CPJ Comments on Contract Extension

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Your first point is pure mythology. All the best dual threat quarterbacks go to spread option factories.

Our 2011 offense was one of the best we’ve had in the Coach Johnson era. It was mainly due to Tevin Washington’s mastery of the quarterback position. We had no stud bback, we had no stud receiver. The offensive line was average at best.

1. Then that's an argument against the offense and it certainly wasn't the narrative that people were throwing out when he was hired or several years after the fact.

2. And I was talking about his senior year where he played like bunk. Also, no, 2011 we had a good offense but not a great one. We've had about 3 or 4 that were better at least and a couple of others that were on par with that. And even if you want to argue he was really good that year, we were talking about development so what does it say that his junior year was so much better than his senior? Also, good job at making my prediction of blaming everything but Tevin. David sims averaged over 5 per carry at the BBack spot that year which is similar to what the "stud" mills did in 2016 or Benson did last year. We also had Roddy, Peeples, and Smith at the a back as two seniors and a junior, and a junior Hill at WR. Talking about pure mythology, the idea that Washington was playing with absolutely no talent is a mythology designed entirely to prop up one player.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
1. Then that's an argument against the offense and it certainly wasn't the narrative that people were throwing out when he was hired or several years after the fact.

2. And I was talking about his senior year where he played like bunk. Also, no, 2011 we had a good offense but not a great one. We've had about 3 or 4 that were better at least and a couple of others that were on par with that. And even if you want to argue he was really good that year, we were talking about development so what does it say that his junior year was so much better than his senior? Also, good job at making my prediction of blaming everything but Tevin. David sims averaged over 5 per carry at the BBack spot that year which is similar to what the "stud" mills did in 2016 or Benson did last year. We also had Roddy, Peeples, and Smith at the a back as two seniors and a junior, and a junior Hill at WR. Talking about pure mythology, the idea that Washington was playing with absolutely no talent is a mythology designed entirely to prop up one player.
1. The spread option offense wasn’t in vogue when Johnson was hired. My original point still stands anyway, the best QBs want to throw it and throw it a lot. They don’t want to play in an option offense. They also want a chance at a national title.

2. You are still cherry picking. Look at Tevin’s complete career, not just his senior season. For the majority of his career he had an average supporting cast. The 2011 offense outranks any CPJ offense at GT in total offense. I’d call that a wee bit better than just good.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
2. You are still cherry picking. Look at Tevin’s complete career, not just his senior season. For the majority of his career he had an average supporting cast. The 2011 offense outranks any CPJ offense at GT in total offense. I’d call that a wee bit better than just good.

We were discussing QB development which is why the senior year was looked at to begin with. And yes, he was bad as a soph, which was understandable given the circumstance he came in at. His junior year he was good, but that year was super inflated by just pounding bad teams. First half was littered with some truely awful teams, and then a good performance against a decent NCSU team and a bad performance against a bad Maryland team. The back half of the schedule had a great win against Clemosn, but it also had several stinkers otherwise. No, just because that team was really good at pounding the bad teams doesn't make it the best team under Johnson and the total offense was inflated because of those games. By OFEI it was at best 4th, clearly behind 08,09, and 14 and pretty much around 3 or 4 other years. Even so he wasn't bad that year and from a development standpoint it was a good, not great, second year. But he took a huge step back his senior year hence it's focus on the question relating to development.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
1. The spread option offense wasn’t in vogue when Johnson was hired. My original point still stands anyway, the best QBs want to throw it and throw it a lot. They don’t want to play in an option offense. They also want a chance at a national title.

So Johnson's offense is a detriment to recruiting QBs. That's not a point in his favor.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
David sims averaged over 5 per carry at the BBack spot that year which is similar to what the "stud" mills did in 2016 or Benson did last year. We also had Roddy, Peeples, and Smith at the a back as two seniors and a junior, and a junior Hill at WR. Talking about pure mythology, the idea that Washington was playing with absolutely no talent is a mythology designed entirely to prop up one player.

Just to keep this argument going...

