Clemson postgame

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Interesting .... other programs are equally pissed.

Texas A+M - Jimbo Fisher: 2-2 (0-1 SEC)

Nebraska - Scott Frost: 0-3

UCLA - Chip Kelly: 0-3

Florida State - Willie Taggart 2-2 (0-2 ACC)

Arkansas - Chad Morris 1-3 (0-1 SEC)

Arizona - Kevin Sumlin 2-2 (1-0 PAC12)

And one NFL team just because:
Oakland Raiders - Jon Gruden 0-2

This is all well and good but I do not think a single coach referenced there is in year 11 where they are.

I think CPJ is going to double down on his system without any thought of its effectiveness now; or it’s negative impact on recruiting.

If we improve on fundamentals, it will be due to playing a weak schedule as much as coaching.

It will be interesting to see if the team can be motivated to play an ENTIRE game competently on O, D, and S/T.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is all well and good but I do not think a single coach referenced there is in year 11 where they are.

I think CPJ is going to double down on his system without any thought of its effectiveness now; or it’s negative impact on recruiting.

If we improve on fundamentals, it will be due to playing a weak schedule as much as coaching.

It will be interesting to see if the team can be motivated to play an ENTIRE game competently on O, D, and S/T.

You are correct. This should not be happening in Year 11. Totally agree.

Deleted member 2897

You are correct. This should not be happening in Year 11. Totally agree.

Clemson is an elite defense. BUT, they did largely the same thing against us every year. We finally looked to have a plan on the first drive. But then TaQuon left the game hurt 60 yards into our first drive and everything seemed to go downhill after that.

Our rushing actually wasn’t too bad. Those 8 fumbles subtracted about 80 yards from our rushing total. We had about 280 yards of offense minus the fumbles which is one of our better showings in recent memory. But we still shoot ourselves too much, which shows a lack of discipline, coaching, preparation, and almost a fear of their speed at tines.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Good point. Heck, 2014 JT was better than 2015 & 2016 JT. Players don't seem to improve much in CPJ's system.
I don't think JT actually got worse, his supporting cast did. It's different when you have 2 NFL receivers and a fantastic O line. In 15 he was injured all year but couldn't afford to sit because Byerly was out for the season. In 16 he was still really good, although not quite 14 level.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I have know clue why the arm chair coaches insist that the players are put on the field are not the ones that put the team in the best position to win as opposed to loyalty.

And I have no clue why some football coaches can't see what is obvious to most arm chair coaches. The best example - Nick Saban let the best QB in college ride the bench until the 2nd half of the NC game. If Nick Saban can make bad decisions - that are so obviously wrong, so can Paul Johnson.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
The short answer, I am afraid, is that the team has completely lost its focus. That almost indefinable quality and mindset that drives one to compete on every play. That is on the coaches, all of them, and for the first time despite all the squealing on message boards through the years, I think Johnson is vulnerable. One does not have to be in the anti-Johnson camp to know that yesterday's performance was beyond humbling. Stacked atop the first three games, it seems unarguable that in Johnson's 11th year, this is a troubled football program, and I see no path out. I see that Johnson accepts the blame, a welcome change from his temper tantrum after South Florida, and make no mistake: Clemson is a powerful football team that is going to be right there at the end. (Those defensive line shifts before the snap really messed up Marshall's mind and wrecked the dive option. ) All that as a given, it is Johnson's football team, and right now, a very bad football team.

To me it looks like they are focused but lack the confidence or ability to make plays. Rarely have I seen a game in the CPJ era where they tackle well- they are usually in position to make a tackle but can’t finish it (many plays multiple players miss). Would love to see a stat that shows yards gained after missed tackles.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Amazing to me that in the same week that a Supreme Court nominee is on the defensive for accusations of sexual assault, a Georgia Tech football thread -- football -- stoops to juvenile pretend humor level. Maybe moderators could limit sports bar and locker room taunts to sports bars and locker rooms.

"accusations" that are totally without merit, with no corroborating evidence, no witnesses, with no clear goal but the political assassination of a man nominated to the Supreme Court who has been vetted at least a half a dozen times by the FBI for other judicial appointments.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And I have no clue why some football coaches can't see what is obvious to most arm chair coaches. The best example - Nick Saban let the best QB in college ride the bench until the 2nd half of the NC game. If Nick Saban can make bad decisions - that are so obviously wrong, so can Paul Johnson.

