GT (+10.5) at Miami

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
After watching Miami against Duke and FSU, I would be surprised if we can't run against their defense, the weather and ball security is the worry.
The QB is good, but looks to be inconsistent to me and they just lost their best RB ...
Maybe I'm not paying close attention, but I'm missing all the hype that warrants a #10 ranking ...

shwarma

Banned
Just tryna have a lil fun.
After watching Miami against Duke and FSU, I would be surprised if we can't run against their defense, the weather and ball security is the worry.
The QB is good, but looks to be inconsistent to me and they just lost their best RB ...
Maybe I'm not paying close attention, but I'm missing all the hype that warrants a #10 ranking ...

I could say the same thing about Ohio State. With their one loss being to a team who just lost to Iowa State.. Def think we should be ranked higher, but their defense kept duke from scoring a td, and completely shut them out in the second half.

They are not the 10th best team, not even the 30th best team. Traditional reputation plays a part, and they are undefeated. They've beat Bethune Cookman, Duke, Toledo, and FSU ---a group with a composite record of a sterling 11-9. Take out Toledo and the record is 7-8.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think we match up fairly well on D with Berrios....their tall WR might give us a headache with jump balls.

ThugU does not have more athletes than us anymore. Should be a good game. I think we come home with a W.
Here's the real issue.
They may try long passes VERSES the dump passes our old defense suckered people into.

Last year conservative passing attack by Miami worked so well that at one point they had scored 14 point's on offense and we had scored 21. With the two defense scores they were up 28 to 21. Before we scored our last points on long drive they had twice gone 3 and out with missed but contested short dump passss. After our kick off 2 short plays to about the 40, and then they went to longer passes.
One play of approx 30 YDS to our 31.

Then right in front of gt bench the w r ran a very deep post route ( we had the sideline fly pass covered) to be wide open for 30 yds into endzone.

60 yds in 2 plays.

No pass rush and they went long - corner turned around by double move

With 5 to go in 3 rd that was final score in game. Don't remember any long passes after that while we trade d possssions. In second half the gt offense had the ball 6 times for 180 yds with lots of 3/4 and out.

We are way better now at pass rush and coverage, but could get beat deep on a good pass. . At least it will be contested and if bad pass intercepted.
Also our offense is stronger as game goes on.

I believe!

Stony157

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we match up fairly well on D with Berrios....their tall WR might give us a headache with jump balls.

ThugU does not have more athletes than us anymore. Should be a good game. I think we come home with a W.
# # #
I live in Coral Gables so I get my share of overload on Miami, but need to add a couple of things in your comments here.

Miami has about 3-4 tall receivers 6'3" to 6'5", all of whom are not much different in skill level, only experience, so there's plenty of challenge there if they have to run them into the game. It seems to be the way Richt is building the team and there are lots of high caliber skill players here in South Florida.

The other is Miami still has better talent than Tech. If I remember the numbers in the graphic I saw a couple of weeks ago correctly, Miami is the #1 team since 2000 putting first round draft choices into the NFL with 40. Ohio State is 2nd with 38 and Alabama is 3rd. And Miami has 3rd most players in the NFL still, even after all these years. The last 15 years, they've had terrible coaching which is why they've been mediocre. Richt looks like he's turning it around so this year would be the year to take them before they get better as it appears from down here.

All that said, they've played with a lot of mistakes partly because of their youth and partly because of past recruiting which isn't as good as their current classes are starting to show. Mayb we can take advantage of their injuries and mistakes.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Miami should be favored to win. Rozier should scare us, as should their WR's. There's a very real possibility they go up and down the field on us.

That said, there's the very real possibility we go up and down the field on them, as well.

I expect us to lose, but will not be at all surprised if we win, even convincingly.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
# # #
I live in Coral Gables so I get my share of overload on Miami, but need to add a couple of things in your comments here.

Miami has about 3-4 tall receivers 6'3" to 6'5", all of whom are not much different in skill level, only experience, so there's plenty of challenge there if they have to run them into the game. It seems to be the way Richt is building the team and there are lots of high caliber skill players here in South Florida.

The other is Miami still has better talent than Tech. If I remember the numbers in the graphic I saw a couple of weeks ago correctly, Miami is the #1 team since 2000 putting first round draft choices into the NFL with 40. Ohio State is 2nd with 38 and Alabama is 3rd. And Miami has 3rd most players in the NFL still, even after all these years. The last 15 years, they've had terrible coaching which is why they've been mediocre. Richt looks like he's turning it around so this year would be the year to take them before they get better as it appears from down here.

All that said, they've played with a lot of mistakes partly because of their youth and partly because of past recruiting which isn't as good as their current classes are starting to show. Mayb we can take advantage of their injuries and mistakes.
Welcome to the board.
Good data about their tall receivers.
Last year at miami game I had a sideline pass where I noticed their w r size height and build.

Deleted member 2897

# # #

Well all that is true except for Richt turning things around. At one point last season, they lost 4 straight games.

What should really put the fear of God in everyone is this year's recruiting class. They already have almost 20 recruits, and the only ones who aren't at least 4 stars are the Kicker, and 2 guys who are 0.1 point away from being a 4*. I mean, it is crazy stacked. 16 of the 19 from Florida.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Richt is doing for Miami what he did at Georgia. There may never be a year when Tech's team has as much talent as Miami but character is a huge factor as well. If Tech can continue to recruit at the level of the past few classes while getting high character players, then they will beat some of the teams that are superior on paper. I think this is one of those years.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
# # #

I'm talking about this year. Not which program has more players in the league.

Look by position groups. You telling me dahU has better receiving threats than our WRs and ABacks? Mmmmm not seeing it.

You think they have better running backs....not seeing it.

You think their QB is better than ours? Wrong again if so.

Now is their D better? Maybe....but I think we will run all over their butts and overcome the majority of negative plays they do make.

We just can't afford to lose the turnover battle or get vastly outplayed on special teams.

Stony157

Georgia Tech Fan
Richt is doing for Miami what he did at Georgia. There may never be a year when Tech's team has as much talent as Miami but character is a huge factor as well. If Tech can continue to recruit at the level of the past few classes while getting high character players, then they will beat some of the teams that are superior on paper. I think this is one of those years.

I don't know what Richt did at Georgia because I never really followed him or them...or cared. As for character, the Canes aren't the "character" guys of the old Canes. Miami tied with Stanford and one other school, which I can't remember, for graduating 100% of their players in the last report I saw. They've got an excellent academic support group. And Miami was the number one school in the country for community service hours going into elementary schools and hospitals visiting kids. Richt has been recruiting high character young men. I know Miami's old reputation for rowdiness will never be forgotten by many, but it's pretty remarkable that what's essentially a small, private, expensive medical school in a wealthy, residential area even has a football team, let alone one that's won a lot from time to time. I'm not trying to convince anyone that they don't have flaws, just that the reputation many have of the school is not accurate.

I'm just glad that the relations between the fans of the two schools is pretty good for the most part. In this sport, there are always some less than civil folks. Best to you!