CPJ Comments on Contract Extension

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Let the arguments begin... [emoji39]

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college/paul-johnson-comments-contract-extension/mKlv4JNYnTQKmeU66OJN9L/

“(The extension) takes it back to five, which, pretty much, I think that’s about all that any school would want to commit to and that was fine with me,” ...
"Johnson said he didn’t know if he’ll serve out the five years of the deal, at which point he would be 65."

“We’ll see,” he said. “I said I’ll know when it’s not fun any longer. We’ll see. It’s not something I have to do, but as long as you enjoy it and it’s fun, yeah, keep going. I’ve always said I’ll know when it’s time.”

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think he has the right attitude and I think he’s still hungry. And contrary to a popular narrative, he’s made changes and conducted experiments along the way.

This is true. He even experimented a bit on O. Although he went away from it quickly but tried. I do think he finally found a good scheme fit for us on D. Took him too long, but learning what u can do at tech does take a while.

My only thing is I wish on O he would still tweak how/what we do on the OL just a bit. Allow for more 2 pt stances and zone just to help the OL. Not to say we still dont do what we do. But just mix that it more

GTFLETCH

Banned
I would not give him an extension. His current deal is through 2020. That is for the next 3 football seasons. The last 3 season have been less than steller. Let's see how his next DC pans out as the first four have not lasted and let's see how he develops Lucas Johnson or Tobias Oliver.

He has the best depth at QB since he has been here, however he stuck with a converted ABACK last year who completed only 37% of his passes. If Taqoun starts at QB this may be a sign of bigger issues. Coach Johnson does not develop Quarterbacks very well and thus another 6 or 7 win season may be our ceiling.

Let's see what 2018 brings before we extend him. If he doesn't like he he can go Coach at Tennessee.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I would not give him an extension. His current deal is through 2020. That is for the next 3 football seasons. The last 3 season have been less than steller. Let's see how his next DC pans out as the first four have not lasted and let's see how he develops Lucas Johnson or Tobias Oliver.

He has the best depth at QB since he has been here, however he stuck with a converted ABACK last year who completed only 37% of his passes. If Taqoun starts at QB this may be a sign of bigger issues. Coach Johnson does not develop Quarterbacks very well and thus another 6 or 7 win season may be our ceiling.

Let's see what 2018 brings before we extend him. If he doesn't like he he can go Coach at Tennessee.
Josh, Tevin and Justin. He was snake bit with the kid who fell off the 4 wheeler, but that kid was the stereotype flexbone qb prospect.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

You've been approaching troll status with your constant reference to TM as an AB and the 37% number. Read the quotes from yesterday's ajc article. TM is the leader of our offense at this point. He says he knows what he did right and wrong last year, other guys are claiming he has a full grasp of the offense inside and out, and players seem to want to play for him. Now, he may very well get beaten out by LJ come fall. But I think it's unlikely. And your comment on QB development is laughable, at best. JfN went from a HS offense where he chucked it all over the place, essentially played wildcat for CCG, and then became a record-setting option beast under CPJ. TW had the least physical ability of any QB we have had, and became an option wizard who maxed out his ability. JeT. 'nuff said. How 'bout we see what TM does for a couple games first, mmkay?

We're extremely lucky he hasn't left already, tbh, considering his pay, budget, and limitations.

Careful what you wish for...

GTFLETCH

Banned
You've been approaching troll status with your constant reference to TM as an AB and the 37% number. Read the quotes from yesterday's ajc article. TM is the leader of our offense at this point. He says he knows what he did right and wrong last year, other guys are claiming he has a full grasp of the offense inside and out, and players seem to want to play for him. Now, he may very well get beaten out by LJ come fall. But I think it's unlikely. And your comment on QB development is laughable, at best. JfN went from a HS offense where he chucked it all over the place, essentially played wildcat for CCG, and then became a record-setting option beast under CPJ. TW had the least physical ability of any QB we have had, and became an option wizard who maxed out his ability. JeT. 'nuff said. How 'bout we see what TM does for a couple games first, mmkay?

We're extremely lucky he hasn't left already, tbh, considering his pay, budget, and limitations.

Careful what you wish for...
I can see your point about JN, TW (I think he is better than TM) and JeT.... However I am concerned that TM who is a leader and probably our best Aback was thrust into the starting roll (when you have MJ, LJ, JJ, TO) when I think back to the Vad Lee issues and I see how the current QBs are being handled... As you have mentioned we will have to give TM a few games before we know if he can ever throw the ball as well as TW or if he is an ABACK playing out of position much like last year.

I just think AD should wait until after the 2019 season to extend CPJ... Facts are Facts (besides poor QB & Defense play last year)...The Jackets were a disappointing 5-6 last year, Johnson’s second losing season in three years does not deserve a two year extension. Just like you mentioned giving TM a few games, lets see how 2018 turns out before we extend CPJ. If he leaves for Tennessee so be it!

