Game 7 Media Notre Dame vs. Georgia Tech

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Question:

When CGC took the GT job. how many interior DLs did we have that were at least 6-3 295lbs (min size to be a serious P5 DL)?

How many were at least 6-4 315lbs, the ideal size that winning Teams have?

How many were at least 6-4 330+lbs, the kind of guys that Bama-Clemson-Ohio State-LSU-Florida-UGA have at least 2 deep and can rotate?

How many LBers did CGC inherit that can consistently run under a 4.7 that are at least 6-3 230lbs?

When CGC walked in we had 0 TEs on scholly, we need at least 4

When CGC walked in we had about 6 A-backs on scholly that had no defined position in a "modern CFB Offense"?

When CGC walked in we had ZERO OLs that were tall & long with long arms for Pass-Pro as their primary job, it takes about 3 full Recruiting classes just to get the Depth Chart at TE & OL up to a respectable level

Of course we can find individuals at TE & OLine, but to have a depth chart at those slots takes times, guys get banged up, we need to be able to rotate snaps to keep guys fresh, the avg. NFL Game is 60-70 snaps from each team, in college it's trending towards 90 snaps & up due to clocks being stopped more frequently & longer gms

I hate blowouts and poor discipline and poor mental focus on gamedays, but this was the most monumental transition in the history of organized FB

To top it all off GT refused to ""process & roster Mgmt" like Programs that are serious about winning do, the reason I'm in favor of that at GT is, even if we do process & Roster Mgmt like everyone else, the player will still get a Free College Degree

I hear Fans talk about Satterfield at Louisville, the 1st thing he did after becoming the HC was to release all Recruits that had offers from the Cards (11- to 14 IIRC), and then he culled the bottom 10-12 guys off of the Roster, if he made those demands on our Athl Dept, we never would've hired him

I hate blowouts, I hate mental mistakes, but given all the "things" that CGC has to accept as GT's HC, I'm not surprised we are where we are, I'm with him for 3 more seasons, but the PLAYERS have to man the eff up and care about winning
Don't you come in here with your facts! All kidding aside, people don't realize that we need to build talented depth if we want to compete. You say 3 recruiting cycles, but in this day and age you could get it done with 2 cycles and the transfer portal. We're trending in that direction but everyone wants the instant gratification of wins. Hopefully towards the end of this year and next year we start to see more of this staff's recruits playing a more important role. We're already seeing some of the fruits of their labor (Sims, Gibbs, Griffin, Brown, Leonard, Devany, Ward and Williams on offense; Clayton, Allen, Spider, Stone, Lockhart, Ivey, etc on defense).

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Don't you come in here with your facts! All kidding aside, people don't realize that we need to build talented depth if we want to compete. You say 3 recruiting cycles, but in this day and age you could get it done with 2 cycles and the transfer portal. We're trending in that direction but everyone wants the instant gratification of wins. Hopefully towards the end of this year and next year we start to see more of this staff's recruits playing a more important role. We're already seeing some of the fruits of their labor (Sims, Gibbs, Griffin, Brown, Leonard, Devany, Ward and Williams on offense; Clayton, Allen, Spider, Stone, Lockhart, Ivey, etc on defense).
Spider?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Question:

When CGC took the GT job. how many interior DLs did we have that were at least 6-3 295lbs (min size to be a serious P5 DL)?

How many were at least 6-4 315lbs, the ideal size that winning Teams have?

How many were at least 6-4 330+lbs, the kind of guys that Bama-Clemson-Ohio State-LSU-Florida-UGA have at least 2 deep and can rotate?

How many LBers did CGC inherit that can consistently run under a 4.7 that are at least 6-3 230lbs?

When CGC walked in we had 0 TEs on scholly, we need at least 4

When CGC walked in we had about 6 A-backs on scholly that had no defined position in a "modern CFB Offense"?

When CGC walked in we had ZERO OLs that were tall & long with long arms for Pass-Pro as their primary job, it takes about 3 full Recruiting classes just to get the Depth Chart at TE & OL up to a respectable level

Of course we can find individuals at TE & OLine, but to have a depth chart at those slots takes times, guys get banged up, we need to be able to rotate snaps to keep guys fresh, the avg. NFL Game is 60-70 snaps from each team, in college it's trending towards 90 snaps & up due to clocks being stopped more frequently & longer gms

I hate blowouts and poor discipline and poor mental focus on gamedays, but this was the most monumental transition in the history of organized FB

To top it all off GT refused to ""process & roster Mgmt" like Programs that are serious about winning do, the reason I'm in favor of that at GT is, even if we do process & Roster Mgmt like everyone else, the player will still get a Free College Degree

I hear Fans talk about Satterfield at Louisville, the 1st thing he did after becoming the HC was to release all Recruits that had offers from the Cards (11- to 14 IIRC), and then he culled the bottom 10-12 guys off of the Roster, if he made those demands on our Athl Dept, we never would've hired him

I hate blowouts, I hate mental mistakes, but given all the "things" that CGC has to accept as GT's HC, I'm not surprised we are where we are, I'm with him for 3 more seasons, but the PLAYERS have to man the eff up and care about winning

Ironically, as bad as the former staff was at D, they did better with these guys than CGC is so far...