BB/WR1 Combos

2008: Dwyer/Thomas
2009: Dwyer/Thomas
2010: Allen/Hill
2011: Sims/Hill
2012: Sims&Laskey/Green (wow, can't believe I just typed that)
2013: Sims/Smelter
2014: Laskey/Smelter
2015: Skov&Marshall/Jeune
2016: Mills/Jeune
2017: Benson/Jeune

Which of those combos would you prefer the 2011 combo OVER?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

BB/WR1 Combos

2010,1012,013 (Hill was better than junior Smelter and Sims was about the same those years). I'd also put it ahead of Laskey/Smelter but behind Days/Smelter in 2014. Ahead of Skove/Jeune but about even with Marshall/Jeune (Marshall was better than Sims but Hill was better than Jeune). 2016 is about even as is 2017, slight edges to Mills/Benson and Hill. The only pairings I take for sure over 2011 is Dwyer/Thomas and Days/Smelter.

The other thing though is that you're leaving off a backs. 2011 had a senior Roddy, senior Peeples, and Junior Smith. That group is up there with

08 and 09 stand out pretty heavily from the rest in terms of talent with really only the back half of 2014 comparing. Had we used Marshall more then who knows, but we didn't. The rest of them are all similar imo except for 2012 and to a lesser extent 2013. 2015 was bad when we tried to go with Skov but Marshall was the second most talented bback we've had. Problem then was playing the wrong player too much.

In 2011 Sims was hurt by Washington's tendency to call his own number too much (240+ carries) and Hill was hurt by Washington's weak arm. Switch Tevin with Thomas and nobody would be calling the 2011 supporting cats weak, especially when you factor in the a backs.

2012 is really the only year, along with the Skov experiment, that stands out as below the pack. It was also our worst year for QB play as well imo.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
2010,1012,013 (Hill was better than junior Smelter and Sims was about the same those years). I'd also put it ahead of Laskey/Smelter but behind Days/Smelter in 2014. Ahead of Skove/Jeune but about even with Marshall/Jeune (Marshall was better than Sims but Hill was better than Jeune). 2016 is about even as is 2017, slight edges to Mills/Benson and Hill. The only pairings I take for sure over 2011 is Dwyer/Thomas and Days/Smelter.

The other thing though is that you're leaving off a backs. 2011 had a senior Roddy, senior Peeples, and Junior Smith. That group is up there with

08 and 09 stand out pretty heavily from the rest in terms of talent with really only the back half of 2014 comparing. Had we used Marshall more then who knows, but we didn't. The rest of them are all similar imo except for 2012 and to a lesser extent 2013. 2015 was bad when we tried to go with Skov but Marshall was the second most talented bback we've had. Problem then was playing the wrong player too much.

In 2011 Sims was hurt by Washington's tendency to call his own number too much (240+ carries) and Hill was hurt by Washington's weak arm. Switch Tevin with Thomas and nobody would be calling the 2011 supporting cats weak, especially when you factor in the a backs.

2012 is really the only year, along with the Skov experiment, that stands out as below the pack. It was also our worst year for QB play as well imo.

While I disagree that TW had a great supporting cast in 2011 and underperformed, I appreciate the time you took to back up your argument. (y)

BTW, TW had a 49% completion % in 2011 and threw for 1600 yards and 11 TDs. Imagine if TM gets that in 2018... ppl will be singing his praises! His 987 yards rushing and 14 TDs weren't the result of him calling his own number too much, they were the result of him making the correct reads. Nobody thought TW was going to beat them alone, so they gave him a keep read (a la Clemson). He would also routinely carry it 4 straight times on the goal line, which every QB under CPJ has done by design (except when TB would spell JeT).

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer

BB/WR1 Combos

Probably 2015, but I don't think it would have made much of a difference to that years record.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
While I disagree that TW had a great supporting cast in 2011 and underperformed, I appreciate the time you took to back up your argument. (y)

I think the message has been mixed a little. I don't think TW really under performed in 2011. I don't think it was the best offense like has been claimed and I think he still had a lot of flaws (namely keeping it too often and his passing game) but he improved from 2010 and it was still a solid year and a good first step in the development process. It was 2012 that was the bad year and a big step back imo.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
2008-2009 Vic Koenning
2009-2012 Kevin Steele
2012-present Brent Venables

That's 3 mate.
Kevin steele drove baylor into the ground. I saw them play against texas tech - we left w 4 minutes to go in 2nd quarter. They were still running the same passive defense while behind 45 to 3.
He is a good talker (now under malzan who keeps tight rope) but i think we beat him twice.

Head coach and dc/oc must mesh. I know Ted was a strong willed guy but it was time for a change.
A semi successful agressive defense and a solid TO offense will be awesom

BB/WR1 Combos

BB/WR1 Combos

Thanks for the info.
At the dywer thomas orange bowl we had athletes that matched the talent of a top big 10 = Iowa. Dywer and thomas were our best and they had a great defensive lineman. Lots of good players.

