GT vs Pitt Postgame

GT_EE78

Banned
I was a GT SA, a real one. I was always a student first as it was a club sport. But we competed against ACC and other D1 foes nonetheless. I wore a GT on my chest with pride and sacrificed many hours I could have been studying while training, traveling and completing. We even completed against and beat some teams with scholarship athletes even though my mates and I paid our way.

All that is said to emphasize my point that I don’t want to cave to the factory method of success or change who we are for success on the field. We need a greater commitment to finding the SAs that fit the mold... not change the mold to fit the easy path.
so what's your beef witth factory thing? don't all smart folks make some effort to emulate those who are more successful?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So I never went to GT, can someone who did explain why they wouldn’t want the academic side of things to change? I’m not talking about dropping down necessarily in requirements to get in and stuff of that nature. But why would someone not want more degree options and calculus not being a requirement in everything? Or would most be ok with that?

I’d be okay with adding majors but what would that look like? I don’t think we offer any BAs which, I think, would lend itself to a calculus-free curriculum. I’m guessing the BoR wouldn’t grant us the right to offer BAs, probably letting Georgia State and/or UGA offer those. Pure speculation on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I’d be okay with adding majors but what would that look like? I don’t think we offer any BAs which, I think, would lend itself to a calculus-free curriculum. I’m guessing the BoR wouldn’t grant us the right to offer BAs, probably letting Georgia State and/or UGA offer those. Pure speculation on my part.

I’d say look for the top 5 majors not offered by GT that are the top majors for student athletes.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’d say look for the top 5 majors not offered by GT that are the top majors for student athletes.

You are not going to get things like Parks and Recreation added to the GT curriculum. They are not going to add a major like that for 50 FB players. I wouldn't make the proposal for that.

We can keep kids in school. We simply need a little help with finding good FB players who want to be students and then getting some of them in school.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You are not going to get things like Parks and Recreation added to the GT curriculum. They are not going to add a major like that for 50 FB players. I wouldn't make the proposal for that.

We can keep kids in school. We simply need a little help with finding good FB players who want to be students and then getting some of them in school.
Ok, reasonable majors then.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So I never went to GT, can someone who did explain why they wouldn’t want the academic side of things to change? I’m not talking about dropping down necessarily in requirements to get in and stuff of that nature. But why would someone not want more degree options and calculus not being a requirement in everything? Or would most be ok with that?
For me personally, I don't see any reason to make academic decisions based on athletics. That is a completely backwards way of thinking imo. If they can find new majors that they think will benefit the institute, the student body, and attract new quality applicants, but also at the same time provide an easier route for athletes then by all means go for it. I also think people blow this up way too much. Does this impact recruiting? Sure. Will it send us to consistent top 25 classes if we change things? No. We would literally be asking the administration at one of the finest schools in the world to alter their academic curriculum for a slight improvement in football recruiting.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The culture at GT puts off as many recruits as does the academic rigor. Simply put, it’s not cool to be a nerd and that’s how they see us.

Our focus needs to either be to change the existing perception, or to dig deeper for those few who embrace it.

RiseUpATL

Banned
What do you like about Ga Tech? I am happy to hear you have been successful in life and have literally no interest in stacking lives against each other to beat each other up over a message board. I clearly offended you with my comments, which wasn’t my intention.

I just don’t understand why people would be fans of our program, knowing that we will always and forever be a school first, and allow themselves to be so annoyed by the logic we follow. It’s like saying I like following the naval academy sports teams but wish they weren’t limited by military acceptance standards and players didn’t have to make weight / measurement standards to graduate.

We literally are defined by our commitment to academic standards. So if you’re not fired up to embrace that, then why did you pick to support our program? I’m not at all trying to chase you off but rather trying to understand the logic.

My first post, but this is sort of where I am. It’s like I need to pick a second team to support if I want to experience “real college football”. I did not go to GT, so I don’t care too much about the academics. I just have a hard time understanding why GT cannot be the Stanford of the South. Or even Notre Dame. Michigan also has pretty tough standards but have a big time program. You can have a great school academically and have a big time football program. It doesn’t have to be this way with GT. But for whatever reason it is and it’s hard to see past the changes.

GT could be a sleeping giant if we were a Stanford being in the recruiting hot bed we are in. It is getting tough for me as a GT football fan only with no connection to the school other than that. I’m not giving up. I’m also not necessarily going to carve out any more time on Saturdays until the current product changes. It’s just tough to watch and it puts me in a bad mood so I’m walking away for a bit.