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I love this guy. When the hell was this?
Hahaha April 1983, happened before I was born, but man do I love it. "These guys are out their busting their *** and these people boo?" hahahah

Also when he goes after the dumb 15% of the fans who go to day games, get a job you bums.. Oh Lee, you were a man ahead of your time.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Pressure makes diamonds, having to know that if you mess up the coach is gonna get on your *** can elevate your game. If it makes you worse then you just aren’t cut out for it. No more paddy cake with the QB after he turns it over would he a welcomed change for me.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Just my 2cents, but to me, Collins seemed like it struck a nerve with him with Kelly's question. Seeing that he intentionally repeated his name like 5 times during his response and during the next response to Marty Smith. The weird thing to me was it wasn't even that tough of a question, it was just asking about his sideline demeanor, and he seemed to fly off the handle a bit. Kinda reminded me of Saban in his pressers when he gets asked something he doesn't like, except Saban has a proven winning history to back up his defensiveness.

To me I think its a case of Collins has had a very rosy relationship with media so far as they all tend to like him and speak of how they believe in his vision and what's he trying to do, and what he has been selling. Now, he's finally starting to get some push back because of lack of results and he seems to not take it well. He obviously knows we don't have players right now, he cant openly say it, even though he knows it, most of the fans know it, but he doesn't want to kill what team morale there still is by admitting our lack of roster talent.

I have no idea how he would respond to an actual tough questions like: "Why does the team, especially defensively, seem to be regressing instead of improving through the season? What are you going to do to fix the terrible tackling we see game after game? You are a defensive minded coach, yet players seem confused and don't know their assignments in several points of the game, how do you fix this?"

My main gripe is I would be totally fine if guys were constantly in position to make plays, but just got out played, because we don't have the talent and athleticism. If a receiver is covered but out jumps our DB and makes a play, i can live with it. If a LB is in the hole to make a tackle and gets run over, fine, but he was in the right place to make the play. What I'm not fine with him is game after game of receivers and TEs running uncovered, wide open by 20 yards, LBS running into the back of DL because either the DL didn't know the right gap or the LB didn't, so we have 2 players in 1 gap and the RB runs untouched in the uncovered gap for 20 yards. This things aren't being corrected, and if they are then the current players, cant execute what you are trying to teach SO PUT SOMEONE ELSE IN for gods sake. We play the same 2 LBs that make the same mistakes OVER AND OVER again and yet, no one else sees any reps. It's mind boggling. I don't care if you think they know the defense better, if you know your assignment and still cant do it, what's the point of having them in the game?

I just want Collins and staff to be humble and say basically "we suck at fundamentals right now, this is how we are going to fix it, and we are going to get it fixed, and we should see over the next several weeks, the basically fundamentals, like tackling, improved.

Last edited:
The posts in this thread just confirm how little the average fan knows about college football. People, we don't have talent. We just aren't very good at the line of scrimmage, especially on defense. You people who believe that some "scheme" or "coaching them up" will make a significant difference are clueless. Collins is doing what he is supposed to do--he is out recruiting. But you don't win with first or second year players on defense.
I seem to have to post this once a week these days, but as Urban Meyer said in December, "College football begins and ends with recruiting." He went on to say that the measure of success is the number of players that go to the NFL. How many players has GT put in the NFL in the past few years? How many of our current defensive front are NFL caliber talents? Answer those questions and you'll have your answer to why our defense is poor.
Blaming Collins is a display of stupidity. Collins has been nominated for the Broyles award (named after a GT assistant) at 3 different schools as a defensive coach. Yet many of you who don't think he knows what he is doing. It is you who don't know what you are talking about.
Also, this isn't your white boy high school team. Many players come from homes with no father figure. They need to be shown love. Why do you think Collins has been successful in attracting transfers from Florida, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Texas, Michigan? He recruited these guys in HS and made them feel special, and they remembered that when they became disillusioned with the big name school.
Since some of you respond to toughness, here are my words for you: Shut the hell up.
So you must be the guru of college football, huh? You are the head coach, you speak about performing a high level, every day, every practice. It doesn't take a lot to see that they are not doing that. I don't anybody here wants to see the team fail and the program suffer, but stop with the coach speak, accept that there are things that are not being done at a high level and fix it. The fact that he was getting riled up about a few of those questions is a clear that he understands that what he is saying isnt what we are seeing and that is on him. So you know what, you shut the hell up!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not yet, but the reality is that different people respond to different types of leadership. Some (maybe most) don't respond well to getting lit up. Others respond in a much more noticeable manner (despite what our head coach and many parents I know). My point here is not that our coach needs to start blowing kids up on the sidelines, but instead that he needs to understand what works for individuals and not assume that it's one size fits all. Maybe he has kids on the staff that need a kick in the butt to be motivated...perhaps that's how they were raised and what they respond to best?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
He also said that Tobias Oliver is an elite CB. I'm not at all trying to tear down Tobias...I think he has been adjusting and playing well, but if he's an elite corner then he should be on the damn field on every defensive play based on what has been happening the past few weeks.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
"...but the PLAYERS have to man the eff up and care about winning"

Why would the players care about winning in these last two seasons, except for their own pride as players? The coaching staff on many occasions has stated that wins don't matter that much while we are "transitioning." It is very easy to adapt a "loser's" mentality and that is extremely hard to overcome. Losing breeds losing as well as winning breeds winning. I am concerned that as we trip, stumble and fall during the transition, we are developing that mindset. Perhaps not externally, but internally. Time will tell if/when players start hitting the portal.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The BC game certainly didn’t come down to 6 plays.
Correct. In fact, him trying to simplify it to that is comical. He can talk about how critical those six plays were, but what about the other dozens of plays where our defense was getting shredded instead of responding?

