Clemson postgame

Matt E

GT Athlete
Jerry Howard showed flashes last year. Non existent this year and looks smaller

This is part of my question with the program also that very few mention: what are we doing in the Stregth and Conditioning department? We seem to have guys that fail to add good weight, speed or explosiveness as they get older. I’d argue we have a few that have added bad weight

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There is something off with this team. Lack of focus, lack of energy, lack of fun. Maybe it's coaching, maybe it's lack of confidence in schemes, but something isn't right. No doubt we were outgunned today, but there's no excuse for Pitt and USF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's called "Lack of talent"

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ’s playcalling has been borderline awful the last season and four games. It’s clear he has to call a neutered version of his offense for TM’s sake, so my question is simply this: why is he still playing?

Not blaming the kid. It’s not his fault he’s been put in this position. Poor coaching and poor leadership. Good leaders put people in places to succeed, not to fail. TM has tried his best and I appreciate that all, but CPJ shouldn’t have put the poor kid in this situation.

And if no other QB’s can run the offense any better, what the hell is coach “coaching” them?

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I was not happy with the lack of urgency when we were down 3 scores in the second half.
- we were taking 30 seconds off the play clock.
- we ran BB up the middle
- sending every play in via AB and not having 2 plays called to help save clock time

I can't imagine ANY team doing these things. Bad coaching IMHO.

I agree, except that what most teams do when they have a sense of urgency is pass the ball, and we can’t do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Only a Tech fan would find a way to complain about the fact we might make the ACC Championship game.

I’m sorry, but there is no such thing as complaining about what we “might” do. If we do it, and people complain, then you have something to criticize.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is the biggest BS excuse we keep feeding ourselves. Army just knows how to actually run the option.
There backs- qb, bb, ab play fast. Our blockers have to hold the blocks while we slowly rotate and start a counter play.

On a few plays we showed some skill position speed. Let's hope we progress.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
I think CPJ’s playcalling has been borderline awful the last season and four games. It’s clear he has to call a neutered version of his offense for TM’s sake, so my question is simply this: why is he still playing?

Not blaming the kid. It’s not his fault he’s been put in this position. Poor coaching and poor leadership. Good leaders put people in places to succeed, not to fail. TM has tried his best and I appreciate that all, but CPJ shouldn’t have put the poor kid in this situation.

And if no other QB’s can run the offense any better, what the hell is coach “coaching” them?

CPJ ran one play today that reminded me of him when we were winning. He did it with Oliver. The play call on the td pass was a thing of beauty.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
This is all just spittin into the wind.

We could win 8 more games, 0 more games or something in between the rest of the year.

Know this - for the third or fourth time CPJ has changed his DC to, in my opinion, cover his butt for things going wrong. It diverts attention away from his ego about the O and his lack of ability to build an entire program. So, unless Woody is hired away, CPJ will not be able to hide behind a DC change again.

But come kickoff in 2019 (if heaven forbid he is still here) NOTHING will have changed in the program.

CPJ will still have the smarmy attitude at press conferences, he will change nothing on O or S/T, he will still berate his players on the sideline (although I hope one of them knocks his brains out before then if it happens again), he will still throw others under the bus, he will still have the lazy boy recruiting attitude, his teams still will not be prepared.
, and it will continue to be IIWII.

There might be one change.

Sewak will probably get a raise and extension from this Ego Country Club.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, except that what most teams do when they have a sense of urgency is pass the ball, and we can’t do that

