Game 7 Media Notre Dame vs. Georgia Tech

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone else get the impression that we are going to see some tempo from them?
My takes based on his assessment of us, and this is total conjecture:

He saw them isolate our MLB and have some success on the edges. They will try that

Safeties are “big” so may try to isolate on speed.

Corners are best part of the D.

No mention of DL, so no worries there.

Stop Sims and Gibbs running, and take your chances with the WR.

play a lot of guys on D, let’s run some tempo and keep the matchups we like on the field.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I think all these things on how we played so so team and it never works I hope that they don't do that this week

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone else get the impression that we are going to see some tempo from them?

Are they a tempo team? If so then probably. If not then probably not. Generally speaking, against bad teams you don't really go out of your way to change what you normally do. You do what you do best, dare them to stop you, and they are bad probably because they can't stop it.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Should be a good presser to watch whenever it does get posted to YouTube.

Hopefully it will be up soon. Kelly does seem to ask questions that get under coaches skins. He did with CPJ as well. Reality is though, weather Coach Collins sees it or not, the optics matter.
Football gurus may see the improvements, but the fan base just wants to see wins and not regression. We all get its going to take time, but when mistakes don't get fixed or get worse week after week, that's on the coaches.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Questions will begin to come about the "state of the program" soon, if not today. It will be very interesting to see how CGC responds. At some point, the honeymoon will end unless results on the field deliver with the rhetoric. Hopefully, that honeymoon won't end this year, because I do believe any coach deserves at least 2 years before the press starts getting difficult with its questioning, but in today's world, you never know.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully it will be up soon. Kelly does seem to ask questions that get under coaches skins. He did with CPJ as well. Reality is though, weather Coach Collins sees it or not, the optics matter.
Football gurus may see the improvements, but the fan base just wants to see wins and not regression. We all get its going to take time, but when mistakes don't get fixed or get worse week after week, that's on the coaches.

Kelly says he asked CGC about why he doesn't get on players and get in their faces on the sideline when they mess up and CGC gave a passionate speech about his philosophy on that. I think what our fanbase misses about Coach Collins is everyone assumes the relentless positivity stuff is a salesman act for recruits when everyone who has ever known the guy personally says it is 100 percent who he is.

Deleted member 2897

Off-topic, and I apologize for it, but for any of you guys that don’t track Georgia Tech basketball, we have several crystal balls to pick up a top 50 national commit tomorrow.

On this topic, I’ll be interested to hear what Kelly asked - he doesn’t typically ask extremely challenging or rude questions. If he’s asking about some thing that he knows the coach doesn’t want to talk about, like in the preseason which quarterback is starting, he usually chuckles when he asks or gives signals so the coach knows he’s just doing his job. His more snarky attitude side is usually reserved in my opinion for his Twitter and rivals account.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Kelly says he asked CGC about why he doesn't get on players and get in their faces on the sideline when they mess up and CGC gave a passionate speech about his philosophy on that. I think what our fanbase misses about Coach Collins is everyone assumes the relentless positivity stuff is a salesman act for recruits when everyone who has ever known the guy personally says it is 100 percent who he is.

Again, I don't know what others think, but I don't think CGC's salesman talents are an "act" - I do believe they are his genuine personality and God-given talent - my only concern is that I have seen very few people with this personality (I believe genuine in his case) also be top 10 HC's or highly successful in technical skills or other in my lifetime. I believe having a guy like CGC on staff is great, but not sure it is the best personality for a HC. Time will tell though.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Again, I don't know what others think, but I don't think CGC's salesman talents are an "act" - I do believe they are his genuine personality and God-given talent - my only concern is that I have seen very few people with this personality (I believe genuine in his case) also be top 10 HC's or highly successful in technical skills or other in my lifetime. I believe having a guy like CGC on staff is great, but not sure it is the best personality for a HC. Time will tell though.
Interesting point. I am trying to think of ANY top coach who has that "rah-rah" salesman mentality who is successful. Anyone else help me out here?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Interesting point. I am trying to think of ANY top coach who has that "rah-rah" salesman mentality who is successful. Anyone else help me out here?

Someone pointed out the other day the HC at Minnesota, Fleck. Not sure just yet he is "highly" successful, but he has made Minnesota a much more respected program. I still think when you are talking about long term, sustained excellence, you would have difficulty finding anyone with the "rah,rah" personality historically, but maybe I am wrong. I know it is true in the business world where I have worked.

What I see more times than not are guys like Butch Jones, who flamed out with his rah, rah stuff, but maybe CGC will be much different than that.

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d say Dabo.

There’s also Rhule, who has transformed every team he’s been HC of and is currently outperforming my expectations on the Panthers. He and Collins are tight and Rhule has definitely helped mold the the coach Collins is today. This probably gives me more hope for Collins than anything else. I’m just hoping we’re on that Baylor trajectory from the last few years and not a Butch Jones type trajectory.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’d say Dabo.

There’s also Rhule, who has transformed every team he’s been HC of and is currently outperforming my expectations on the Panthers. He and Collins are tight and Rhule has definitely helped mold the the coach Collins is today. This probably gives me more hope for Collins than anything else. I’m just hoping we’re on that Baylor trajectory from the last few years and not a Butch Jones type trajectory.

Dabo is rah rah but also has probably the best staff of coaches serving beneath him at Clemson and they don't bail for bigger jobs.

I am hoping you are right on the second part. I am not giving up on CGC yet.

Nemo951

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not sure what the appeal of screaming at 18-19 year old kids is. Does it actually work? Management and leadership styles and theories have changed. Embarrassing a kid on national TV for a mistake that THE PLAYER IS VERY AWARE AND EMBARRASSED OF isn't good for that individual. The best it will do will to sate the wrath of the angry fan, who will probably still go onto twitter and bash them there 🙄. The joy of watching your team's players get manhandled by the HC isn't a spectator prerogative.