This offense, in my opinion, is killing GT football. It was really a neat thing to watch when we had Gailey’s players but the recruiting has dropped off to the point that I do not get excited to watch anyone currently playing for GT. Think back to 08 and 09. Going to GT to watch Nesbitt, Thomas, Derrick Morgan, Anthony Allen, etc. was a lot of fun. I wanted to go watch them play. Who do we have now that individually makes you want to watch? I gave up on TaQuon towards the end of last year. It was evident to me that his UT performance was an abberation. He got a long leash because of it and because CPJ pulling a starter seems like some sort of admission of failure to him personally. Marshall is simply a RB playing QB. That’s just the long and short of it. Plenty of sample size. But back to my original thought, there just isn’t anyone dynamic on our entire team. Except maybe Harvin the punter. We had Justin Thomas who was dynamic. But that’s really it since 2014 and the results show this. 2-3 losing seasons and no drafted players in the last 2 years. That’s a sign.

No kid these days wants to play in this offense. No kid that plays defense wants to practice against this offense. Our competition has caught up to playing this system. We no longer hold any advantage talent or scheme wise against our competition and it’s all related to the offense.

Paul’s lack of emphasis on recruiting relying on his system to make up for the deficit has not proven to be a winning formula. The fact that we have 3 QBs who apparently can’t throw a ball at a position where that is required is a stark reminder of the recruiting being lackluster. Giving James Graham a pass but we still have a system so complicated that the most talented guy can’t play because it takes 2 years to get this thing down.

Anyways, I digress. I’m starting to ramble and get sideways again.

TL;DR version, I am a “sidewalk” GT fan that is certainly at a crossroads in my fanbood. It’s not all CPJs fault, but I do think GT needs a fresh message and some youth on the coaching staff. Need some energy and some excitement to help ourselves limit the handicap put on by the academic side.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
My first post, but this is sort of where I am. It’s like I need to pick a second team to support if I want to experience “real college football”. I did not go to GT, so I don’t care too much about the academics. I just have a hard time understanding why GT cannot be the Stanford of the South. Or even Notre Dame. Michigan also has pretty tough standards but have a big time program. You can have a great school academically and have a big time football program. It doesn’t have to be this way with GT. But for whatever reason it is and it’s hard to see past the changes.

GT could be a sleeping giant if we were a Stanford being in the recruiting hot bed we are in. It is getting tough for me as a GT football fan only with no connection to the school other than that. I’m not giving up. I’m also not necessarily going to carve out any more time on Saturdays until the current product changes. It’s just tough to watch and it puts me in a bad mood so I’m walking away for a bit.

This offense, in my opinion, is killing GT football. It was really a neat thing to watch when we had Gailey’s players but the recruiting has dropped off to the point that I do not get excited to watch anyone currently playing for GT. Think back to 08 and 09. Going to GT to watch Nesbitt, Thomas, Derrick Morgan, Anthony Allen, etc. was a lot of fun. I wanted to go watch them play. Who do we have now that individually makes you want to watch? I gave up on TaQuon towards the end of last year. It was evident to me that his UT performance was an abberation. He got a long leash because of it and because CPJ pulling a starter seems like some sort of admission of failure to him personally. Marshall is simply a RB playing QB. That’s just the long and short of it. Plenty of sample size. But back to my original thought, there just isn’t anyone dynamic on our entire team. Except maybe Harvin the punter. We had Justin Thomas who was dynamic. But that’s really it since 2014 and the results show this. 2-3 losing seasons and no drafted players in the last 2 years. That’s a sign.

No kid these days wants to play in this offense. No kid that plays defense wants to practice against this offense. Our competition has caught up to playing this system. We no longer hold any advantage talent or scheme wise against our competition and it’s all related to the offense.

Paul’s lack of emphasis on recruiting relying on his system to make up for the deficit has not proven to be a winning formula. The fact that we have 3 QBs who apparently can’t throw a ball at a position where that is required is a stark reminder of the recruiting being lackluster. Giving James Graham a pass but we still have a system so complicated that the most talented guy can’t play because it takes 2 years to get this thing down.

Anyways, I digress. I’m starting to ramble and get sideways again.

TL;DR version, I am a “sidewalk” GT fan that is certainly at a crossroads in my fanbood. It’s not all CPJs fault, but I do think GT needs a fresh message and some youth on the coaching staff. Need some energy and some excitement to help ourselves limit the handicap put on by the academic side.

First of all, I think our sidewalk fans are the best because they chose GT when there are plenty of other places to go. For example, it’s pretty easy to be a UGA fan because they are fairly good on a regular basis, their merchandise is all over the place, and there are plenty of UGA fans that you can share your experiences with. So, I’m glad you chose us and I hope you stick with us.

