Game 7 Media Notre Dame vs. Georgia Tech

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Collins has been blocking people on Twitter who are questioning the state of the program and he seems like he really can't take criticism without getting all fire and brimstone on everyone's *** like it's remember the titans or some ****. I really don't like it, and I'm significantly younger than Collins. Unless we pull out some miracle season within the next 2-3 years he might implode from people questioning him.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Collins has been blocking people on Twitter who are questioning the state of the program and he seems like he really can't take criticism without getting all fire and brimstone on everyone's *** like it's remember the titans or some ****. I really don't like it, and I'm significantly younger than Collins. Unless we pull out some miracle season within the next 2-3 years he might implode from people questioning him.

Agreed. His last line of this quote bothers me:

“There’s a lot of people that want to tear you down,” he said. “There’s a lot of people that want to build you up. There’s a lot of people that want to be in your corner. There’s a lot of people don’t want to turn their back on you. And I keep score, too.

That being said, I do feel he is being unfairly roasted for the current state of this program. We knew it was going to be painful moving on from the TO so we shouldn't be shocked at the results so far. There are indications of improvement, but it's going to take time.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer

“There’s a lot of people that want to tear you down,” he said. “There’s a lot of people that want to build you up. There’s a lot of people that want to be in your corner. There’s a lot of people don’t want to turn their back on you. And I keep score, too.

That being said, I do feel he is being unfairly roasted for the current state of this program. We knew it was going to be painful moving on from the TO so we shouldn't be shocked at the results so far. There are indications of improvement, but it's going to take time.
"I keep score too" lmao sounds like a 20 year old. It's such a bad look. I suppose he should get some slack but on the other hand he also knew what he signed up for. If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer

That might (and I emphasize, might) be a fair statement about the offense, but you can't use the same excuse for the deteriorating level of the defense

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Since some of you respond to toughness, here are my words for you: Shut the hell up.
everyone has their opinion some want to see a coach who jumps up and yells at a player who makes a mistake some like you I guess are happy to see a coach spread love. I want to see one who is in the middle can show love but can also be a hard a*s if it calls for it. But to tell people to Shut the hell up you don't seem to be practicing what you are trying to preach. Every player is different and a good coach understands that and will coach them different. Time will tell if CGC will make it the problem is how much time will it take , 3 years , 4 years , 5 years or more. As for him being nominated for the Broyles award great it helped him get the job but really doesn't mean anything now.

Milwaukee

Banned

That was actually my favorite part.
**** the haters.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Read the three things written directly before the bold again. Unless that is miswritten, he is literally saying that there are a lot of people who are being supportive and he's taking note of them.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I listened to the entire press conference. I do hope Collins succeeds, but here is some food for thought:

Collins is a motivational speaker - his glass is not just half full, but all the way full always. Good for him. You need that in a leader, but ...

He said the game against BC came down to 6 plays. Wow! So, that tells me that he doesn't see anything wrong with our D at all. He didn't speak about missed tackles, which I think we all know is a BIG problem.

Special Teams - it's ironic that the first thing he looks at from the other team is the PAT/FG defense and KO. You'd think if it's that important to him, we'd be better at it. I think my definition of "ridiculously high level" and his are not the same. He said we are fast and play passionately and therefore successful. I consider tackling someone before mid-field as successful. I consider blocking their line and getting a PAT or FG through the uprights rather than blocked successful.

I'm all for loving the kids and developing them as young men. It's what I loved about CPJ - they are just different approaches. I'm all for not embarrassing a kid on the sideline for a mistake, but ...there is a way to get your point across. Mistakes have consequences. If a player commits an unneccesary personal foul AFTER the play, you can choose not to chew him out, but you can say "hey, that was a mistake. I still love you, but you know you have to sit out for X amount of time." or whatever...You can't just say, "oh, I love you - great job" and not correct the mistake. Maybe he is doing that, but we certainlly aren't seeing any evidence of changed behavior.

I'm a believer in process in life over results, but this is a competitive game you chose to coach. At some points, results do matter.
No, part of his job as a coach is to get the players to believe. He can't stand up there and say we are undersized, we're injured, we had some guys leave the team, and we generally just suck right now. Players would quit on him in a heartbeat. That might make you feel like he's aware of the status of our defense but some of you guys would just twist that into he's making excuses.

