CPJ Comments on Contract Extension

GTFLETCH

Banned
It’s worth noting that Dodd, who put a pretty good product on the field from 1945-1966, averaged 7.5 victories a season during his 22 years (10-game schedule). During his 10 seasons at Tech, Johnson also has averaged 7.5 victories per season (12-game schedule).

I wonder what Dodd would have avg if he played 12- games.... Or how many Wins CPJ would lose if he only played 10-Games... Either Way CPJ, Chan Gailey, George O'leary have been good for Tech.

GO- avg 7.4 wins per season
6-5
5-6
7-5
10-2
8-4
9-3
7-5

CG- avg 7.3 wins per season
7-6
7-6
7-5
7-5
9-5
7-5

CPJ- avg 7.6 wins per season
9-4
11-3
6-7
8-5
7-7
7-6
11-3
3-9
9-4
5-6

I will go on record I had no issues with GO I actually loved watching Joe Ham and the Goose, I enjoyed the QB development of those teams... I had no issue with Chan except we lost to UGA, could not beat Wake, and he never developed a QB...

CPJ I hated the way we lost the Peach and the OB in start...I liked winning the ACC in 09 and the OB in 2014... I have hated the last 3 years.. I am frustrated with CPJ and his revolving DC door and how poor our QB played last year. If anyone can turn it around it is CPJ. I hope he does and he get Tech in the CFP... However I am smart enough to know we can get another coach at Georgia Tech who can do what GO and Chan did maybe even better so Tech Football will not die when CPJ leaves like some of the posters here would have you think!!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
You are correct... if TM is named starting QB for 2018 I will have to quit calling him an ABACK... But lets not forget in 2015 TM was recruited to play AB and C. Campbell was recruited to play QB... Much like Jamal Golden... C. Campbell was converted to DB. We all know TM starting QB record last year(5-6, I will leave out completion % )

My original point is that Georgia Tech has an issue developing QBs Outside of ( N, and JeT who were talents) a few starters who were freakish talented...we have had poor QB play in the CPJ era.

For Example:
TM- 3 years in program (5-6, 37%)
MJ- 4 years in program (1-0)
LJ- 3 years in program...Crickets
TO- 3 years in Program...Crickets
Vad Lee - 3 years in program ...(7-6 and transfers)

Link
https://www.myajc.com/blog/georgia-...all-joins-back-charge/hymZfEYgUse1TjROfaeWFP/

Tobias is in his 2nd year not 3rd (and just starting his 2nd year).

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand why CPJ has a “revolving door of DCs” he’s been here for 10 years and is in DC #4. Cutcliffe has been at duke the same amount of time and is also on DC #4. It’s not like GT is changing DCs every year.

So we can agree that despite players CPJ offense will put up gaudy numbers.... However one can conclude that winning ACC titles and Orange Bowls takes more than great offensive numbers! I am assuming in 2009 and 2014 there was something more...

Heck Last year I think we were 5-6 and the 5th top rushing team in the nation....
We had a team chemistry and obvious team leaders in 2014, and probably 2009, that I never really saw last year.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I don’t understand why CPJ has a “revolving door of DCs” he’s been here for 10 years and is in DC #4. Cutcliffe has been at duke the same amount of time and is also on DC #4. It’s not like GT is changing DCs every year.
I am not sure why Georgia Tech Football would be compared to Duke Football...Makes zero sense to me!

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
My original point is that Georgia Tech has an issue developing QBs Outside of ( N, and JeT who were talents) a few starters who were freakish talented...we have had poor QB play in the CPJ era.

For Example:
TM- 3 years in program (5-6, 37%)
MJ- 4 years in program (1-0)
LJ- 3 years in program...Crickets
TO- 3 years in Program...Crickets
Vad Lee - 3 years in program ...(7-6 and transfers)

So your point is that GT can't develop QB talent, and aside from TM, your evidence is a guy who started 1 game, a guy who transferred, and two other guys who have one snap between them. OK.

We've had three distinct QB eras under CPJ: The JfN era, the TW era, and the JeT era. (If TM starts the entire season, then we can call it the TM era, and we cant judge it then). Of those three QB eras, which one would you say suffered from a lack of QB development?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Ok they're on DC #3. GT and Duke changed this offseason whereas Clemson did not. GT still not an outlier.
The question is why is Clemson on DC #3.... Is it because the DC is getting fired or because a College team wants them to improve their program..... Name one DC that left GT under CPJ for a HC job or was not blamed by CPJ for having poor defense....