- Agreed. Add that to my list of issues. Were we afraid to Pass? We have short passes in our playbook. To not try is puzzling.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I’ve now had time to reflect on the state of the program, and as some may know I’m a CPJ supporter. What I’m about to say might come as a shock to some though lol, but I’m officially ready for change. Not because I think CPJ is a bad coach like some, I actually think he is a very good coach and he hasn’t had the resources to be successful on a consistent basis. My reasoning is this though, the program seems to be going down in a spiral from a W and L stand point and no matter who’s fault that is, it’s always hard to change without change. I really like CPJ but he seems to have lost the team and he doesn’t know what to do to get things back on track. I’m not basing this or saying his because of the loss today (unfortunately I didn’t expect us to win) it’s just my observation after sitting down and really thinking about it. With that being said I’m ready to go out and hire Josh Heupel.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion.Paul has lost his swag, he doesn’t even trust himself. The fake punk against Pitt showed us were Paul is at mentally. He’s getting old, the defenses Tech plays are getting bigger faster stronger. He’s come out with the same slow awkward counter play against Clemson for 3 years in a row and they have knocked him back over and over and over again. We pulled out all the gimmicks all the magic The Seldgehammer the Blue Unis and Tech still played terrible. How the hell do you have a Senior Quarterback out of sync making bad pitches to Senior ABacks.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
- Agreed. Add that to my list of issues. Were we afraid to Pass? We have short passes in our playbook. To not try is puzzling.

We did try the very first attempt of the game. You saw TQM take a short drop and was locked on a guy running what I can only assume was a quick slant. Jahaziel totally whiffed, Wilkins got into the backfield and stripped TQM.

What people seem to be missing is that CPJ can make the right calls, but the guys on the field still have to execute. Ultimately he’s responsible for the product, so I’m not at all absolving him of blame. But the majority of the heat is going his way in this thread, and while some of it is warranted, our 18-22 year olds have some room for improvement too.

Today wasn’t a success in any area. But if you don’t think Clemson had a lot to do with that lack of success, we must not have watched the same game. Let’s rebound next week and get some momentum going into Louisville. Who by the way looked very beatable today.

Btw - haven’t seen his name on here yet, but I thought Zamari Walton played a great game today and deserves some credit somewhere amidst the negativity.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
My biggest complaints about CPJ are pretty straight forward. The first being consistent throughout his career and the second rearing it's ugly head this year.
1. Loyal to a fault. I don't care if it's a senior or your best coaching bud of 30+ years. If they are not performing at the level they should. Move on. If this continues to not change through rest of year that's a fireable offense by itself.
2. Fundamentals. I'm not sure what happened this year and why look so sloppy offensively. Clean it up or get out.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Reading these responses, I’m confused as to what people were expecting from today. We lost to the #2 team in the country, not Old Dominion. Some of y’all need to get some perspective.
I didn’t expect to win, but we completely played ourselves out of the game in the first half. That game could have been tied or at least very close at halftime. Instead we fumbled like five times in the first quarter and made it impossible to compete.

Our offense looks completely inept right now. There were several plays where like seven defenders beat their blocks and are running down the TO on the outside. Look man, they’re good...NFL good...but that’s like our entire O line whiffing on their blocks on the same play. You gotta at least get in their way and slow them down. Also, the A backs and receivers are not on the same page as the QB...bad pitch relationships, incorrect routes, etc. How is that even possible with this many upperclassmen on the offense? To me they just look unprepared every week. Pretty disappointing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I’ve now had time to reflect on the state of the program, and as some may know I’m a CPJ supporter. What I’m about to say might come as a shock to some though lol, but I’m officially ready for change. Not because I think CPJ is a bad coach like some, I actually think he is a very good coach and he hasn’t had the resources to be successful on a consistent basis. My reasoning is this though, the program seems to be going down in a spiral from a W and L stand point and no matter who’s fault that is, it’s always hard to change without change. I really like CPJ but he seems to have lost the team and he doesn’t know what to do to get things back on track. I’m not basing this or saying his because of the loss today (unfortunately I didn’t expect us to win) it’s just my observation after sitting down and really thinking about it. With that being said I’m ready to go out and hire Josh Heupel.
I m ready to start the process, but not ready to pull the trigger.

Josh Heupel is a good one. My son has known him since OU. Son and he have stayed in contact about technical aspects of coaching . He is a quality guy. Son was offered a low level spot at UFC, but deferred on the basis of Josh will have plenty of local talent for that job.

The offense UCF is running is fun to watch. Lots of quick passing and up tempo.

The qb from Hawaii can the field . Wonder how they found that at guy. His passing shows must have not been a converted rb.

A GOOD CHOICE