GT (+10.5) at Miami

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
As of late, as in the last decade?
We have crapped the bed at Miami since 2009, they’ve beaten us by a minimum of 14 points each time over the last eight years. So yep, anyone thinking we are going to dominate UM or is expecting a win is a wee bit off base and odds are we will be disappointed come Sat night as we get knocked out of Coastal race.

BUT I Hope that’s wrong in a BIGLY way....TQM seems truly special and if we really do have our OL back healthy then maybe this is the year CPJ gets the Miami monkey off his back. I’m tired of losing to Canes and Richt, but until we can actually break through and beat our Nemisis at their place then I’m expecting us to lose by at least two TD’s on Sat, while I would love nothing more than to be dead wrong .....we shall see!

You should really consider changing your handle to MountBIGLY (y)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think we match up fairly well on D with Berrios....their tall WR might give us a headache with jump balls.

ThugU does not have more athletes than us anymore. Should be a good game. I think we come home with a W.

Deleted member 2897

Idk guys im still disappointed about losing to tennessee. Damn shame

Well, here is what I tell myself. It was a first game, so at the end of the season, it literally won't matter. If we run the table the rest of the way, we still get into the CFP because of our strength of schedule and being 11-1. If we lose just a couple times and finish 9-3 or 8-3 (depending on if we make the ACCCG), that's still going to be worthy of a high ranking. By that point if we finish ranked #13 or #18 it won't really matter that much. In my mind there are only 2 ways Tennessee will end up mattering.

First, Tennessee will matter if we don't get to 6 wins. But honestly, missing the UCF game, that means we'd be 5-6. I don't know if we'd petition for an exception for a bowl game. But either way, we will have had a lot more issues than the Tennessee game if that happens.

Second, if we lose in the ACCCG and that's only our 2nd loss. If that happens, we're likely out of the CFP, because we'd be 10-2 and there would likely be too many 1 loss teams. Whereas if that would have been our first loss and we were then 11-1, you could still argue for getting in, because that would mean we would have beat TN, Miami, Virginia Tech, Clemson, georgia, etc.

Both of those scenarios to me are highly unlikely, so I've moved past the Tennessee game. Besides, we beat the ever living dog snot out of them anyway. That will help with rankings and what not when people see the statistical imbalance, the 1 point loss, and that we did that by going for 2 on the last play.

Jmonty71

Banned
Well, here is what I tell myself. It was a first game, so at the end of the season, it literally won't matter. If we run the table the rest of the way, we still get into the CFP because of our strength of schedule and being 11-1. If we lose just a couple times and finish 9-3 or 8-3 (depending on if we make the ACCCG), that's still going to be worthy of a high ranking. By that point if we finish ranked #13 or #18 it won't really matter that much. In my mind there are only 2 ways Tennessee will end up mattering.

First, Tennessee will matter if we don't get to 6 wins. But honestly, missing the UCF game, that means we'd be 5-6. I don't know if we'd petition for an exception for a bowl game. But either way, we will have had a lot more issues than the Tennessee game if that happens.

Second, if we lose in the ACCCG and that's only our 2nd loss. If that happens, we're likely out of the CFP, because we'd be 10-2 and there would likely be too many 1 loss teams. Whereas if that would have been our first loss and we were then 11-1, you could still argue for getting in, because that would mean we would have beat TN, Miami, Virginia Tech, Clemson, georgia, etc.

Both of those scenarios to me are highly unlikely, so I've moved past the Tennessee game. Besides, we beat the ever living dog snot out of them anyway. That will help with rankings and what not when people see the statistical imbalance, the 1 point loss, and that we did that by going for 2 on the last play.
I disagree. While it would be a great problem, to have. I don't foresee a one loss GT team getting invited into the CFP. Again, it depends on how other teams do the rest of the season. I think a one loss Oklahoma or Michigan gets the nod over us. Bama is given... If Ugag loses to just us and beats Bama, I still think a one loss Bama gets in. Again... It would be a great issue to have. But, I feel that an ACC team has to be undefeated to be invited to the CFP.

shwarma

Banned
Seems like richt has had our number for quite a few years. We are 2-7 against Miami. 1-2 against Shannon. 0-1 against Richt (at Miami), and 1-3 against Golden. I mean, 1-3 against Golden is pretty bad dude. And, 0-1 against Scott? CPJ was 2-5 against Richt when Richt was at UGA, so 2-6 against Richt overall.

Deleted member 2897

I disagree. While it would be a great problem, to have. I don't foresee a one loss GT team getting invited into the CFP. Again, it depends on how other teams do the rest of the season. I think a one loss Oklahoma or Michigan gets the nod over us. Bama is given... If Ugag loses to just us and beats Bama, I still think a one loss Bama gets in. Again... It would be a great issue to have. But, I feel that an ACC team has to be undefeated to be invited to the CFP.

