Clemson postgame

Rozier24

Georgia Tech Fan
2 teams play bad. 2 sets of fans think the season is over and we can’t beat anybody. 1 team lost their QB and played Old Dominion while the other played Clemson. In a world where everyone wonders if they can win another game on their schedule, I think it’s a bit short sighted on our side.

The question was what makes you think this team can win a close game? I have been a huge CPJ supporter but the teams 3 out of the last 4 years look totally unprepared and not executing basic fundamentals. If these were underclassmen I would be patient but if seniors can execute a basic pitch, what have they been working on for the last 4-5 years.

I dont blame the SAs, it comes down to coaching, plain and simple.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think it’s that we need a burner, it’s the fact that we have a simple route tree and we really don’t make moves much in our routes which I don’t understand.
Speed receivers require attention of a safety and doesn't allow them to cheat up as much. Corners have to give space. RunnING good routes is important but we don't have a QB that can go through progressions very well. Of course he doesn't get much time either in this offense. My biggest gripe in this O is our inept passing and it has been this way most of the time under this coach. JT was the exception. Vad had some moments but never was really comfortable in this O. Once he realized how little passing was going to happen and that hit he took against UNC it was time to move on.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
From his presser, Coach doesn't seem very happy with the QB coaching and is going to be more hands on with it. If Johnson is back next year I kind of feel Candeto might be out and Cook might be back next year with the QBs.
I feel like that isn’t the first time he’s said that though. He should’ve done that months ago imo

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I feel like that isn’t the first time he’s said that though. He should’ve done that months ago imo
Wasn't that what he said after 2015? It wouldn't happen again. Unfortunately it's happening and he hasn't made any big changes with his O staff. We have one really good recruiter in coach Mac and lots of teams would love to have him.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The question was what makes you think this team can win a close game? I have been a huge CPJ supporter but the teams 3 out of the last 4 years look totally unprepared and not executing basic fundamentals. If these were underclassmen I would be patient but if seniors can execute a basic pitch, what have they been working on for the last 4-5 years.

Well, now in fairness. The fumble is on the player. The bad pitch is on the player. The bad snap is on the player. They know better. They are coached better. I would agree their heads did not appear to be in the game, and that is coaching. But eight times on the ground? My lord, if I remember correctly Johnson's first spring game at Tech had eight fumbles. And they had seen the offense 20 minutes. Saturday was hands and eyes and the players.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
During a late timeout huddle i noticed candedo and coach speaking frankly to each other.

Earkier Ditto Parker and coach as parker headed off field.

This was a tough game and emotions were high. GREAT!

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Reading these responses, I’m confused as to what people were expecting from today. We lost to the #2 team in the country, not Old Dominion. Some of y’all need to get some perspective.
Fumbling snaps had nothing to do with their ranking....it really got my goat... how is that possible to occur multiple times...

Deleted member 2897

That's exactly what all the other teams fans are asking. So someone's going to win. Might as well be us.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I re-watched the game. My observations:

- Clemson is really really good. Ridiculous defense and among the best defensive lines I can remember.

- Both of Clemson's QB (but especially the freshman) are legit.

- Clemson's defense had a lot to do with some the sloppiness on offense. I don't think that happens against a normal defense.

- Our defense did some good things out there in spite of giving up some points.

- We played well enough to beat some decent teams on Saturday.

Sorry - this game wasn't the fire-the-coach and rip down the stadium game that everyone seems to think it was.

/

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

- Clemson is really really good. Ridiculous defense and among the best defensive lines I can remember.

- Both of Clemson's QB (but especially the freshman) are legit.

- Clemson's defense had a lot to do with some the sloppiness on offense. I don't think that happens against a normal defense.

- Our defense did some good things out there in spite of giving up some points.

- We played well enough to beat some decent teams on Saturday.

Sorry - this game wasn't the fire-the-coach and rip down the stadium game that everyone seems to think it was.

/
I will say that I thought our defense actually got a few more "hurries" on the Clemson QB's than I can remember us getting....we couldn't stop 'em though.

2016Cat

Georgia Tech Fan
As a Clemson fan I can say we have felt like you guys have. Being around Clemson football after the Ford years was unsettling and our fan base was ready to get rid of Hatfoeld, West, and then Bowden. I remember all the criticism Dabo took before he built up our program. Hope you get things turned around.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
20180923_175519.jpg
I will up load some pictures of the first fumbles- to me most of these if they were forward passes would be called incompletions. All that follow show Clemson w great defensive position.
bb hit as he caught pitch
22 and 1 had off target pitches.

With a little less pressure all could go our way.

20180923_172816.jpg
20180923_174951.jpg

Attachments

• 20180923_175519.jpg
    20180923_175519.jpg
    876.9 KB · Views: 31

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From the post game... pretty much sums it all up.
“Upfront, they’re better than we are,” Johnson said. “Not close. That comes back to us recruiting. We knew that. Anybody who watched the game knew that. So that means we have to do things right.”

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
So i was on a Cub Scout campout with no cell coverage and happily missed this whole fiasco. I know Clemsons Def had their way with us, but i was wondering if our Def is showing any signs of improvement yet? My friend who watched the game said our guys never quit and showed a lot of heart and effort, What other positives can we take from this game? The score doesn’t upset me too bad because i think Clemon would beat 90% of the teams in college fb just as bad.

GT_EE78

Banned

/
Yes,Clemson is good. If this meant that the USF game is the #1 reason to "fire the coach" , pitt the #2 reason to "fire the coach" and clemson game at the #3 reason to "fire the coach" then i think we're in agreement, but " ripping down the stadium" would be an extreme measure for getting CPJ to leave, i sure hope it doesn't come to that.....

rozier.bryan

Georgia Tech Fan
Well, now in fairness. The fumble is on the player. The bad pitch is on the player. The bad snap is on the player. They know better. They are coached better. I would agree their heads did not appear to be in the game, and that is coaching. But eight times on the ground? My lord, if I remember correctly Johnson's first spring game at Tech had eight fumbles. And they had seen the offense 20 minutes. Saturday was hands and eyes and the players.

Sure the players share in the responsibility, but at what point is the coach accountable? If he isn't developing the player to become the best they can be then what is the role of a coach....just calling plays?