Secondly, when I joined this board I thought that GT fans used academics as a crutch but I’m starting to buy into it. You mentioned Stanford, Michigan, and Notre Dame in your post. Yes, these schools do have high admission standards but they also, to their advantage, have a broad array of majors. Many of these majors don’t involve calculus, physics, etc. and they have many, many more majors from which to choose. Therefore, it is easier to match a recruit with an academic program. GT is under the thumb of the Board of Regents and I don’t think they will ever allow us to offer many of the majors offered at the aforementioned schools because they are probably already offered at Georgia State and UGA. Even if it did change, it wouldn’t fix all of our problems but it would certainly make recruiting easier.

I’m a little disillusioned about CPJ’s offense right now. There was a time when I thought it was a thing of beauty. Now, it seems less than effective against teams we see every year, especially if they have a bye week before they play us. I’m at a loss.

Anyway, I will always be a Tech fan, even if we don’t win a single game. I truly do believe things will get better so I hope you stick with us.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

The BOR made up of 11 uga, 5 gt, 6 other

Uga runs this state.

Once gt had great football leaders. They were so good that national awards were named after then Heisman, Dodd, Broyles, Rice. How far we have fallen. Gtaa still seems smug.

I still hope for leaders worthy of standing in their shadow. Sadly we are under the thumb of b o r so that us not likely. Maybe Tstan can it work them and return gt football so the word excellence is not mentioned as "storied" ancient history.

I M w GT football!

Animal02

Banned
First of all, I think our sidewalk fans are the best because they chose GT when there are plenty of other places to go. For example, it’s pretty easy to be a UGA fan because they are fairly good on a regular basis, their merchandise is all over the place, and there are plenty of UGA fans that you can share your experiences with. So, I’m glad you chose us and I hope you stick with us.

Secondly, when I joined this board I thought that GT fans used academics as a crutch but I’m starting to buy into it. You mentioned Stanford, Michigan, and Notre Dame in your post. Yes, these schools do have high admission standards but they also, to their advantage, have a broad array of majors. Many of these majors don’t involve calculus, physics, etc. and they have many, many more majors from which to choose. Therefore, it is easier to match a recruit with an academic program. GT is under the thumb of the Board of Regents and I don’t think they will ever allow us to offer many of the majors offered at the aforementioned schools because they are probably already offered at Georgia State and UGA. Even if it did change, it wouldn’t fix all of our problems but it would certainly make recruiting easier.

I’m a little disillusioned about CPJ’s offense right now. There was a time when I thought it was a thing of beauty. Now, it seems less than effective against teams we see every year, especially if they have a bye week before they play us. I’m at a loss.

Anyway, I will always be a Tech fan, even if we don’t win a single game. I truly do believe things will get better so I hope you stick with us.

I am not disillusioned with the offensive scheme.....but we seem to be lacking the tools. I am disappointed in TM's lack of growth, compared to QBs of the past. We are thin in the rest of the backfield, and seems like another year with injuries on the front line, and Tech will never be able to recruit the deep bench. Defense looks like it is on the upswing, but it is a work in progress.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I am not disillusioned with the offensive scheme.....but we seem to be lacking the tools. I am disappointed in TM's lack of growth, compared to QBs of the past. We are thin in the rest of the backfield, and seems like another year with injuries on the front line, and Tech will never be able to recruit the deep bench. Defense looks like it is on the upswing, but it is a work in progress.
We need to figure why we keep have so many injuries on the OL. Are we doing something wrong ? or does this happen to everyone and I just don't pay it any attention. I understand we have no depth and it hurts. Or is it just plain bad luck ?

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Saturday I was pretty much stunned speechless and I hope if anything by the end of this season we are all in agreement and can move on from CPJ and his TO offense.
But I was thinking back to the mid-80's, my Dad and I had the season tickets and we just lost to Furman, 17-14 (I think), which was a head-scratched for sure.
It's 30 years later and I'm still here, because I'm a fan of the school and the program, not a specific coach or his offensive scheme and I'll be here for another 30 years (OK maybe 25) ...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
So far this year we have not seen any significant improvement in defense, ST play, or passing. I can give a pass to our new DC since it takes a while for recruiting and experience in it plus a lot of young players. Lack of improvement in passing and ST is troubling. That is on coaching in my opinion.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel like this is a leaky dam kind of thing right now. We have had razor thin margins of error for wins and losses. One player not doing his job will cost us severely. Brad did that on Howard's long run to start the 2nd half. If he got in front of his man that was a touchdown but he kinda just jogged next to him. Looking at the schedule we will be in every game except for Clemson and UGA. We will be competitive but unless we start getting in sync I just don't see it. I hope I am very wrong but we had a very bad first half that escalated quickly. The refs did not help the situation. Those penalties were some of the worst I had ever seen.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
My first post, but this is sort of where I am. It’s like I need to pick a second team to support if I want to experience “real college football”. I did not go to GT, so....

In the interest of saving space, I won’t quote everything you said, but it’s a great post, first or otherwise. You’ve nailed it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk