Game 7 Media Notre Dame vs. Georgia Tech

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what the appeal of screaming at 18-19 year old kids is. Does it actually work?

There are situations where it can be useful. For practice it's a good way to prevent lack of effort or lack of attention to detail. For games it can be used to make it clear that some things are just 100% completely unacceptable (and no, that doesn't include turnovers). I'm talking things like Attaochu throwing a forearm at the VT QB, or that miami WR squirting the UL WR (or maybe it was a UGA WR and someone I dunno). It can be useful for things like that, but it's generally not a tool used to fix mistakes like not recognizing a DB dropped or confusing coverage or taking a bad angle.

The are other things to consider like is that type of behavior only ever is effective if it is consistent with the coach's general style. No matter how the coach approaches the game, if he has to fake something, the players will pick up on it, and it will lose it's effectiveness. If CPJ suddenly went and tried to hype up a player with platitudes and build him up that way it wouldn't have the same effect as if Collins does it.

It also depends on the player. There are occasionally guys who certain coaches have a good enough relationship with that also have the mentality of being able to use anger in the right away. It's not as common as people think though and it's not always about motivation. Players can often make bad decisions while angry and even if it sparks them to fix one problem it can lead to others.

So in short, no, not really. When it does it is usually more effective in practice.

Nemo951

Georgia Tech Fan
There are situations where it can be useful. For practice it's a good way to prevent lack of effort or lack of attention to detail. For games it can be used to make it clear that some things are just 100% completely unacceptable (and no, that doesn't include turnovers). I'm talking things like Attaochu throwing a forearm at the VT QB, or that miami WR squirting the UL WR (or maybe it was a UGA WR and someone I dunno). It can be useful for things like that, but it's generally not a tool used to fix mistakes like not recognizing a DB dropped or confusing coverage or taking a bad angle.

The are other things to consider like is that type of behavior only ever is effective if it is consistent with the coach's general style. No matter how the coach approaches the game, if he has to fake something, the players will pick up on it, and it will lose it's effectiveness. If CPJ suddenly went and tried to hype up a player with platitudes and build him up that way it wouldn't have the same effect as if Collins does it.

It also depends on the player. There are occasionally guys who certain coaches have a good enough relationship with that also have the mentality of being able to use anger in the right away. It's not as common as people think though and it's not always about motivation. Players can often make bad decisions while angry and even if it sparks them to fix one problem it can lead to others.

So in short, no, not really. When it does it is usually more effective in practice.
Great response. Thanks

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
LOL....you acknowledge the player when they did a good job and you punish the player that continues to not do their job. I had a coach that would grab a face mask and pull the player straight to his face...and that was 8th grade. One year we ended up tying a team and our coach was so mad at us we ran sprints before and after 3 practices. The day before the game he said you will do it again this week if we don't win and not only that but on offense you better score a touch down on the first play. We ran the veer. On the first offensive play our fullback took it 65 yards for a TD.
EXACTLY how it should be.

WORK

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
😂🤣😂🤣 Collins saying those practices are the most intense in the nation? Well something must not be working! Maybe tone it down?

Either way. Whatever they are doing is wrong. Because it doesn't even make us competitive the first series of the game.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wow, so, so defensive. I continue to think this won't end well.

The way he gave the business to Kelly, he definitely could give the business to players if necessary.

Kelly should have come back and asked him if he disagrees with the other successful coaches he mentioned in their actions with players. I really don't believe his treatment of Kelly was fully warranted. Kelly asks questions that are pretty timid.

Last edited:

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow, so, so defensive. I continue to think this won't end well.

The way he gave the business to Kelly, he definitely could give the business to players if necessary.

Kelly should have come back and asked him if he disagrees with the other successful coaches he mentioned in their actions with players. I really don't believe his treatment of Kelly was fully warranted. Kelly asks questions that are pretty timid.

Y’all really think Kelly’s feelings were hurt by this? Or that he felt attacked?

Kelly asked a question. Collins answered it. Simple as that.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I thought y’all said the last coach was a **** to the media and that hurt the program and this guy would be different?
It's almost like the board is filled with a mix of people and some appreciate some things, while others appreciate others. As with the rest of the internet, the loudest contingent is typically negative. I personally like how passionate he was in that interview.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Y’all really think Kelly’s feelings were hurt by this? Or that he felt attacked?

Kelly asked a question. Collins answered it. Simple as that.

No, I sure hope his feelings weren't hurt. But, Geoff was very, very defensive over a very timid question. And, I do not agree with his take on how to deal with 18-22 year olds. But, he will either be successful "his way" or he will hit the highway. So, I am willing to watch and hope I am wrong, so that GT can have success we haven't seen since 1990.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
No, I sure hope his feelings weren't hurt. But, Geoff was very, very defensive over a very timid question. And, I do not agree with his take on how to deal with 18-22 year olds. But, he will either be successful "his way" or he will hit the highway. So, I am willing to watch and hope I am wrong, so that GT can have success we haven't seen since 1990.
He is the head coach and needs to answer hard questions. ( although I didn't see it as a hard question ) I was fine with his answer and I was fine with the question. But after the last 2 games and the way the defense looked I still think he needs to answer harder questions .
Ex. Coach why on defense are there still so many miss tackles and players doing the wrong thing. Follow up question what can you do to help stop it.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I think expressing anger in the moment of the game is important. Let your players that type of play isn't acceptable. Nip it in the bud.

They do everything behind closed doors.

Think we found out why we do much better in the 2nd half on defense Collins and Thacker are closet screamers to spare the players from "embarrassment". Well news flash once you're down 30 points at half its a little too late!

Scream and yell and hit them after the first blown coverage! Heads gotta roll. Id sit guys immediately if they didn't know their assignment. Competition is king right? Well if you don't know the assignment on defense then the guy behind you better. You make an example out of the 1st string so that you darn make sure the 2nd string doesn't make the same mistake.

Honestly in a great program being 1st string should be an honor but also a ton of responsibility because you know if you mess up you will be embarrassed to no end. Its not enough for cocky kids to say "my bad bruh". Nah, your made out as an example. If the next guy that comes in and makes the same mistake their will be hell to pay.

These are MEN not 6 year old children that will cry because they got a stern talking to. If the kids in the program and in today's world are that mentally weak we have more problems than we ever could imagine.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
It's almost like the board is filled with a mix of people and some appreciate some things, while others appreciate others. As with the rest of the internet, the loudest contingent is typically negative. I personally like how passionate he was in that interview.
Dude, PJ had a few of these per presser, and I loved him for it.
People wanted some fire, well here it is.