GT (+10.5) at Miami

Stony157

Georgia Tech Fan
Weather forecast Miami in afternoon
86 degrees but feels like 93.
55% chance thunderstorm.

I'm not sure what the weather's been in Atlanta, but the humidity down here is still high. That could make it tough going in second half of the game. Miami themselves are just now getting back in game shape after sitting out for ten days or so during the hurricane. Miami Coach Mike Rumph was saying that this morning on a radio show.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
# # #
I live in Coral Gables so I get my share of overload on Miami, but need to add a couple of things in your comments here.

Miami has about 3-4 tall receivers 6'3" to 6'5", all of whom are not much different in skill level, only experience, so there's plenty of challenge there if they have to run them into the game. It seems to be the way Richt is building the team and there are lots of high caliber skill players here in South Florida.

The other is Miami still has better talent than Tech. If I remember the numbers in the graphic I saw a couple of weeks ago correctly, Miami is the #1 team since 2000 putting first round draft choices into the NFL with 40. Ohio State is 2nd with 38 and Alabama is 3rd. And Miami has 3rd most players in the NFL still, even after all these years. The last 15 years, they've had terrible coaching which is why they've been mediocre. Richt looks like he's turning it around so this year would be the year to take them before they get better as it appears from down here.

All that said, they've played with a lot of mistakes partly because of their youth and partly because of past recruiting which isn't as good as their current classes are starting to show. Mayb we can take advantage of their injuries and mistakes.

Duke may be better than we think and FSU might be as good as we thought, both giving more weight to Miami's W's.
But based on what I've seen, GT should be able to run on your defense and control the clock ... which should be a big deal, especially in crappy weather that will hamper "big" plays on offense.

Deleted member 2897

Turnovers will tell the tale, I fear.

That could be in our favor though. University-7 was already throwing 70% of the time (Walton was already banged up prior to the injury), so you can bet they will pick their spots with running for sure, but will be leaning on Rosier's legs and throwing the most. If I had to guess, I would bet 80% of the plays Saturday will either be a Rosier run or a Rosier throw.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what Richt did at Georgia because I never really followed him or them...or cared. As for character, the Canes aren't the "character" guys of the old Canes. Miami tied with Stanford and one other school, which I can't remember, for graduating 100% of their players in the last report I saw. They've got an excellent academic support group. And Miami was the number one school in the country for community service hours going into elementary schools and hospitals visiting kids. Richt has been recruiting high character young men. I know Miami's old reputation for rowdiness will never be forgotten by many, but it's pretty remarkable that what's essentially a small, private, expensive medical school in a wealthy, residential area even has a football team, let alone one that's won a lot from time to time. I'm not trying to convince anyone that they don't have flaws, just that the reputation many have of the school is not accurate.

I'm just glad that the relations between the fans of the two schools is pretty good for the most part. In this sport, there are always some less than civil folks. Best to you!
Glad to hear the positive things happening at Miami. If you reread my comments you will see they were focused on the high character of Tech and not criticism of Miami.
Tech football players have consistently shown to be among the best overall at having fewer character issues (arrests etc). While they might not have the athleticism of some schools I think their higher than average self disciple allows them to compete well with the Miami's of college football. Certainly Miami has a checkered past but I hope Richt will raise the standards to the point where they are a standard of excellence in this area as well.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I hope Richt will raise the standards to the point where they are a standard of excellence in this area as well.
He wasn't exactly raising any standards while at UGA. I don't know, maybe the pressure to win at UGA forced him to take riskier kids. Until he proves me otherwise, I am not sold on Richt being someone to raise the morals and character of a program.

Deleted member 2897

He wasn't exactly raising any standards while at UGA. I don't know, maybe the pressure to win at UGA forced him to take riskier kids. Until he proves me otherwise, I am not sold on Richt being someone to raise the morals and character of a program.

I think Richt is a good guy who tries to instill positive traits into his players. But when you are playing in the deep end of the football pool, there is just only so much you can do.

Stony157

Georgia Tech Fan
Glad to hear the positive things happening at Miami. If you reread my comments you will see they were focused on the high character of Tech and not criticism of Miami.
Tech football players have consistently shown to be among the best overall at having fewer character issues (arrests etc). While they might not have the athleticism of some schools I think their higher than average self disciple allows them to compete well with the Miami's of college football. Certainly Miami has a checkered past but I hope Richt will raise the standards to the point where they are a standard of excellence in this area as well.

