pitched it. In general we looked tight, out-of-sync, and wildly inconsistent on offense. At times we gashed em and at other times they stuffed us. Then lots of dropped passes, bad throws, or untimely lapses in protection.

PK is an abortion.

Frustrating because the potential is there on both sides of the ball. Problem is we've now lost two we were favored in and we'll probably only be favored in 1 to 2 of the remaining games on our schedule. Could get ugly.

I was wondering about Cooper as well. Especially when we lost our tackle I thought Cooper would come in and Lee would go to tackle.

I am trying my best not to think about our PK

stech81

Helluva Engineer
A lot of blame to go around today. If the players execute a handful of simple plays, it could’ve turned out very different. Coach had a few bad calls, so he’s not off the hook. Defense is still not very good, still don’t get off blocks, still don’t tackle.
I did think it was a great team loss today offense , defense , SP, coaching all did their part to lose.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Everyone can say what they want about CPJ, recruiting, uniforms, defense, blah blah blah...

The fact is that we have some talented players. What separates this team from maybe the 2016 team is belief. Both the 17 and 18 teams had belief until they got put behind the 8 ball. It seems like once we are behind, we just lose hope and don't show any sign of urgency. The last drive of the game, we were walking up to the line and taking our sweet time. Why? Lack of belief. Confidence, especially in football, goes a LONG way.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
First I Love Tech, I like CPJ wish he could turn things around but don't see that now. After today it can only be a few things.

The players are not that good ( I hope and don't think this is the case )
The players have quit on CPJ ( again I hope not ) but remember it only takes a few bad apples to mess a team up
CPJ is a good coach but can't get the players to follow him.
CJP for some reason is now lost and don't know what to do with the players. ( I'm afraid this is the case )
Everyone in the ACC now knows how to stop this offense and we can't counter what they do
We need to stop looking a star ratings for defensive players and only sign ones who can tackle even if they are no stars.
looking at our schedule we play VT, NC , and uga on the road so you have to think all 3 we lose. yes even NC
Clemson we lose that leaves Duke Bowling Green, Miami , and UVa at home I don't see us winning all 4 games maybe 2 .

If I were CPJ I would step down after this year, I hate it and know that means 3 more bad years and at my age I'm running out of time.

I will still get season tickets and go to all the home games like I did in 1981 and hope we can find a coach. But some of the ones Y'all have named one you want but they will not come to Tech once they learn how bad their hands are tied up. I sorry I just don't see this program improving for a long long very long time if things don't change to help the football program. We are the new Duke of the ACC.

You should have stopped at number one. The players are just not that good. Coach Johnson needs to see the writing on the wall and step down. All of the scheming in the world is not going to make up for mediocre to poor recruiting classes.