Clemson postgame

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think he’s saying those other teams look equally bad and in return all the games should be toss ups.
Maybe, but to win the division we’d probably have to win every one of them. We could maybe lose one more (maybe Louisville to keep the division record looking good) and then manage some screwed up tiebreaker if everyone else sucks too, but 5-3 still probably ain’t gonna do it.

So does anyone really think we are about to reel off 7 straight wins? I just can’t see any scenario where that happens.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m amazed how Atlanta United came out of nowhere and built a fan base. I’m almost inclined to move some games to Mercedes-Benz where we can get drinks and see if attendance improves.
I might be with you if United's awesome fanbase had not been almost entirely cultivated while they were playing at Grant Field.

Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Whoa. Go to a neutral corner and remove the gloves. You're an attitude hunting a fight. My concern is the level of discussion and maturity on a football board that should not involve juvenile sexual insults. You're argument is something for another forum if folks want to get into it online. I have enough trouble with football.

An "attitude hunting a fight" showing more "fight " than the listless display of football we saw on Grant Field Saturday to be sure. Imagine a game against our biggest ACC rival and the stands are nearly half filled with opponent fans, our team showing all the signs of no discipline, no accountability, players that looked out of shape, etc. It is enough to make one believe a made up yarn from 36 years ago.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Maybe, but to win the division we’d probably have to win every one of them. We could maybe lose one more (maybe Louisville to keep the division record looking good) and then manage some screwed up tiebreaker if everyone else sucks too, but 5-3 still probably ain’t gonna do it.

So does anyone really think we are about to reel off 7 straight wins? I just can’t see any scenario where that happens.

A more likely scenario, though still far fetched is to reel off 7 more losses. I can see where this team could go winless in conference play and lose to UGA by 4 or 5 touchdowns. Hyperbole? Perhaps, but it looks that bad.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
On this topic, if you haven’t read Chris Kirschner’s column last night in The Athletic, he hit the nail on the head. In case you don’t subscribe, here’s an excerpt:

If it does come down to recruiting, Johnson doesn’t like to admit that the Yellow Jackets haven’t been too successful at it the past few years, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

In the past four years, Georgia Tech has ranked 54th, 48th, 60th and 44th in the team recruiting rankings. Prior to the season, Johnson told The Athletic that he doesn’t “give two ****s” about recruiting rankings. He should, however, because it’s usually a solid indicator of how successful a team is going to be.

Here’s a thought: If Johnson is going to tell the media in postgame news conferences how the players need to care more, maybe he should care a little more about recruiting better talent so he doesn’t have to rely on his teams playing a nearly flawless game to have a chance to win against a clearly more talented football team. does come down to recruiting, Johnson doesn’t like to admit that the Yellow Jackets haven’t been too successful at it the past few years, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any football program. If Coach Johnson did indeed say that, then he needs to be shown the door. Almost all of our problems stem from the recruiting rankings that you quote. It was true in Heisman's time, it was true in Alexander's time, it was true in Dodd's time and remains so today. Job one for any college football coach is to recruit talented players at whatever level you aspire to be best in. In our case, power 5 conferences require minimum 3 stars with lots of 4 and an occasional 5 star. We are not getting them and until that is remedied things will continue as before.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What was good, well we opened up good. Drive and 2 3 and outs.
Bad simple 9 fumbles. No team in America can win with 9 fumbles. Understand we only lost 1, for 7 points, but the other 8 were a lot of negative yards. Is that coaching, no, that is player concentration.

Also as a side not, Dabo did not show a lot of class. 6 minutes to go and he puts back in the entire 1st team to run up the score.

What is next, the schedule softens for 2 games. Then let's see what we do with Duke. We should be 3-3 at that point, that is unless we continue to fumble.

Also like Oliver. I think it is time for 2 quarterbacks.
Swinney doesn't have a rep for piling on. But more than one coach has put his best back in when he sees a momentum shift, and there was one ever so slight there, so he gets a pass. If he wanted to run up the score, he would have had that QB padding his numbers all game. And make no mistake what we saw yesterday was the coming out of Clemson's next Sunday QB. That is a big league arm, and when he can run to his left and throw a rope across his body into Renfrow in the corner, well. I actually thought we had decent coverage on the guy.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
I was a wee bit surprised when Swinney put the starting offense back in after Tech got the score to 21-42, but didn't consider it "piling on." Tech hadn't given up at 7-42, and Dabo certainly didn't want to see unfold the possibility of Tech, for example, cutting the score to 28-42 with three or four minutes left, within an onside kick recovery of things getting too surprisingly uncomfortable. Would've been very highly unlikely, but -- weird things happen, so don't let 'em.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
From his presser, Coach doesn't seem very happy with the QB coaching and is going to be more hands on with it. If Johnson is back next year I kind of feel Candeto might be out and Cook might be back next year with the QBs.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The punter is great.

You have to be at the game to get the full effect.

He should have had one downed at the 5. It w as s very very high a d the coverage was good except the cover guy did not look up as he ran into the endzone.

If it had hit him he would have made a blooper reel. As it was it was a mental error.

Love the punter. He could start on Clemson.

Ice,
great point on downing the punt at 5.I watched 2 other games right after us and BOTH did catch the ball on 1 yd line.It has been YEARS since I've seen us do that .PATHETIC coaching.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
From his presser, Coach doesn't seem very happy with the QB coaching and is going to be more hands on with it. If Johnson is back next year I kind of feel Candeto might be out and Cook might be back next year with the QBs.