Most of us here are smart. If we put emotion aside and look at what he inherited, what he is transforming, the fact he missed spring practice in year 2, the guys that have been hurt/quit, it's reasonable to expect us to struggle big time this year. The last 2 games scores have been worse than they should have been but so what **** happens. Any reasonable person knows he wasn't going to take an undersized team with a lack of talent and start winning big time games in year 2. It takes 3-4 years to recruit talent.

And yes, I'm aware of some of the mistakes being made that any player shouldn't be making like silly penalties. No one here is claiming Collins is perfect. But overall, he's done a damn good job moving us out of the triple option crap and the vision of this program is headed in the right direction. I still think most of the divisiveness are fan Paul Johnson guys that want to see Collins fail.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know Quinlan at all but he and Collins have a relationship back to the 2000's, right? I don't think Quinlan had his feelings hurt and I don't think Collins was attacking him. I think Collins was showing his passion for his program, his players, and his vision in his answer to quinlan.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I think honestly what we're seeing is a disconnect from fans / media and coach on what the expectations during year 2 of a rebuild are.
Maybe we were spoiled with cpj or maybe not .
Most of us what to see improvement at game time or good wins. Coach on the other hand seems to have different expectations or seems to convey that we should all lower our expectations a bit. Maybe I'm wrong on that

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
everyone has their opinion some want to see a coach who jumps up and yells at a player who makes a mistake some like you I guess are happy to see a coach spread love. I want to see one who is in the middle can show love but can also be a hard a*s if it calls for it. But to tell people to Shut the hell up you don't seem to be practicing what you are trying to preach. Every player is different and a good coach understands that and will coach them different. Time will tell if CGC will make it the problem is how much time will it take , 3 years , 4 years , 5 years or more. As for him being nominated for the Broyles award great it helped him get the job but really doesn't mean anything now.
He addressed that yesterday. He said they coach them hard in practice but he sees no point in embarrassing them on tv in the middle of the game. It doesn’t make them play better and goes against what he believes.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I don’t care if KQ gets his feelings hurt by Collins. KQ isn’t influential enough to do any damage, notice how Collins didn’t go at Marty Smith like that. Collins isn’t stupid.
So that makes it ok to be an ******* when you get pressured just because someone is a smaller journalist...? These were all 100% valid questions.

That might (and I emphasize, might) be a fair statement about the offense, but you can't use the same excuse for the deteriorating level of the defense
Question:

When CGC took the GT job. how many interior DLs did we have that were at least 6-3 295lbs (min size to be a serious P5 DL)?

How many were at least 6-4 315lbs, the ideal size that winning Teams have?

How many were at least 6-4 330+lbs, the kind of guys that Bama-Clemson-Ohio State-LSU-Florida-UGA have at least 2 deep and can rotate?

How many LBers did CGC inherit that can consistently run under a 4.7 that are at least 6-3 230lbs?

When CGC walked in we had 0 TEs on scholly, we need at least 4

When CGC walked in we had about 6 A-backs on scholly that had no defined position in a "modern CFB Offense"?

When CGC walked in we had ZERO OLs that were tall & long with long arms for Pass-Pro as their primary job, it takes about 3 full Recruiting classes just to get the Depth Chart at TE & OL up to a respectable level

Of course we can find individuals at TE & OLine, but to have a depth chart at those slots takes times, guys get banged up, we need to be able to rotate snaps to keep guys fresh, the avg. NFL Game is 60-70 snaps from each team, in college it's trending towards 90 snaps & up due to clocks being stopped more frequently & longer gms

I hate blowouts and poor discipline and poor mental focus on gamedays, but this was the most monumental transition in the history of organized FB

To top it all off GT refused to ""process & roster Mgmt" like Programs that are serious about winning do, the reason I'm in favor of that at GT is, even if we do process & Roster Mgmt like everyone else, the player will still get a Free College Degree

I hear Fans talk about Satterfield at Louisville, the 1st thing he did after becoming the HC was to release all Recruits that had offers from the Cards (11- to 14 IIRC), and then he culled the bottom 10-12 guys off of the Roster, if he made those demands on our Athl Dept, we never would've hired him

I hate blowouts, I hate mental mistakes, but given all the "things" that CGC has to accept as GT's HC, I'm not surprised we are where we are, I'm with him for 3 more seasons, but the PLAYERS have to man the eff up and care about winning