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The question is why is Clemson on DC #3.... Is it because the DC is getting fired or because a College team wants them to improve their program..... Name one DC that left GT under CPJ for a HC job or was not blamed by CPJ for having poor defense....
You're changing the argument. The relationship upon leaving does not affect if it's a "revolving door" or not. We all follow GT football more closely than most GT fans and definitely more than other team's fans. We feel every announcement and stew on them. The opposite is true too though. We don't follow other teams anywhere near as closely as we do GT which means that we come up with these reasonings and rationales for small things from GT that we hear about while glossing over all the other small things from other teams.

I'm 99% sure that if you went to other fan bases and asked "hey does CPJ have a revolving door at DC? We've had 4 in 10 years." they'd all be like "lol no?"

GTFLETCH

Banned
You're changing the argument. The relationship upon leaving does not affect if it's a "revolving door" or not. We all follow GT football more closely than most GT fans and definitely more than other team's fans. We feel every announcement and stew on them. The opposite is true too though. We don't follow other teams anywhere near as closely as we do GT which means that we come up with these reasonings and rationales for small things from GT that we hear about while glossing over all the other small things from other teams.

I'm 99% sure that if you went to other fan bases and asked "hey does CPJ have a revolving door at DC? We've had 4 in 10 years." they'd all be like "lol no?"
Well the reason why the DC leaves is important... No One thinks less of Nick Saban because his Asst Coaches leave and his Coaching tree expands....
I think CPJ has a Coaching tree... B. Bohanan, Monken, Ken at Navy.... Just at GT it seems like the DC leave on less then great terms and for sure because of poor performance!

To say that CPJ and these DC are parting ways for anything other reasons than poor performance or poor working relationship would be an outright lie!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Well the reason why the DC leaves is important... No One thinks less of Nick Saban because his Asst Coaches leave and his Coaching tree expands....
I think CPJ has a Coaching tree... B. Bohanan, Monken, Ken at Navy.... Just at GT it seems like the DC leave on less then great terms and for sure because of poor performance!

To say that CPJ and these DC are parting ways for anything other reasons than poor performance or poor working relationship would be an outright lie!
Ok so instead of "Revolving door at DC" what you're really upset about is "DCs don't seem to be world beaters and that's CPJ's fault for changing them when something becomes too toxic to continue"

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
So your point is that GT can't develop QB talent, and aside from TM, your evidence is a guy who started 1 game, a guy who transferred, and two other guys who have one snap between them. OK.

We've had three distinct QB eras under CPJ: The JfN era, the TW era, and the JeT era. (If TM starts the entire season, then we can call it the TM era, and we cant judge it then). Of those three QB eras, which one would you say suffered from a lack of QB development?

Below is a list of ESPN "Total QBR Ratings" for Tech primary QB's each year under CPJ. Seems that, in virtually every year but 2015, our QBs have improved the longer they have been in the system:
08 - Nesbitt - 44.8
09 - Nesbitt - 59.7
10 - Washington - 49.8
11 - Washington - 55.1
12 - Washington - 71.0
13 - Vad Lee - 47.1 (Byerly 93.6 :D)
14 - Thomas 83.8 (Byerly 98.4 :D)
15 - Thomas - 39.4
16 - Thomas 78.2
17 - Marshall - 64.1
18 - Marshall - ?

GTFLETCH

Banned
2008-2009 Vic Koenning
2009-2012 Kevin Steele
2012-present Brent Venables

That's 3 mate.
Ok... I will agree with 2.. As Vic Koenning was with Tommy Bowden... and while Dabo was IHC starting in Oct 2008... He was not named Head Coach until December 1, 2008. His first game as the full-time head coach was the 2009 Gator Bowl. Vic Koenning was hired by KState on December 8, 2008...

So that would be two DC for Dabo...

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ok... I will agree with 2.. As Vic Koenning was with Tommy Bowden... and while Dabo was IHC starting in Oct 2008... He was not named Head Coach until December 1, 2008. His first game as the full-time head coach was the 2009 Gator Bowl. Vic Koenning was hired by KState on December 8, 2008...

So that would be two DC for Dabo...
If that's true, then there are no ACC head coaches who were hired for the 2008 season who is still in the same position.