I was about to post this. CPJ was a lot more vocal this time around about his own frustrations coaching, but how he just isn't seeing the fundamental development from TQM. Some of it is coaching, but just looking back, TQM has been regressing a lot and really hasn't matured like our previous option quarter backs. I'm glad to see he is frustrated and flat out saying that there will be changes in coaching and possibly in the QB position.
I'm not giving CPJ a pass, but I want to see the pressure put on him to make changes where needed. If he still cant fix it at the end of the season, then its just not good for him to continue here

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any football program. If Coach Johnson did indeed say that, then he needs to be shown the door. Almost all of our problems stem from the recruiting rankings that you quote. It was true in Heisman's time, it was true in Alexander's time, it was true in Dodd's time and remains so today. Job one for any college football coach is to recruit talented players at whatever level you aspire to be best in. In our case, power 5 conferences require minimum 3 stars with lots of 4 and an occasional 5 star. We are not getting them and until that is remedied things will continue as before.

So according to this theory, all of our coaches had no business coaching as we have had the same recruiting rankings since they started ranking.
We have never had a 5 star.
We have never had lots of 4 stars.

We never will unless we become Georgia with our academics.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
On this topic, if you haven’t read Chris Kirschner’s column last night in The Athletic, he hit the nail on the head. In case you don’t subscribe, here’s an excerpt:

If it does come down to recruiting, Johnson doesn’t like to admit that the Yellow Jackets haven’t been too successful at it the past few years, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

In the past four years, Georgia Tech has ranked 54th, 48th, 60th and 44th in the team recruiting rankings. Prior to the season, Johnson told The Athletic that he doesn’t “give two ****s” about recruiting rankings. He should, however, because it’s usually a solid indicator of how successful a team is going to be.

Here’s a thought: If Johnson is going to tell the media in postgame news conferences how the players need to care more, maybe he should care a little more about recruiting better talent so he doesn’t have to rely on his teams playing a nearly flawless game to have a chance to win against a clearly more talented football team. does come down to recruiting, Johnson doesn’t like to admit that the Yellow Jackets haven’t been too successful at it the past few years, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the reasons that he doesn't care about rankings is that a FEW of his good players have actually been ranked low. Lynch,PJ davis, the DT from Australia, etc --that explains the low rankings- BS
- even that is SO SO over-ridden by the loss/leakage of players EARLY before their eligibility was up due to EVERYTHING.(think we could use Marcus Marshall now?)

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I have know clue why the arm chair coaches insist that the players are put on the field are not the ones that put the team in the best position to win as opposed to loyalty.
My concern is not that he constantly plays the wrong players. He sees them every day and he does make the decision he feels is right. They That comment is more in regards to a certain coach and really one player that stands out. If the younger, more athletic player is worse. Well we are in for much worse in the coming years .at least from that position.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have the same impression and when I was listening, I wondered if Candeto was hired for his skill set -- he was Johnson's QB -- or for his allegiance. Johnson has hired other former Navy players and while there is the advantage that they "know" the offense, and Candeto certainly for his experience in handling "the mesh", which I am told is almost like a practiced dance step, otherwise the QB and RB would go sprawling. But we have all known, at work or in sports, the man or woman who was incredibly good in a job ... and inept in teaching it. It's why great natural athletes typically don't make good coaches, and why a Saban or a Belichick might. Or why a Swinney, who did not possess great skill but limitless determination, can produce a Clemson program. Regardless, if Johnson has to get personally involved in coaching the QBs, then somebody isn't doing his job.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Ice,
great point on downing the punt at 5.I watched 2 other games right after us and BOTH did catch the ball on 1 yd line.It has been YEARS since I've seen us do that .PATHETIC coaching.
the impression I got they are coach to go down and look for the ball in essence turn around and look up and see if they can catch it. Obviously he didn't.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member

Wanted to confirm, the quote refers to recruiting rankings right? Because there is a significant difference between "recruiting matters" and "recruiting rankings matter". I'd like to see a head coach come out and say something to the effect of "recruiting rankings matter, we look at it everyday to determine who we offer".

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
This really is simple... It's a talent issue, period. The passing game is not a threat, the entire defense needs upgrades, and the Oline needs upgrades.

Look at next year's team and see if these issues are addressed. I really think they are.

The 3-4 requires a lot of speed and talent... That's why teams who don't have a lot of speed and talent run the 3-3-5 or the 4-2-5.

Lucas Johnson, Tobias Oliver, and the new guy are all better passers than TQM.

Don't make the Nebraska mistake.... Stay the course.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I was a wee bit surprised when Swinney put the starting offense back in after Tech got the score to 21-42, but didn't consider it "piling on." Tech hadn't given up at 7-42, and Dabo certainly didn't want to see unfold the possibility of Tech, for example, cutting the score to 28-42 with three or four minutes left, within an onside kick recovery of things getting too surprisingly uncomfortable. Would've been very highly unlikely, but -- weird things happen, so don't let 'em.
The coach of my son's HS basketball team told me, when I asked him that question after he put three of his starters back in what seemed to be a safe win even as the other guys were closing it a bit with their starters, "When they quit, I'll quit. " Makes sense.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I was about to post this. CPJ was a lot more vocal this time around about his own frustrations coaching, but how he just isn't seeing the fundamental development from TQM. Some of it is coaching, but just looking back, TQM has been regressing a lot and really hasn't matured like our previous option quarter backs. I'm glad to see he is frustrated and flat out saying that there will be changes in coaching and possibly in the QB position.
I'm not giving CPJ a pass, but I want to see the pressure put on him to make changes where needed. If he still cant fix it at the end of the season, then its just not good for him to continue here

What was it that turned things around for Joe Ham? Was it something Friedge did?