Maybe. Hurts lead them to 26-2. But, he was really Lane Kiffin’s project. Without Lane, Jalen has struggled. Saban didn’t want him to transfer, so it’s a somewhat messed up situation there now. Tua is better under the new OC.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The short answer, I am afraid, is that the team has completely lost its focus. That almost indefinable quality and mindset that drives one to compete on every play. That is on the coaches, all of them, and for the first time despite all the squealing on message boards through the years, I think Johnson is vulnerable. One does not have to be in the anti-Johnson camp to know that yesterday's performance was beyond humbling. Stacked atop the first three games, it seems unarguable that in Johnson's 11th year, this is a troubled football program, and I see no path out. I see that Johnson accepts the blame, a welcome change from his temper tantrum after South Florida, and make no mistake: Clemson is a powerful football team that is going to be right there at the end. (Those defensive line shifts before the snap really messed up Marshall's mind and wrecked the dive option. ) All that as a given, it is Johnson's football team, and right now, a very bad football team.

The main thing this team "lacks" is talent but that is not going to be corrected any time soon.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
2018-09-23 09.29.41.jpg
another poster mentioned the amount of coachea on their side line's in another post.
I took this picture pregame from our seats.
Look at all the orange shirts on the field.
It's amazing what their budget it's paying for.
They have to have one bus dedicated to coaches hahahaha (TIC)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
2 teams play bad. 2 sets of fans think the season is over and we can’t beat anybody. 1 team lost their QB and played Old Dominion while the other played Clemson. In a world where everyone wonders if they can win another game on their schedule, I think it’s a bit short sighted on our side.
49 points is a lot to give up guess this was the week Foster was using to practice for the 3O :)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 4189 another poster mentioned the amount of coachea on their side line's in another post.
I took this picture pregame from our seats.
Look at all the orange shirts on the field.
It's amazing what their budget it's paying for.
They have to have one bus dedicated to coaches hahahaha (TIC)

That’s why TStan needs a $100M budget.

I’m amazed how Atlanta United came out of nowhere and built a fan base. I’m almost inclined to move some games to Mercedes-Benz where we can get drinks and see if attendance improves.

I just read an article on what fans expect today ... and BDS is woefully behind. In many areas.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
That’s why TStan needs a $100M budget.

I’m amazed how Atlanta United came out of nowhere and built a fan base. I’m almost inclined to move some games to Mercedes-Benz where we can get drinks and see if attendance improves.

I just read an article on what fans expect today ... and BDS is woefully behind. In many areas.
What would it take to reach 100M?
Just curious. Our realize our Alum have deep pockets, but what will it take to get them to give?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Been saying that for a while. We need a speed burner at WR. Great to have big strong guys but without separation you have to out muscle the DB. We get separation when the D breaks down on a missed assignment. We really struggle when we are in obvious passing situations. With marginally bad pass blocking anyway those long routes take too much time to develope and DL gets into the backfield.
I don’t think it’s that we need a burner, it’s the fact that we have a simple route tree and we really don’t make moves much in our routes which I don’t understand.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
"accusations" that are totally without merit, with no corroborating evidence, no witnesses, with no clear goal but the political assassination of a man nominated to the Supreme Court who has been vetted at least a half a dozen times by the FBI for other judicial appointments.
Whoa. Go to a neutral corner and remove the gloves. You're an attitude hunting a fight. My concern is the level of discussion and maturity on a football board that should not involve juvenile sexual insults. You're argument is something for another forum if folks want to get into it online. I have enough trouble with football.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
The main thing this team "lacks" is talent but that is not going to be corrected any time soon.

On this topic, if you haven’t read Chris Kirschner’s column last night in The Athletic, he hit the nail on the head. In case you don’t subscribe, here’s an excerpt:

If it does come down to recruiting, Johnson doesn’t like to admit that the Yellow Jackets haven’t been too successful at it the past few years, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

In the past four years, Georgia Tech has ranked 54th, 48th, 60th and 44th in the team recruiting rankings. Prior to the season, Johnson told The Athletic that he doesn’t “give two ****s” about recruiting rankings. He should, however, because it’s usually a solid indicator of how successful a team is going to be.

Here’s a thought: If Johnson is going to tell the media in postgame news conferences how the players need to care more, maybe he should care a little more about recruiting better talent so he doesn’t have to rely on his teams playing a nearly flawless game to have a chance to win against a clearly more talented football team. does come down to recruiting, Johnson doesn’t like to admit that the Yellow Jackets haven’t been too successful at it the past few years, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk