Clemson postgame

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Before anyone bitches about CPJ not taking blame, listen to the post game comments and save the rest of us from BS comments.
I like CPJ Taking blame = Yes
Next step the most important one Doing something about it = waiting ( I really hope he does this is the worse I have seem the ACC hate to miss out on that opportunity )

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Coastal is wide open. Virginia Tech and Miami both lost their Quarterbacks today. Both teams nearly lost to nobodies...Virginia Tech did. Louisville lost 27-3 to a terrible Virginia team. Putt lost to a terrible UNC team.

1 game at a time. 2/3rds of the season is left and we can win a lot of games. There are some bad teams in our division. No reason we can’t be the team to find a way to beat them. They’re all looking around like WTF too.
Dude, you are delusional. What about this team gives you impression that we can even win a tight game, let alone the division? We are playing as bad as I’ve ever seen us play right now.

Deleted member 2897

Dude, you are delusional. What about this team gives you impression that we can even win a tight game, let alone the division? We are playing as bad as I’ve ever seen us play right now.

We lost to Clemson. Virginia Tech lost to Old Dominion.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ok. I’m frustrated. But like a good Stoic, ...

• Tennessee.... with all of its fans, all of its facilities, all of its merchandising ... will likely win only 4 games. They had a terrible 1H last night.
  • Ole Miss ... I watched Alabama deconstruct Ole Miss live. And yes, the stadium was full at game time and half empty at the half.
  • LSU .. my niece attends there. Same thing. Except for big games, she says the stands are empty by the 3rd quarter.
We suck right now. But I’m convinced that it’s going to get fixed. Things are happening, they just aren’t happening on the field.

The one thing we truly need help on is our dysfunction. Tech separates the Hill from the GTAA in every possible way. Other schools celebrate as one unit. The team is the lens through which the school is seen. We could do a massively better job organizing our diaspora of an alumni base if we did.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Interesting .... other programs are equally pissed.

Texas A+M - Jimbo Fisher: 2-2 (0-1 SEC)

Nebraska - Scott Frost: 0-3

UCLA - Chip Kelly: 0-3

Florida State - Willie Taggart 2-2 (0-2 ACC)

Arkansas - Chad Morris 1-3 (0-1 SEC)

Arizona - Kevin Sumlin 2-2 (1-0 PAC12)

And one NFL team just because:
Oakland Raiders - Jon Gruden 0-2

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Lebatard and Stugotz were making fun of us on national radio last week for having a "fat punter". I wanted to call in and light them up lol, but I figured bad publicity is good publicity. They also said we ran The Amish Offense.

I can’t stand listening to those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has been blaming coaching staff for the last few weeks now. Just my opinion for discussion, the hot seat should be for:
1. CPJ. We are regressing in more ways than one.
2. The quarterback coach. I think Patrick Nix could do a better job.
3. Both of the offensive line coaches. One has been here too long and the other is not impressive.
4. The receiver's coach (yes we have one). Good lord can we get any worse?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the defensive staff gets a little break here. I see a very small glimmer of hope. It won't happen this year. The DL plays better than last year and the effort from the DBs looks OK. We've got to get larger, faster, stronger linebackers, in fact the whole defensive unit has to get stronger. Got to figure out how to keep them focused after half-time.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can't believe I'm saying this, but the defensive staff gets a little break here. I see a very small glimmer of hope. It won't happen this year. The DL plays better than last year and the effort from the DBs looks OK. We've got to get larger, faster, stronger linebackers, in fact the whole defensive unit has to get stronger. Got to figure out how to keep them focused after half-time.

One other thing to add to the wish list: receivers with the speed to separate. Clemson's CB's were standing directly across the LOS and then running stride for stride with our guys. It was apparent immediately that there was no over the top support required from the safeties. We need at least one receiver (Smelter, Thomas, etc.) that gives the safeties something to worry about. we have lost the ability to hit the 1-3 long down the field throws per game that softened things up for other areas. And pass blocking enters into this discussion as well.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
One other thing to add to the wish list: receivers with the speed to separate. Clemson's CB's were standing directly across the LOS and then running stride for stride with our guys. It was apparent immediately that there was no over the top support required from the safeties. We need at least one receiver (Smelter, Thomas, etc.) that gives the safeties something to worry about. we have lost the ability to hit the 1-3 long down the field throws per game that softened things up for other areas. And pass blocking enters into this discussion as well.
Been saying that for a while. We need a speed burner at WR. Great to have big strong guys but without separation you have to out muscle the DB. We get separation when the D breaks down on a missed assignment. We really struggle when we are in obvious passing situations. With marginally bad pass blocking anyway those long routes take too much time to develope and DL gets into the backfield.

slugboy

Staff member
Been saying that for a while. We need a speed burner at WR. Great to have big strong guys but without separation you have to out muscle the DB. We get separation when the D breaks down on a missed assignment. We really struggle when we are in obvious passing situations. With marginally bad pass blocking anyway those long routes take too much time to develope and DL gets into the backfield.

Our burner guys are at A-back, or that’s where they’re supposed to be, and we can split them out like “traditional” receivers

Clemson has an amazing D line, but we didn’t block that well against Pitt or USF, so it’s not just the opponent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t expect to win, but we completely played ourselves out of the game in the first half. That game could have been tied or at least very close at halftime. Instead we fumbled like five times in the first quarter and made it impossible to compete.

Our offense looks completely inept right now. There were several plays where like seven defenders beat their blocks and are running down the TO on the outside. Look man, they’re good...NFL good...but that’s like our entire O line whiffing on their blocks on the same play. You gotta at least get in their way and slow them down. Also, the A backs and receivers are not on the same page as the QB...bad pitch relationships, incorrect routes, etc. How is that even possible with this many upperclassmen on the offense? To me they just look unprepared every week. Pretty disappointing.
The short answer, I am afraid, is that the team has completely lost its focus. That almost indefinable quality and mindset that drives one to compete on every play. That is on the coaches, all of them, and for the first time despite all the squealing on message boards through the years, I think Johnson is vulnerable. One does not have to be in the anti-Johnson camp to know that yesterday's performance was beyond humbling. Stacked atop the first three games, it seems unarguable that in Johnson's 11th year, this is a troubled football program, and I see no path out. I see that Johnson accepts the blame, a welcome change from his temper tantrum after South Florida, and make no mistake: Clemson is a powerful football team that is going to be right there at the end. (Those defensive line shifts before the snap really messed up Marshall's mind and wrecked the dive option. ) All that as a given, it is Johnson's football team, and right now, a very bad football team.

Animal02

Banned
My biggest complaints about CPJ are pretty straight forward. The first being consistent throughout his career and the second rearing it's ugly head this year.
1. Loyal to a fault. I don't care if it's a senior or your best coaching bud of 30+ years. If they are not performing at the level they should. Move on. If this continues to not change through rest of year that's a fireable offense by itself.
2. Fundamentals. I'm not sure what happened this year and why look so sloppy offensively. Clean it up or get out.
I have know clue why the arm chair coaches insist that the players are put on the field are not the ones that put the team in the best position to win as opposed to loyalty.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
  • LSU .. my niece attends there. Same thing. Except for big games, she says the stands are empty by the 3rd quarter.
To be fair, since I am a closet LSU fan myself, when LSU fans leave at halftime it is to go to the parties on and around campus, where les bonne temps roullez! Give me a choice between football and sex and...well...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
2 teams play bad. 2 sets of fans think the season is over and we can’t beat anybody. 1 team lost their QB and played Old Dominion while the other played Clemson. In a world where everyone wonders if they can win another game on their schedule, I think it’s a bit short sighted on our side.
One thing about VT it has never been know as a good offensive team, defense yes. But even without their QB their defense gave up 49 points. ( unless you are GT as some think I don't see how the QB lost the game )

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I think this is huge. With no help needed to cover our wides, everyone else can play the option. Even if we could block, there are always too many defenders running to the ball.