Our talent levels has markedly declined compared to top teams.

It is what it is. Got to play with what we have.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
At the dywer thomas orange bowl we had athletes that matched the talent of a top big 10 = Iowa. Dywer and thomas were our best and they had a great defensive lineman. Lots of good players.

Our talent levels has markedly declined compared to top teams.
I think this is mainly a matter of experience and luck. The 2015 team was every bit as good talent-wise as 2009, but that, imho, was the result of not having anyone much injured seriously (except Laskey) and everyone being experienced. Since '14 we've had a lot of bad luck with injuries and players giving up on football, especially in the OL. If we had kept the 7 (count 'em) OLs we lost over the last three years and Jordan and Mills, we would not be having this conversation. All we have to do now is hope we come through spring without major injury and that the new OLs prove out.

I don't really think our talent levels – with the athletes we recruited – are much different then our opponents, except for Clemson. (And, maybe, Ugag, but I think next year tells the tale on them.) What we have to do is keep the key people healthy and on the field for a couple of years.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Extension was done more so for recruiting. Not many are going to commit to a coach that has 2 years left on his contract.
So with that logic johnson has an evergreen contract, he has to have at least 3 years left on his contract each season.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Just thinking about QBs development and stats. So you are a QB in a spread offense that throws the ball 70% of the time. Of that 70% 30% of your passes are 10 yards or more. The rest are bubble screens and smoke routes. Your completion percentage is 65%. N0w what if we said that a pitch in the option, which is comparable to a short pass, should be counted in your completion percentage......then our QBs are at around 75% completion rate. Just saying.
That kind of thinking/justification re: passing skills of TQ just makes me question a Tech fans sanity.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So with that logic johnson has an evergreen contract, he has to have at least 3 years left on his contract each season.

Mike Bobinski's comment regarding this was hilarious.

When the fans and press asked him why he was taking so long to renew CPJ (even after the big year in 2014) and how it might affect recruiting, Bobinski said something to the effect "Contracts don't affect recruiting...it's something the press makes up so they have something to write about."

Then out of the blue after a horrible year, Bobinski renewed Brian Gregory. When asked why, Sasquatch said "If GT doesn't renew CBG, he could have a hard time on the recruiting trail..." Okay. (n)

That guy...

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have a couple of thoughts and am feeling lazy so going to combine them into a single post.

— ON THE CONTRACT EXTENSION —

This still is the right thing in my mind. Many of you know I am a proponent of the offense we run, as well as CPJ. I won’t rehash all of the reasons I support him, but in summary I believe he runs a clean program focused on building better men through sport. The ultimate goal IMHO of college athletics and more important to me than a natty. He also correctly values winning and competition as the crucible he uses to build the players in his charge. I think he positions us to be competitive year in and year out and if we can finally get our resources marshaled then I believe we have championships left to win ahead of us.

Our recruiting is picking up and we are starting to get funding for additional staff and strategies so I am happy to see the extension in line with making a real push to improve our abilities to identify, attract and close the right guys for our program.

— ON QUARTERBACK DEVELOPMENT —

Most of our issues have been because of injuries and lack of consistency in our offensive line. People have already posted too many stay lines and cherry picked metrics on both sides but using the gut test does anyone really want to make the argument that a coach in CPJ’s position is not more capable at identifying the right QB to play at any given time? He has unfettered access to the players, sees their practice prep and progression, and is able to try different players and combinations under live fire at practice.

I just don’t believe he lacks the ability, drive or knowledge to develop his players. The more logical option to me is the obvious impact that untimely and compounding injuries have had on us over the last few years.

When this offense is healthy and clicking it is undeniable.

— WHERE WE GO FROM HERE —

I am fired up to see what CNW can do with our defense. I am firmly in the camp of giving up an extra score a game by gambling on intentionally aggressive and focused direction for the D. The offense can stay the course with 3 yards and a cloud of dust and with a dynamic attacking defense I think we will finally see what we enjoyed the first few great seasons under CPJ. Fear, loathing and self doubt from any unlucky foe who lines up against the boys in white and gold. Filled with the knowledge of their impending demise and the slow and brutal removal of their options as the gears grind against them.

— MOST IMPORTANTLY —

Am I the only one chomping at the bit to see some new adidas gear in these practice videos? July can’t get here soon enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk