Game 7 Media Notre Dame vs. Georgia Tech

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I’m always on the side of a GT coach and believe Collins should be given plenty of time to build the program his way.

With that said, the media are huge wimps. All these press conference questions are horrible and really address nothing that anyone cares about. And this is for all college teams. It’s almost as if the media and coaches pretend there isn’t a 7,000 lb elephant sitting in front of the podium. Everyone knows the top questions that should be asked but these media guys must be scared their access will be limited. I know they cant ask about specific players but there has to be better questions than what you are doing on a Tuesday during a bye week.

Question 1 - why do you think your defensive schemes aren‘t working and do you have something different for ND?
Question 2 - what are you doing to address dead ball penalties like illegal procedure/false start?
Question 3 - why are young guys not getting reps in blow out losses?

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
11:30 to at least 20:30 has some serious Butch Jones vibes. I don’t like listening to the guy, but that doesn’t matter. I hope we beat ND and begin winning consistently soon. As one reporter noted, this is a results oriented profession and at some point talk of culture and monumental challenges has to translate into wins. He’s starting to feel the pressure, and I hope he realizes he’s not going to have 5 years to get us there. If we finish with 3 wins this year and less than 5 next year, his seat will be red hot going into year 4.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
11:30 to at least 20:30 has some serious Butch Jones vibes. I don’t like listening to the guy, but that doesn’t matter. I hope we beat ND and begin winning consistently soon. As one reporter noted, this is a results oriented profession and at some point talk of culture and monumental challenges has to translate into wins. He’s starting to feel the pressure, and I hope he realizes he’s not going to have 5 years to get us there. If we finish with 3 wins this year and less than 5 next year, his seat will be red hot going into year 4.
I think he’s passionate, but I also get an “in over his head” vibe. Saying the right things is only good for so long. And if we took a shot every time the man says “high level”, we’d be absolutely plastered a few minutes into any presser he gives!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Jeez either some of you guys just have it out for Collins or you really have no idea who he is and what he believes. And LOL at anyone that believes threatening and screaming at players will make them play better. Does your boss do that to you at work? Do you need it to perform?

People are very attached to the old school style of coaching because that is what they experienced in high school (while walking 10 miles to school in the snow). I bet the Collins style of coaching becomes predominant in another generation.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If a coach gets on you in the right way, that is you deserve the scolding and he is consistent with you and other players, it can be a real life learning asset. I had a tough coach who gave me no slack, well deserved because I was not a good player in the beginning. By the third year I had put in the work and learned the instructions, and taken the scoldings when I screwed up. It turned out to be the prep I needed when confronted with the GT SHAFT. And when I went to work I had a very demanding boss who spared nobody's feelings. I was well prepared to step up my game to his expectations and I did much better than most under his direction as I had experienced this before...the real world of surviving and at the same time becoming somewhat successful. I give great thanks to that coach who cared enough to demand that I step up to my potential.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that having a coach that yells and gets in your face isn't a total negative cause the players respect them like saben or dabo

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I’m always on the side of a GT coach and believe Collins should be given plenty of time to build the program his way.

With that said, the media are huge wimps. All these press conference questions are horrible and really address nothing that anyone cares about. And this is for all college teams. It’s almost as if the media and coaches pretend there isn’t a 7,000 lb elephant sitting in front of the podium. Everyone knows the top questions that should be asked but these media guys must be scared their access will be limited. I know they cant ask about specific players but there has to be better questions than what you are doing on a Tuesday during a bye week.

Question 1 - why do you think your defensive schemes aren‘t working and do you have something different for ND?
Question 2 - what are you doing to address dead ball penalties like illegal procedure/false start?
Question 3 - why are young guys not getting reps in blow out losses?
I have said the same thing. Honestly reporters regurgitate the same crap weekly. It was refreshing Kelly actually asked a real question.

I would call out specific details and ask about them. Like why does David Curry play the ENTIRE game? If your defense is getting man handled you'd think you'd rotate guys in. Unless you truly believe what we are seeing is as good as we have. Miguez not playing up in Boston and against Clemson at ILB makes no sense. Not playing Wright, and Brooks more makes no sense. Let them play with zero expectations. Some guys play well in game and not in practice.

I am a HUGE fan of the reporter who asked Buehler about his pants in the NLCS. I would of asked the same thing. A reporter is there to ask questions that THE FANS want answered. If the athlete or coach gets upset. They have a job because of THE FANS. Servitude to the fans is needed.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
People are very attached to the old school style of coaching because that is what they experienced in high school (while walking 10 miles to school in the snow). I bet the Collins style of coaching becomes predominant in another generation.
I mean I am a millennial. We had kids on our team who would of liked Collins way. But they were pushovers. We bullied them on the field. 9/10 they were guys who had some talent but were mentally weak. They didn't have that killer instinct to just prove everyone wrong. They had to have their hand held the whole way. That crap got old.

