Game 7 Media Notre Dame vs. Georgia Tech

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Most coaches are not good at communications which is why the the AD supplies them with communications directors. These guys should be preparing briefing docs and coaching Geoff on what to say.
This is a pretty crazy thing to be OK with. Most leaders are bad at communication :oops:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Most coaches are not good at communications which is why the the AD supplies them with communications directors. These guys should be preparing briefing docs and coaching Geoff on what to say.

It could be as simple as ... “We had a tough game. We want to win them all, but we aren’t focused on that today. We’re focused on ...

... growth

... player development

... and recruiting (As it stands right now, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets have the 20th ranked recruiting class in the nation (Rivals). It would be the first time since 2007 that Tech hauled in a top 25 class.)

He should tie every question back to these priorities (he said these were the priorities) and remind everyone of where he is in the whole process.

And he should stop lecturing. Not an attractive look. Keep it simple, organized, and tied back to the process.
Where did you get #20? I could be wrong, but this is what I found at Rivals:

1603919719721.png

slugboy

Staff member
In relation to Collins catching questions about the transition at the press conference, here’s a contrast with Mike Leach:

He’s less than one year in the job. MissSt has gone to 10 years of bowl games in a row. They’ve had higher rated recruiting classes than us most if not all of that 10 years. The honeymoon may be over in Starkville (though some fans think this is an overdue house-cleaning). In theory, they shouldn’t have a tough transition, aside from a coach who has had tough transitions. Leach seems to expect massive transfers. We have a thread where people were wondering if we could have had him instead of Collins.

GTFLETCH

Banned
He also said that Tobias Oliver is an elite CB. I'm not at all trying to tear down Tobias...I think he has been adjusting and playing well, but if he's an elite corner then he should be on the damn field on every defensive play based on what has been happening the past few weeks.
100% agree with you....Start Tobias

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s clear some of y’all never played a sport at a high level (or even HS for that matter).

It’s also clear that a lot of you got yelled at by your dad and it made you mad. In turn you believe that it would fire a player up and make them play better. You think that’s the only way to motivate a player to be better.

Someone said it earlier, but the only time I think you should yell at a player on the sideline of a game is when they get a personal foul for doing something late or cheap and/or if they are blatantly disrespectful when you’re trying to coach them up.

To the joker earlier that said he’d yank someone the first time they blew a coverage, good luck fielding a team. Nobody would play for you. Pretty sure you’re one of the two guys who said Gibbs should transfer in the game chat. Doubt anyone will take you seriously anyways, but thought I’d point out the ridiculousness of that statement.

fter people in practice, you re-rep something when it’s messed up, and if you really need to get after somebody for repeated mistakes, you do it privately first.

When the game comes around you want guys playing fast and having fun. If you chew them out anytime they make a mistake you lose them. If someone continues to make the same mistake, you pull them. They know they messed up, everyone watching knows they messed up. They don’t need a coach to embarrass them in front of the whole world watching to tell them they messed up.

I do think Collins should have a shorter leash. Especially with some of the older guys on the defensive side of the ball that are making mistakes and playing poorly. But him yelling at someone on the sidelines isn’t going to help anything.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
The people in GT love it. The players love it. The ex players love it. Kelly & Collins are fine as is the rest of the media. If anything it’s making the buy in stronger. I suggest people get behind the coach and figure out ways to strengthen him instead of the whiny crybabying. He’s not going anywhere for awhile.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
The people in GT love it. The players love it. The ex players love it. Kelly & Collins are fine as is the rest of the media. If anything it’s making the buy in stronger. I suggest people get behind the coach and figure out ways to strengthen him instead of the whiny crybabying. He’s not going anywhere for awhile.

But....SWATlien....how are we gonna know who the really TOUGH and MACHO fonts are around here unless they tell us about how much they've been yelled at and regale us of tales of their management career and try to equate that to being a head coach at a P5 program? HOW? It's important.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I certainly didn’t watch him enough to grade out his total performance, but I will say that was a nice violent tackle they highlighted him with during the game.
Swilling and Walton are both better corners, but I would like to see him get snaps at safety/nickel.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
But....SWATlien....how are we gonna know who the really TOUGH and MACHO fonts are around here unless they tell us about how much they've been yelled at and regale us of tales of their management career and try to equate that to being a head coach at a P5 program? HOW? It's important.

Just curious. How old are you? Not making any judgments ... just curious.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s clear some of y’all never played a sport at a high level (or even HS for that matter).

It’s also clear that a lot of you got yelled at by your dad and it made you mad. In turn you believe that it would fire a player up and make them play better. You think that’s the only way to motivate a player to be better.

Someone said it earlier, but the only time I think you should yell at a player on the sideline of a game is when they get a personal foul for doing something late or cheap and/or if they are blatantly disrespectful when you’re trying to coach them up.

