Game 7 Media Notre Dame vs. Georgia Tech

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’d say Dabo.

There’s also Rhule, who has transformed every team he’s been HC of and is currently outperforming my expectations on the Panthers. He and Collins are tight and Rhule has definitely helped mold the the coach Collins is today. This probably gives me more hope for Collins than anything else. I’m just hoping we’re on that Baylor trajectory from the last few years and not a Butch Jones type trajectory.

Dabo has shown he will light guys up at times, and his D coordinator is no "player's coach", but I understand why you might include him, as he is a great ambassador and cheerleader as well.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Someone pointed out the other day the HC at Minnesota, Fleck. Not sure just yet he is "highly" successful, but he has made Minnesota a much more respected program. I still think when you are talking about long term, sustained excellence, you would have difficulty finding anyone with the "rah,rah" personality historically, but maybe I am wrong. I know it is true in the business world where I have worked.

What I see more times than not are guys like Butch Jones, who flamed out with his rah, rah stuff, but maybe CGC will be much different than that.
Is it Minnesota or Iowa state that had been dumping much more money into their program lately (maybe both).

If CGC is to succeed here and get us to elite level, we all need to do a better job of funding the program.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what the appeal of screaming at 18-19 year old kids is. Does it actually work? Management and leadership styles and theories have changed. Embarrassing a kid on national TV for a mistake that THE PLAYER IS VERY AWARE AND EMBARRASSED OF isn't good for that individual. The best it will do will to sate the wrath of the angry fan, who will probably still go onto twitter and bash them there 🙄. The joy of watching your team's players get manhandled by the HC isn't a spectator prerogative.
I wasn't a football player, but I did play competitive sports growing up. I can say with absolute certainty that, on occasion, having a coach put the "fear of God" in you, can provide a sense of urgency and clarity you simply can't muster on your own. I am not saying that you yell at a kid every time he screws up. But for a coach, knowing when to unleash that righteous wrath is an extremely valuable tool to have in the toolbox.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully it will be up soon. Kelly does seem to ask questions that get under coaches skins. He did with CPJ as well. Reality is though, weather Coach Collins sees it or not, the optics matter.
Football gurus may see the improvements, but the fan base just wants to see wins and not regression. We all get its going to take time, but when mistakes don't get fixed or get worse week after week, that's on the coaches.
I always know its Kelly when he starts off the question "Hey Coach or(player name), I am just curious". If you listen to the interviews you can make it into a game lol. Usually the over under on him starting a question with that phrase is like 2x per person interviewed lol.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting point. I am trying to think of ANY top coach who has that "rah-rah" salesman mentality who is successful. Anyone else help me out here?
My immediate thought is Pete Carroll. If you listen to his press conferences, he doesn’t even sound like he’s capable of swearing. The trick for Collins won’t be whether he can yell at players; it will be showing them that there are consequences to not giving enough effort, to not listening to coaches, to bad behavior. And showing that there will be rewards for effort, for being a good teammate, for good behavior. He needs to make sure he’s addressing problems head-on and making sure that the players have confidence in the culture, the coaches, the learning process, etc.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

:rolleyes: Even as a millennial Collins is TOO sunshine and rainbows for me. He is like that odd school counselor that tells the dumb kid in class he can achieve anything in the world that he wants if he just puts his mind to it. If I didn't have some extremely tough love in my life I wouldn't of made it as far as I had. My mother was always one to be overly positive and I never respected her for it. No repercussions for poor performance from her. My grandmother laid down the law. She was willing to draw blood. To this day my grandma is the one I thank for any success I have.

I question trusting 18-22 year old men to be responsible and making proper adjustments in their game/livelihood out of pure respect for the coach is the right approach. Not everyone responds to positive reinforcement in a good way, a lot of people use it to take advantage of that leader. I know I did. But I am an a$$hole. Give me an inch I will take it a mile, especially if I know I will get away with it with little to no repercussions.

Just my take. I would not respond well to Collins. I can't believe all 85+ kids do as well. I am curious who the punisher is on the staff. I would guess Key or Coleman. Like the dad figure you are afraid to piss off because you know you may wake up to a beating (Stadiums till you puke and special odd and unusual punishments).