I agree. I've always liked the character of Tech athletes and the whole athletic program. Very few problems and it's a school we can all be proud of.

Stony157

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm talking about this year. Not which program has more players in the league.

Look by position groups. You telling me dahU has better receiving threats than our WRs and ABacks? Mmmmm not seeing it.

You think they have better running backs....not seeing it.

You think their QB is better than ours? Wrong again if so.

Now is their D better? Maybe....but I think we will run all over their butts and overcome the majority of negative plays they do make.

We just can't afford to lose the turnover battle or get vastly outplayed on special teams.

You could be right. I don't know the Tech team that well being in South Florida. Miami is thin at WR and RB so their depth is not where they want it, although the runners they do have are good. Walton was considered the best running back in the ACC until he got hurt. And Homer is averaging 8+ yards a carry. They do have excellent RB recruits committed so they will be much better next year. As for the QBs, I think each is better for their own offense. Certainly Rozier is not a running QB, although he can run enough for a drop back passer. And I'm not sure how well Marshall would be as a dropback passer in Miami's style of offense.

I think you are right on the money on turnovers. I think TOs are critical to any team playing Tech. If Tech can play a clean game, they are much harder to beat. So far this year, Miami's special teams have been anything but special. They have potential, but have been so-so. The other advantage Tech has is having a bye week. UM is beat up pretty good from the FSU game.

BTW, the first video on this page is of Richt's press conference today talking about Tech.

Stony157

Georgia Tech Fan
Duke may be better than we think and FSU might be as good as we thought, both giving more weight to Miami's W's.
But based on what I've seen, GT should be able to run on your defense and control the clock ... which should be a big deal, especially in crappy weather that will hamper "big" plays on offense.

Miami's D hasn't played the run up to their billing this year. They were better last year and the front 7 are all back. They are hoping to get in sync soon.

I'm not sure any team that either Tech or Miami has played is very good except for FSU. FSU was talking about getting to the playoffs before their QB was hurt. Of course that's the most important position, but their D was very good.

Tech has always controlled the clock on Miami. In fact, I don't think Miami has won the TOP for any game yet this year or against Tech in past years. It's not that important the way they play against most teams, except they always want to control the clock against Tech to keep their D off the field. It should be a good test of both teams.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You could be right. I don't know the Tech team that well being in South Florida. Miami is thin at WR and RB so their depth is not where they want it, although the runners they do have are good. Walton was considered the best running back in the ACC until he got hurt. And Homer is averaging 8+ yards a carry. They do have excellent RB recruits committed so they will be much better next year. As for the QBs, I think each is better for their own offense. Certainly Rozier is not a running QB, although he can run enough for a drop back passer. And I'm not sure how well Marshall would be as a dropback passer in Miami's style of offense.

I think you are right on the money on turnovers. I think TOs are critical to any team playing Tech. If Tech can play a clean game, they are much harder to beat. So far this year, Miami's special teams have been anything but special. They have potential, but have been so-so. The other advantage Tech has is having a bye week. UM is beat up pretty good from the FSU game.

BTW, the first video on this page is of Richt's press conference today talking about Tech.
Is there any circumstance following the game Saturday where Miami fans will admit GT was the better team? Or do you think the excuses have already been too ingrained? I don't see much difference in the teams, and there wasn't much separating them last year either.

Stony157

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Richt is a good guy who tries to instill positive traits into his players. But when you are playing in the deep end of the football pool, there is just only so much you can do.

I met and spoke with Richt for about 90 minutes this past spring and he seems like a genuine guy. I like his story about becoming a Christian and he has been tremendously positive about the players becoming not just good football players but even better men, future husbands and fathers and it really has had a good impact. And he's met with more kids football teams and schools than any coach before him. He's off to a very good start in the community and the alumni are thrilled with him. We'll have to see with time how things turn out.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Miami's D hasn't played the run up to their billing this year. They were better last year and the front 7 are all back. They are hoping to get in sync soon.

I'm not sure any team that either Tech or Miami has played is very good except for FSU. FSU was talking about getting to the playoffs before their QB was hurt. Of course that's the most important position, but their D was very good.