I'm sure he'll ultimately turn this thing around at least a little, but he's going to alienate the fan base pretty quickly if he shows up at pressers pissed off at the fans after getting outscored a combined 121-34 in two games.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just my 2cents, but to me, Collins seemed like it struck a nerve with him with Kelly's question. Seeing that he intentionally repeated his name like 5 times during his response and during the next response to Marty Smith. The weird thing to me was it wasn't even that tough of a question, it was just asking about his sideline demeanor, and he seemed to fly off the handle a bit. Kinda reminded me of Saban in his pressers when he gets asked something he doesn't like, except Saban has a proven winning history to back up his defensiveness.

To me I think its a case of Collins has had a very rosy relationship with media so far as they all tend to like him and speak of how they believe in his vision and what's he trying to do, and what he has been selling. Now, he's finally starting to get some push back because of lack of results and he seems to not take it well. He obviously knows we don't have players right now, he cant openly say it, even though he knows it, most of the fans know it, but he doesn't want to kill what team morale there still is by admitting our lack of roster talent.

I have no idea how he would respond to an actual tough questions like: "Why does the team, especially defensively, seem to be regressing instead of improving through the season? What are you going to do to fix the terrible tackling we see game after game? You are a defensive minded coach, yet players seem confused and don't know their assignments in several points of the game, how do you fix this?"

My main gripe is I would be totally fine if guys were constantly in position to make plays, but just got out played, because we don't have the talent and athleticism. If a receiver is covered but out jumps our DB and makes a play, i can live with it. If a LB is in the hole to make a tackle and gets run over, fine, but he was in the right place to make the play. What I'm not fine with him is game after game of receivers and TEs running uncovered, wide open by 20 yards, LBS running into the back of DL because either the DL didn't know the right gap or the LB didn't, so we have 2 players in 1 gap and the RB runs untouched in the uncovered gap for 20 yards. This things aren't being corrected, and if they are then the current players, cant execute what you are trying to teach SO PUT SOMEONE ELSE IN for gods sake. We play the same 2 LBs that make the same mistakes OVER AND OVER again and yet, no one else sees any reps. It's mind boggling. I don't care if you think they know the defense better, if you know your assignment and still cant do it, what's the point of having them in the game?

I just want Collins and staff to be humble and say basically "we suck at fundamentals right now, this is how we are going to fix it, and we are going to get it fixed, and we should see over the next several weeks, the basically fundamentals, like tackling, improved.

Most coaches are not good at communications which is why the the AD supplies them with communications directors. These guys should be preparing briefing docs and coaching Geoff on what to say.

It could be as simple as ... “We had a tough game. We want to win them all, but we aren’t focused on that today. We’re focused on ...

... growth

... player development

... and recruiting (As it stands right now, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets have the 20th ranked recruiting class in the nation (Rivals). It would be the first time since 2007 that Tech hauled in a top 25 class.)

He should tie every question back to these priorities (he said these were the priorities) and remind everyone of where he is in the whole process.

And he should stop lecturing. Not an attractive look. Keep it simple, organized, and tied back to the process.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
"...but the PLAYERS have to man the eff up and care about winning"

Why would the players care about winning in these last two seasons, except for their own pride as players? The coaching staff on many occasions has stated that wins don't matter that much while we are "transitioning." It is very easy to adapt a "loser's" mentality and that is extremely hard to overcome. Losing breeds losing as well as winning breeds winning. I am concerned that as we trip, stumble and fall during the transition, we are developing that mindset. Perhaps not externally, but internally. Time will tell if/when players start hitting the portal.

FWIW, Geoff mentioned “The Process” at Alabama. The Process is a psychology mindset that is focused on doing the right thing, on and off the field, and owning one’s personal responsibility and accountability for the result.

Saban talks about not worried about winning but, rather, executing every play and every skill ... EXACTLY ... as intended. I think this is what Geoff is trying to say, but he gets too excited and runs off on tangents. The resulting image is ... he’s goofy.

If he organizes his speaking better, he’s probably convince everyone he’s exactly where he thought he’d be and that ... breeds confidence.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ironically, as bad as the former staff was at D, they did better with these guys than CGC is so far...

Just to clarify, while we seemingly fared better with our D under CPJ than the last year and a half, a lot of that was due to having an offense that could stay on the field. A large portion of our defensive struggles now aren't because of size of the linemen but rather growing pains by the O.