CPJ Comments on Contract Extension

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Kevin steele drove baylor into the ground. I saw them play against texas tech - we left w 4 minutes to go in 2nd quarter. They were still running the same passive defense while behind 45 to 3.
He is a good talker (now under malzan who keeps tight rope) but i think we beat him twice.

Head coach and dc/oc must mesh. I know Ted was a strong willed guy but it was time for a change.
A semi successful agressive defense and a solid TO offense will be awesom

Thanks for the info.
At the dywer thomas orange bowl we had athletes that matched the talent of a top big 10 = Iowa. Dywer and thomas were our best and they had a great defensive lineman. Lots of good players.

Our talent levels has markedly declined compared to top teams.

It is what it is. Got to play with what we have.

Iowa ate our lunch along both lines of scrimmage. That ‘09 team was one of our best overall in the CPJ era. But even then we lacked depth and even breadth compared to elite teams. We had great skill players on O, a great DB, a great DE, and some good role players.

But a notch shy of elite. And IMO Clemson of the last 3 years would spank ‘09 Iowa.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Kevin steele drove baylor into the ground. I saw them play against texas tech - we left w 4 minutes to go in 2nd quarter. They were still running the same passive defense while behind 45 to 3.

way back when, I was much closer to the Georgia Southern program than I am now. I was told, by some pretty informed folks, that the AD wanted Kevin Steele in 1996. Erk threw his weight behind PJ.
And the rest as they say is history.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
CPJ graduates 82% of his players that in itself should be commended. The play on the field is missed bag but overall he’s won at GT. I’d like a better winning percentage but my desire doesn’t supercede the reality. CPJ is a good coach and he wins, some. My preference for a different type of offense doesn’t get in the way of facts and the fact is if GT & it’s fans are satisfied with a a bit above mediocre football program I have to be fine with that as a fan or make my fandom elsewhere. My hope is that CPJ & the GT Admin put together the necessary pieces to make the program more consistent and championship level. That hope is what will push me forward to 2022 and beyond.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I would not give him an extension. His current deal is through 2020. That is for the next 3 football seasons. The last 3 season have been less than steller. Let's see how his next DC pans out as the first four have not lasted and let's see how he develops Lucas Johnson or Tobias Oliver.

He has the best depth at QB since he has been here, however he stuck with a converted ABACK last year who completed only 37% of his passes. If Taqoun starts at QB this may be a sign of bigger issues. Coach Johnson does not develop Quarterbacks very well and thus another 6 or 7 win season may be our ceiling.

Let's see what 2018 brings before we extend him. If he doesn't like he he can go Coach at Tennessee.
What about the 2016 season?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
It’s worth noting that Dodd, who put a pretty good product on the field from 1945-1966, averaged 7.5 victories a season during his 22 years (10-game schedule). During his 10 seasons at Tech, Johnson also has averaged 7.5 victories per season (12-game schedule).

I wonder what Dodd would have avg if he played 12- games.... Or how many Wins CPJ would lose if he only played 10-Games... Either Way CPJ, Chan Gailey, George O'leary have been good for Tech.

GO- avg 7.4 wins per season
6-5
5-6
7-5
10-2
8-4
9-3
7-5

CG- avg 7.3 wins per season
7-6
7-6
7-5
7-5
9-5
7-5

CPJ- avg 7.6 wins per season
9-4
11-3
6-7
8-5
7-7
7-6
11-3
3-9
9-4
5-6

I will go on record I had no issues with GO I actually loved watching Joe Ham and the Goose, I enjoyed the QB development of those teams... I had no issue with Chan except we lost to UGA, could not beat Wake, and he never developed a QB...

CPJ I hated the way we lost the Peach and the OB in start...I liked winning the ACC in 09 and the OB in 2014... I have hated the last 3 years.. I am frustrated with CPJ and his revolving DC door and how poor our QB played last year. If anyone can turn it around it is CPJ. I hope he does and he get Tech in the CFP... However I am smart enough to know we can get another coach at Georgia Tech who can do what GO and Chan did maybe even better so Tech Football will not die when CPJ leaves like some of the posters here would have you think!!
What about the 2016 season and add i more season to the last 3 with the great 2014!!

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't say there was a lack of development, but rather there wasn't really the development you would expect considering the circumstances. We basically have a head coach who created the offense, who is his own OC, and have a program completely defined by the offense we'd run. In those circumstances I would expect a 3 year starter to be in contention for 1st team All ACC and have at least one that you would say was a master at running the offense and that you would really go back and tell recruits "this is how you should run the offense". IMO none of those 3 developed into that.

I love Nesbitt and Thomas but IMO neither senior's season lived up to expectation imo. For Nesbitt that was partially because of injury, but even before hand. It's not that they were bad, quite the opposite, but compare them to say Hamilton as a senior. IMO neither of them sniffed that level of play, and to me I would have expected at least one of the three year starters to be at that level. Especially Thomas after the soph year that he had.

As far as tevin goes, well his senior year for me is remembered for the OT int agianst VT, the OT play change against miami, the drubbing against BYU, the loss and lack luster play against MTSU, and getting benched against UGA. I know I'll get the 4 fonts who will defend him to no end and put the play on everyone else, but I can't look at his senior year and see good play.
Sidewalk was at the lake and dangled some sweet bait and hung a large mouth b ***!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The responses on social media to the extension are BRUTAL.

I've always felt that each GT board's collective "group think" becomes insular over time...but the social media comments...yikes...

Pretty interesting when you step out of the bubble from time to time.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I've always felt that each GT board's collective "group think" becomes insular over time...but the social media comments...yikes...

They are either cheering for joy or bent over in laughter.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I don't do social media. Why do you suppose those comments might be different in tone than what we see on the more civilized message boards? I know everyone who frequents the message boards are not all 100% in favor of CPJ and/or his system but just curious as to why the tone may be so decidedly different (i'm inferring a bit here from the last 3 -4 posts in this thread.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
I just don’t understand Georgia Tech. CPJ goes 5-6 and reward him for that? Lol I guess we love being mediocre. Dawgs fans have ever right to make fun of us, they just went to a national campionship and were over here rewarding a coach that didn’t even make a bowl game. Seriously, we can’t even argue sports with uga right now because they have passed in almost every sport

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t understand Georgia Tech. CPJ goes 5-6 and reward him for that? Lol I guess we love being mediocre. Dawgs fans have ever right to make fun of us, they just went to a national campionship and were over here rewarding a coach that didn’t even make a bowl game. Seriously, we can’t even argue sports with uga right now because they have passed in almost every sport
I agree, you don’t understand Georgia Tech.