To the joker earlier that said he’d yank someone the first time they blew a coverage, good luck fielding a team. Nobody would play for you. Pretty sure you’re one of the two guys who said Gibbs should transfer in the game chat. Doubt anyone will take you seriously anyways, but thought I’d point out the ridiculousness of that statement.

fter people in practice, you re-rep something when it’s messed up, and if you really need to get after somebody for repeated mistakes, you do it privately first.

When the game comes around you want guys playing fast and having fun. If you chew them out anytime they make a mistake you lose them. If someone continues to make the same mistake, you pull them. They know they messed up, everyone watching knows they messed up. They don’t need a coach to embarrass them in front of the whole world watching to tell them they messed up.

I do think Collins should have a shorter leash. Especially with some of the older guys on the defensive side of the ball that are making mistakes and playing poorly. But him yelling at someone on the sidelines isn’t going to help anything.
This 💯!

Apparently most of you arguing that Collins is all sunshine and rainbows with his players didn't actually listen to the press conference. Collins said that he doesn't publicly berade players because he doesn't want them to be timid on the field. This way they are free to go out and play fast and hard without the fear that they will get called out and belittled in front of the whole world if they make a mistake. However he never said they don't get yelled at and in fact basically said the opposite. First he said that if a player makes a major mistake they pull them off one on one with a coach to have "an intense conversation" about it which is another way to say they get yelled at. He also commented that having the masks has helped this year insinuating it gives him a chance to yell at a player without everyone knowing what he is saying.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This way they are free to go out and play fast and hard without the fear that they will get called out and belittled in front of the whole world if they make a mistake.
So under this premise, Bama players aren’t playing fast and hard? What a different world we seem to live in.

I’m of the opinion that CGC should just be genuine. Being theatrically angry when it isn’t “him” would be worse than probably anything. But it seems like people are really trying to make this a black and white issue. CGC is going to recruit players that fit the personality type he wants and are motivated by his style of leadership. As long as he just acts like himself, I don’t think it’ll be an issue. Acting like all the players will play scared if they get yelled at is almost completely laughable though.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
So under this premise, Bama players aren’t playing fast and hard? What a different world we seem to live in.
Not at all what i said. First off, Bama players are a different caliber set of athletes than are currently on our roster so that comparison is just absurd. Secondly, I said they are able to play that way WITHOUT THE FEAR of being yelled at publicly. I am sure everyone of those Bama players fears that they will get called out in front of everyone if they make a mistake. That also does not mean that grabbing a players face and screaming at them in front of everyone is the only way to get through to kids.

Muschamp lays into and cusses out his players all the time but I haven't seen South Carolina getting any better.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Not at all what i said. First off, Bama players are a different caliber set of athletes than are currently on our roster so that comparison is just absurd. Secondly, I said they are able to play that way WITHOUT THE FEAR of being yelled at publicly. I am sure everyone of those Bama players fears that they will get called out in front of everyone if they make a mistake. That also does not mean that grabbing a players face and screaming at them in front of everyone is the only way to get through to kids.

Muschamp lays into and cusses out his players all the time but I haven't seen South Carolina getting any better.
I guess I don't see the problem then. If you fear something and it motivates you to do better, than that seems successful. Only at the detriment of "playing hard and fast" would it not be. I already said that I don't think this is a black and white issue where one style is better than the other, so I 100% agree with there being other ways to motivate athletes.

I've had cheerleader coaches, and I have had hard *** coaches. I respected both, but my personal motivation was never changed because I am internally motivated and not externally. My assumption is Collins will attempt to get kids that are both exceptional athletes and are prone to be motivated by his style. This will build a culture that Collins wants, and I think that is the way to go.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess I don't see the problem then. If you fear something and it motivates you to do better, than that seems successful. Only at the detriment of "playing hard and fast" would it not be. I already said that I don't think this is a black and white issue where one style is better than the other, so I 100% agree with there being other ways to motivate athletes.

I've had cheerleader coaches, and I have had hard *** coaches. I respected both, but my personal motivation was never changed because I am internally motivated and not externally. My assumption is Collins will attempt to get kids that are both exceptional athletes and are prone to be motivated by his style. This will build a culture that Collins wants, and I think that is the way to go.
I think we are on the same page cause I agree there are different approaches and I believe one is not necessarily better than the others. My comments were directed at those who seem to believe the ONLY way to get through to players is to yell in their faces all the time and because Collins isn't berating them in front of everyone then he isn't being effective. I was just recounting what Collins said in his presser that showed he still gets on players just not publicly.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I don’t care if KQ gets his feelings hurt by Collins. KQ isn’t influential enough to do any damage, notice how Collins didn’t go at Marty Smith like that. Collins isn’t stupid.
But what if Marty was a hater? You can’t say “hell yeah f*ck the haters!!!....unless their the establishment, then kiss their ***” which is exactly what you’re implying and is incredibly lame.