I am all for men expressing their feelings. I get what Collins is doing. My high school coaches would literally demoralize me one moment to the point I was basically in tears. Asking me some serious questions in a rather angry screaming manner 😂.
But at the end of the day I came to these guys for life advice and confided in them. Them grabbing me by the face mask and telling me I needed to get my head out of my a$$ didn't phase me. Telling me I don't deserve the uniform I have on didn't hurt me, and telling me I won't amount to anything in life with the type of drive I have didn't hurt me. They were reality checks. I have been told some stuff that probably isn't "board appropriate" but it helped me and my teammates. He actually has done really well for himself as a coach. He has had some big recruits leave his programs. Barrett Carter is one this year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I listened to Geoff’s entire presser and only wish I could have my 35 min back. The response to every question can’t just be, “We’re gonna love these players, love these coaches and love this program.” At some point, you have to talk results.

How? Geoff would be well served to talk not in generalities, but “milestones and momentum”. Here’s what we’re doing, this is the result we expected, he’s what we delivered .. here’s how we are going to get back to expectations.

He said he understands The Proces. So use that. Where are we in the process? Are we ahead or behind? What areas? What did the game tell you?

Good guy, but vague. He wouldn’t last six months in a Fortune 50 business running a similar sized program.

I hope he succeeds. But he needs help and I don’t think he will listen to anybody but himself.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I thought the question wasn't that bad. Honestly, the mini-rant made me feel a little better about Collins. Maybe the players will respond on the field. My message to the coach as we approach our 7th game of this season is, show us.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I listened to the entire press conference. I do hope Collins succeeds, but here is some food for thought:

Collins is a motivational speaker - his glass is not just half full, but all the way full always. Good for him. You need that in a leader, but ...

He said the game against BC came down to 6 plays. Wow! So, that tells me that he doesn't see anything wrong with our D at all. He didn't speak about missed tackles, which I think we all know is a BIG problem.

Special Teams - it's ironic that the first thing he looks at from the other team is the PAT/FG defense and KO. You'd think if it's that important to him, we'd be better at it. I think my definition of "ridiculously high level" and his are not the same. He said we are fast and play passionately and therefore successful. I consider tackling someone before mid-field as successful. I consider blocking their line and getting a PAT or FG through the uprights rather than blocked successful.

I'm all for loving the kids and developing them as young men. It's what I loved about CPJ - they are just different approaches. I'm all for not embarrassing a kid on the sideline for a mistake, but ...there is a way to get your point across. Mistakes have consequences. If a player commits an unneccesary personal foul AFTER the play, you can choose not to chew him out, but you can say "hey, that was a mistake. I still love you, but you know you have to sit out for X amount of time." or whatever...You can't just say, "oh, I love you - great job" and not correct the mistake. Maybe he is doing that, but we certainlly aren't seeing any evidence of changed behavior.

I'm a believer in process in life over results, but this is a competitive game you chose to coach. At some points, results do matter.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The posts in this thread just confirm how little the average fan knows about college football. People, we don't have talent. We just aren't very good at the line of scrimmage, especially on defense. You people who believe that some "scheme" or "coaching them up" will make a significant difference are clueless. Collins is doing what he is supposed to do--he is out recruiting. But you don't win with first or second year players on defense.
I seem to have to post this once a week these days, but as Urban Meyer said in December, "College football begins and ends with recruiting." He went on to say that the measure of success is the number of players that go to the NFL. How many players has GT put in the NFL in the past few years? How many of our current defensive front are NFL caliber talents? Answer those questions and you'll have your answer to why our defense is poor.
Blaming Collins is a display of stupidity. Collins has been nominated for the Broyles award (named after a GT assistant) at 3 different schools as a defensive coach. Yet many of you who don't think he knows what he is doing. It is you who don't know what you are talking about.
Also, this isn't your white boy high school team. Many players come from homes with no father figure. They need to be shown love. Why do you think Collins has been successful in attracting transfers from Florida, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Texas, Michigan? He recruited these guys in HS and made them feel special, and they remembered that when they became disillusioned with the big name school.
Since some of you respond to toughness, here are my words for you: Shut the hell up.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I could care less about coaching style as long as it gets results. If a SA is doing his homework on future schools, he knows exactly what kind of coach he's getting. If they are in your face yellers or motivational speakers matters not to me. Both methods are valid ways to achieve results on the field. The issue is results. Right now, we aren't seeing them, but I would stipulate that we shouldn't be expecting them just yet. This is a process, and I am on record saying we shouldn't expect real results until 2022. That's, IMO, the make or break year for the CGC regime. I'm wi;;ing to right off this year, and I don't expect more than 5-6 wins next year, though I wouldn't be shocked if we took a major leap forward. By 2022 this will be his team, and the QB will have two solid years in the system. We should be contending for the Coastal as early as 2022 and by 2023 for sure.