Well think about what it would take to get there. We are already ranked 26th. We have to beat #11 Miami on the road. Then we have to beat #2 Clemson on the road. Then we have to beat #15 Virginia Tech. Then we have to beat #4 georgia. Then we have to beat probably still top 5 Clemson (if we beat them the first time, they'd drop a bit) again in the ACCCG. If we beat all those teams, we would absolutely be in the top 4 in the country. 3 wins against Top 5 teams? 5 wins against Top 15 teams? We have the single toughest strength of schedule from here on out. If we have the toughest schedule, and we win out, you're in. That's the 'benefit' of losing early. If georgia stays undefeated and plays Alabama in the SEC Championship and we're 1-defeated, we'd be ranked just behind those teams...and then 1 of them has to lose so we would move up. We would keep moving up each week and passing everyone else. Now, that's not going to happen :) but I don't see any way we are left out if that happens because if a team ahead of us loses and we win, we HAVE to pass them.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Our goal has not changed and is viable as ever. Is still "Start in the Dome, Finish in the Dome". Tough part of meeting that goal continues today as our Jackets work hard this week, knowing it is the will to practice hard and focused that leads to wins on the grid iron. Go Jackets!! Beat the 'Canes!! THWG!!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I believe we will learn a lot about the 2017 version of GT football in this game.

If our D is actually as concerning as I believe it is, we will have to "outscore" the convicts to win, as I believe their QB will sling the ball all over the field against us. We might have difficulty doing this, as I believe their D is formidable, and if their O scores points, it will keep their D motivated.

If our D is actually better than I believe it is, we could win this game easily, especially if their D decides "no mas" like Tennessee's did in the 2nd half this year against us.

Either way, we learn a lot on Saturday. If I was a betting guy, I would not touch this game with a 10 foot pole.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Seems like richt has had our number for quite a few years. We are 2-7 against Miami. 1-2 against Shannon. 0-1 against Richt (at Miami), and 1-3 against Golden. I mean, 1-3 against Golden is pretty bad dude. And, 0-1 against Scott? CPJ was 2-5 against Richt when Richt was at UGA, so 2-6 against Richt overall.

Be better at trolling. Member since 1 hour ago crapping on our chances because of past records...come on dude. What GT fan even remembers that Larry Scott exists?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Even after beating Clem x2, the mutts, da U and VT???

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Need to pressure QB Rosier and contain. Berrios #8 was guy that broke FSU back. Need to double team their hot receiver. I like Patriot approach. Double team with #2 DB and a 2nd DB leaving #1 DB avail. Need to stop or hold in check their quick slants.

Don't like the weather forecast. In the old days rain favored running game, not sure that is true in this era.

Jmonty71

Banned
Well think about what it would take to get there. We are already ranked 26th. We have to beat #11 Miami on the road. Then we have to beat #2 Clemson on the road. Then we have to beat #15 Virginia Tech. Then we have to beat #4 georgia. Then we have to beat probably still top 5 Clemson (if we beat them the first time, they'd drop a bit) again in the ACCCG. If we beat all those teams, we would absolutely be in the top 4 in the country. 3 wins against Top 5 teams? 5 wins against Top 15 teams? We have the single toughest strength of schedule from here on out. If we have the toughest schedule, and we win out, you're in. That's the 'benefit' of losing early. If georgia stays undefeated and plays Alabama in the SEC Championship and we're 1-defeated, we'd be ranked just behind those teams...and then 1 of them has to lose so we would move up. We would keep moving up each week and passing everyone else. Now, that's not going to happen :) but I don't see any way we are left out if that happens because if a team ahead of us loses and we win, we HAVE to pass them.
I'm a firm believer that bowl selections are based on a team's popularity and fan base. Those that are more popular and have larger fan bases, tend to get better bowls. When it all comes down to it, it's about money. Face it, GT does not have the fan base a Oklahoma, Bama, Ugag and such have. Again... It would be an awesome problem to have.

shwarma

Banned
Need to pressure QB Rosier and contain. Berrios #8 was guy that broke FSU back. Need to double team their hot receiver. I like Patriot approach. Double team with #2 DB and a 2nd DB leaving #1 DB avail. Need to stop or hold in check their quick slants.

Don't like the weather forecast. In the old days rain favored running game, not sure that is true in this era.

Double team berrios and not richards?

Deleted member 2897

If we are going to discredit miami after losing to fsu. Idk where that would put us after losing to tenn.

OK I'm going to start keeping a tally of positive posts from you versus negative. So far its a shutout.