Just thinking about QBs development and stats. So you are a QB in a spread offense that throws the ball 70% of the time. Of that 70% 30% of your passes are 10 yards or more. The rest are bubble screens and smoke routes. Your completion percentage is 65%. N0w what if we said that a pitch in the option, which is comparable to a short pass, should be counted in your completion percentage......then our QBs are at around 75% completion rate. Just saying.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Just thinking about QBs development and stats. So you are a QB in a spread offense that throws the ball 70% of the time. Of that 70% 30% of your passes are 10 yards or more. The rest are bubble screens and smoke routes. Your completion percentage is 65%. N0w what if we said that a pitch in the option, which is comparable to a short pass, should be counted in your completion percentage......then our QBs are at around 75% completion rate. Just saying.
Good point, but I do seem to remember last year TM seem to have problems pitching the ball, so maybe TM has more work to do then just improving on completing passes.... Which would go to my first concern why is out best ABACK playing QB? If we have the great depth and CPJ can call plays for anyone of them? If we do not win the ACC this year with TM at QB are we doing any of the other QBs (or the football program for that matter) on the roster any good? What happens if we win 7 games this year with our best AB playing QB and next year we start another QB who has not been developed? What ABACK will CPJ turn to then?

Good point, but I do seem to remember last year TM seem to have problems pitching the ball, so maybe TM has more work to do then just improving on completing passes.... Which would go to my first concern why is out best ABACK playing QB? If we have the great depth and CPJ can call plays for anyone of them? If we do not win the ACC this year with TM at QB are we doing any of the other QBs (or the football program for that matter) on the roster any good? What happens if we win 7 games this year with our best AB playing QB and next year we start another QB who has not been developed? What ABACK will CPJ turn to then?
So let's stop calling TM an A back. He was brought in to be a Qb but because of his talent CPJ wanted to get him on the field. By the way Mathew Jordan played A back as well in 2015. I believe last year Jordan was going to be the starter with TM as the 2nd. When Jordan went out TM moved up.

GTFLETCH

Banned
So let's stop calling TM an A back. He was brought in to be a Qb but because of his talent CPJ wanted to get him on the field. By the way Mathew Jordan played A back as well in 2015. I believe last year Jordan was going to be the starter with TM as the 2nd. When Jordan went out TM moved up.
You are correct... if TM is named starting QB for 2018 I will have to quit calling him an ABACK... But lets not forget in 2015 TM was recruited to play AB and C. Campbell was recruited to play QB... Much like Jamal Golden... C. Campbell was converted to DB. We all know TM starting QB record last year(5-6, I will leave out completion % )

My original point is that Georgia Tech has an issue developing QBs Outside of ( N, and JeT who were talents) a few starters who were freakish talented...we have had poor QB play in the CPJ era.

For Example:
TM- 3 years in program (5-6, 37%)
MJ- 4 years in program (1-0)
LJ- 3 years in program...Crickets
TO- 3 years in Program...Crickets
Vad Lee - 3 years in program ...(7-6 and transfers)

Link
https://www.myajc.com/blog/georgia-...all-joins-back-charge/hymZfEYgUse1TjROfaeWFP/

Last edited:
You are correct... if TM is named starting QB for 2018 I will have to quit calling him an ABACK... But lets not forget in 2015 TM was recruited to play AB and C. Campbell was recruited to play QB... Much like Jamal Golden... C. Campbell was converted to DB. We all know TM starting QB record last year(5-6, I will leave out completion % )

My original point is that Georgia Tech has an issue developing QBs Outside of ( N, and JeT who were talents) a few starters who were freakish talented...we have had poor QB play in the CPJ era.

For Example:
TM- 3 years in program (5-6, 37%)
MJ- 4 years in program (1-0)
LJ- 3 years in program...Crickets
TO- 3 years in Program...Crickets
Vad Lee - 3 years in program ...(7-6 and transfers)

Link
https://www.myajc.com/blog/georgia-...all-joins-back-charge/hymZfEYgUse1TjROfaeWFP/
Interesting you say this because the best QB we have had by the numbers, ie Offensive production was......Tevin Washington. See this post for stats. https://gtswarm.com/threads/cpj-offense-stats-at-tech.14676/

GTFLETCH

Banned
Interesting you say this because the best QB we have had by the numbers, ie Offensive production was......Tevin Washington. See this post for stats. https://gtswarm.com/threads/cpj-offense-stats-at-tech.14676/
So we can agree that despite players CPJ offense will put up gaudy numbers.... However one can conclude that winning ACC titles and Orange Bowls takes more than great offensive numbers! I am assuming in 2009 and 2014 there was something more...

Heck Last year I think we were 5-6 and the 5th top rushing team in the nation....

So we can agree that despite players CPJ offense will put up gaudy numbers.... However one can conclude that winning ACC titles and Orange Bowls takes more than great offensive numbers! I am assuming in 2009 and 2014 there was something more...

Heck Last year I think we were 5-6 and the 5th top rushing team in the nation....
Yes, to win you need something more. Luck, a good kicker, and a better defense.