Tech has always controlled the clock on Miami. In fact, I don't think Miami has won the TOP for any game yet this year or against Tech in past years. It's not that important the way they play against most teams, except they always want to control the clock against Tech to keep their D off the field. It should be a good test of both teams.
We were talking about playoffs in 2015 until injuries happened too ;)

Miami has played the tougher schedule thus far and I agree FSU's D is likely "very good". I'm not convinced FSU is anything more than a 6 or 7 win team without Francois though. If you chalk up an L @ Clemson, their ceiling is 7-4. That's above average, not "very good", especially with two L's at home already. Louisville or Florida could give them a run. They are 7 point favorites @ Duke this weekend... as clear a sign as any that FSU is nowhere near a playoff caliber team.

GT has the best O Miami will have faced to date. Miami has the best O and D we will have faced. I agree this game is a good test and probably the best barometer for both teams thus far. I don't know what we have yet and am looking forward to finding out.

Stony157

Georgia Tech Fan
Is there any circumstance following the game Saturday where Miami fans will admit GT was the better team? Or do you think the excuses have already been too ingrained? I don't see much difference in the teams, and there wasn't much separating them last year either.

Oh, sure. Miami fans are a strange bunch, though. Most are pretty decent, but there is a substantial and vocal minority who are just obnoxious, unreasonable, unlikeable and ornery. If Tech wins, it depends how the game went. There are a group of fans that will gripe about the officiating, win or lose. They always do. I saw both FSU and Miami fans complain about the officiating Saturday. Most of them have a very healthy respect for Tech, although many hate the offense. It's just a very tough offense to defend. And most Miami fans say the primary reason Miami won last year was the turnovers. I think that is a key this year, too and every time Tech plays. But they have no trouble complaining about Miami not playing well when they lose.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Great post.

# # #
I live in Coral Gables so I get my share of overload on Miami, but need to add a couple of things in your comments here.

Miami has about 3-4 tall receivers 6'3" to 6'5", all of whom are not much different in skill level, only experience, so there's plenty of challenge there if they have to run them into the game. It seems to be the way Richt is building the team and there are lots of high caliber skill players here in South Florida.

The other is Miami still has better talent than Tech. If I remember the numbers in the graphic I saw a couple of weeks ago correctly, Miami is the #1 team since 2000 putting first round draft choices into the NFL with 40. Ohio State is 2nd with 38 and Alabama is 3rd. And Miami has 3rd most players in the NFL still, even after all these years. The last 15 years, they've had terrible coaching which is why they've been mediocre. Richt looks like he's turning it around so this year would be the year to take them before they get better as it appears from down here.

All that said, they've played with a lot of mistakes partly because of their youth and partly because of past recruiting which isn't as good as their current classes are starting to show. Mayb we can take advantage of their injuries and mistakes.
I'm missing something. You're a Miami fan right? Yet, you say "we" can take advantage of their injuries and mistakes.
Second, it usually comes down to blocking and tackling, not injuries and mistakes (with some exceptions, Tennessee). I think there's a very good possibility we beat Miami because we block the dog-pee out of them and dominate their guys up front. And, I'm hopeful, though not yet to the point of expecting, that we will also tackle the dog-pee out of them and stone their offense.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Duke is about the same level as UNC (that game was played even and the score turned on a pick six at the end), so I give them about as much credit for that win as I do ours over the Tarheels. We dominated the game much more than they did, although UNC being injured probably helped a bit. I think GT and Miami have looked pretty close so far and I see no reason we should fear them.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who sees Miami as a top 11 team right now? This is by far our toughest game to date and will be our 3rd toughest game over all. If we sneak out of this one with a win that says big things. A loss here is not the end of the season for us either. They are a great team right now and have a coach that has had our number for years.

I am not making excuses or anything but lets be realistic. Were going to Miami to play a great team. They are a deeper team than we have faced and most talented by far.

GO Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who sees Miami as a top 11 team right now? This is by far our toughest game to date and will be our 3rd toughest game over all. If we sneak out of this one with a win that says big things. A loss here is not the end of the season for us either. They are a great team right now and have a coach that has had our number for years.

I am not making excuses or anything but lets be realistic. Were going to Miami to play a great team. They are a deeper team than we have faced and most talented by far.

GO Jackets!
If we can play keep away, not turn it over, and score at least 28 points, I think we win.