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't a football player, but I did play competitive sports growing up. I can say with absolute certainty that, on occasion, having a coach put the "fear of God" in you, can provide a sense of urgency and clarity you simply can't muster on your own. I am not saying that you yell at a kid every time he screws up. But for a coach, knowing when to unleash that righteous wrath is an extremely valuable tool to have in the toolbox.
I just said roughly the same thing. That coach that in the moment your life flashes before your eyes. I had that a few times in high school and WOOF! I almost cried a couple times from the things said to me. But it motivated me. It made me stronger. Gotta break men to build men.

LOL....you acknowledge the player when they did a good job and you punish the player that continues to not do their job. I had a coach that would grab a face mask and pull the player straight to his face...and that was 8th grade. One year we ended up tying a team and our coach was so mad at us we ran sprints before and after 3 practices. The day before the game he said you will do it again this week if we don't win and not only that but on offense you better score a touch down on the first play. We ran the veer. On the first offensive play our fullback took it 65 yards for a TD.

Someone pointed out the other day the HC at Minnesota, Fleck. Not sure just yet he is "highly" successful, but he has made Minnesota a much more respected program. I still think when you are talking about long term, sustained excellence, you would have difficulty finding anyone with the "rah,rah" personality historically, but maybe I am wrong. I know it is true in the business world where I have worked.

What I see more times than not are guys like Butch Jones, who flamed out with his rah, rah stuff, but maybe CGC will be much different than that.
At the other end of the spectrum, you have Will Muschamp, aka "Coach Boom MFer"

His schtick of screaming at players looked great as long as Mack Brown was Recruiting lights out at Texas and was giving him a Defensive Depth Chart that had 3 future NFL DBs in the 2ndary, 2 Future NFL LBs, and 3 out the 4 DLs were future NFL guys

Musch-dawgie was able to parlay that into a Coach-in-waiting at Texas and then flipped that into the HC Job at an Elite Program like Florida

Guess what happened when he had to Recruit his own Players and Coach an entire Program from Soup to Nuts, he wasn't able to scream them into being a winning Team

My point, is that those that expect CGC to scream a guy into raising his Talent just don't understand FB or any other "Combat Sport", you prepare like hell to win, and the once the Game starts and the hitting Starts, no one not even JC himself is gonna scream at you & miraculously make you better than you are

For all of the "intensity" that Guys like Muschamp & Pruitt at Tenn throw out there, what does it really do to change their Players in game performance........NOT A DAMN THING

No amount of screaming & "intensity" is going to make our slow footed OLs find a way to block Clemson's 5* DLs even if they are T-Fr, elite talent is elite talent

That BC Team we lost to, has at least 2 OLs that are projected to be Drafted in the next 2 NFL Drafts, not Fr that might get drafted 4 yrs from now, that's why our DL got pushed around, not because the CGC didn't yell loud enough

I personally think that screamers are more of a gimmick than the guys like CGC, Dabo, Lincoln Riley, Fleck, etc, in fact Saban is starting to trend towards being a positivity guy

CGC will be fine when he gets better players on both LoS's, don't forget what Urban Meyer says, "80% of your Success as a HC is based on Recruiting"

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Grabbing players by their face masks and screaming at them on the sidelines during a game does absolutely nothing to prepare them for their next opportunity, nor does it make that player any better. The only times a coach should touch a player on the sidelines is to congratulate them, or they can get away with a jersey tug and pull if the player is straight up disrespecting them. But they shouldn’t be jerking them off their feet and completely embarrassing them in that situation either. Even the most intense coaches y’all can site: Saban, Smart, Pruitt, etc. the vast majority of a time they’re yelling at individual players they’re doing so as the player is running off the field and the coach walks by them so there isn’t as much attention brought to it. Of course cameras catch a lot of those interactions, but the coach never holds a player in one spot or tries to demoralize him enough to the point of embarrassment.

You can be intense as a coach without embarrassing your players. Do you people really think CGC isn’t intense during the games? Competing with intensity and embarrassing players don’t have to go hand in hand. Did you not see the clip from the Louisville game where CGC is yelling at the defense to “finish this motherf***er”? Do you ever see an NFL coach grab a player by the facemask during a game? No. Why? Because it doesn’t accomplish anything. No player is going to respect a coach that embarrasses him in public. Coaches are supposed to be intense. They’re not supposed to be drill instructors. Correcting bad behavior, telling players what they’re doing wrong and how they can fix it, and being a respectable person in public are not mutually exclusive from each other.