Clemson 41 - GT 10

Knoxknight

Georgia Tech Fan
Im not sure I have ever seen a game where the announcers just blatantly criticized the decisions by a coach as much as tonight. Our coaching is atrocious and at times makes no sense at all. Our DL played their hearts out for 2.5 quarters. After Clemson found a groove on offense it was blowout city. If they would have started the freshman then they may have won by 50.
In Nebraska's loss to N'western, the announcers were shocked when Frost tried a failed inside kick, after going up 28-17 with 9 minutes left in the 3rd Qtr. N'western covered the ball on Nebraska's side of the field, and quickly scored a TD. Nebraska did not score again, but Northwestern did. 31-28, NW win. Brock Huard was incredulous, and posed the question, " why would Scott Frost do that? " I believe he touched on it at least 3 times. The Cornhusker fans were asking the same question.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
I just don't see how you can verify your OL is in sync without lining them up against the defense in practice. Tech is the only school I've ever known than doesn't do it. I know most of those kids were playing hard tonight but the basic mistakes with substitutions,false starts, and burning timeouts are morale killers.
Aren't all punters that come to school taking one too many steps taught to stop doing it?
It's obvious Tech is better in some areas, but if Collins is not willing to do the things necessary to initiate a play without whistles, then he needs to be fired today.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I predicted 35-10 and the result, from 30,000 feet, is not a terrible one. All the unforced mistakes and the 2 blocked punts are demoralizing for us as fans. Someone in the chat said our young OL was simply jittery. Maybe that's the case. If so, that's fixable.

In spite of the mistakes, there seems to be enough pieces there for a respectable season. Will it happen? What comes next will answer that question. No one else on our schedule (until uga) is as good as Clemson. That's the best news out of last night.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Well, that was a disappointing game.
Thacks D really stepped it up early on but clearly got worn down. At least there is optimism in the D

Our offense looked like crap against Clemson, too many mistake. If this is what our O looks like even after letting coach Pat go then I'm worried. Hopefully it gets fixed

Then their was Collins being dump with his time outs.

Ugh just frustrated this morning hard to be fully optimistic again about our season. we looked like a very uncoached team.

And sad to see us literally get laughed at on a national stage bc of collins.

Blindmule

Georgia Tech Fan
In Nebraska's loss to N'western, the announcers were shocked when Frost tried a failed inside kick, after going up 28-17 with 9 minutes left in the 3rd Qtr. N'western covered the ball on Nebraska's side of the field, and quickly scored a TD. Nebraska did not score again, but Northwestern did. 31-28, NW win. Brock Huard was incredulous, and posed the question, " why would Scott Frost do that? " I believe he touched on it at least 3 times. The Cornhusker fans were asking the same question.
I guess somehow this makes Collins in game decisions better. Let's be clear, he made some highly questionable decisions, Clemson coaching staff even laughing at his calling timeout on the 4th down, that was an embarrassment to me as a Tech fan. I was pleased with the overall effort of the players; thought they were far more competitive than their hopefully soon to be gone coaches.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Different year same crap! Collins will be lucky to win 3 this year. Guys played hard for almost 3 quarters and then they quit. We just need to cut our losses and play to build depth for next year. Hopefully with a new coach.

Go Jackets!
I don't think they quit. The defense was gassed base on 2 things. The first was the decision to play the starters a lot more with less substitution. It provided more consisteny and a better performance. But without more production from the offense after mid Q3, they wore out. The second was all the mistakes. 86 yards in penalties (vs. 10 from Clemson), 2 killer block punts and bad 3rd down conversions. Those lead to a loss but not quitting.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Hope this is welcome: you guys looked like a good team making mistakes, tonight. The past couple years you haven't, you have looked like a bad team making the kind of mistakes that bad teams make.

I saw a lot that might translate against teams that don't have quite the talent advantage that Clemson does (e.g. pretty much anyone else in the ACC)
This right here is how i felt. I saw enough to think we should be competitive with everyone left on our schedule - other than 1 team.

The OL was tough to watch. But don’t forget we played quite a few guys with little to no experience in live action. Against a DL with 4-6 guys that will be in the NFL next year. IF we can improve week to week - it could make for an enjoyable season.

Weeks 2-4 will dictate how the rest of the year goes. 2-2 is the minimum to go bowling imo. 3-1 puts in 8+ win potential.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Emotions clearly running high, but I think there are some reasonable takes in here.

Ok a positive note, we seem to have improved a little on the LOS on each side to the point where we look like we could be ok.

But the fact of the matter is that we still are handicapped in a big way by penalties, special teams disasters, and poor game management. All of this points to poor leadership, and it sets our ceiling for wins very low even when we have a good team.

We will win more than three games this year, but not many more. Five is my guess…maybe six. But I just don’t see how we can ever eclipse that total with the deficiencies listed above, as they make it incredibly difficult to win close games.

Stansubry didn’t want to put a number of wins down as the metric for improvement this year - fine, then don’t make that the only metric in the end either. Judge the coach by his ability to manage the games as well.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Hope this is welcome: you guys looked like a good team making mistakes, tonight. The past couple years you haven't, you have looked like a bad team making the kind of mistakes that bad teams make.

I saw a lot that might translate against teams that don't have quite the talent advantage that Clemson does (e.g. pretty much anyone else in the ACC)
I’m close to this take, but slightly different. The mistakes we were making still looked like the kind of mistakes bad teams make. Punter taking WAY too long to get the ball out, false starts on what seemed like every series, head coach wasting timeouts, etc.

The team looked better at times, but these issues overshadowed that improvement.

I’m also concerned with Jeff’s development. His reads looked much better, but he showed some serious issues with throw accuracy. That could have been brought on by Clemson, but it was pretty consistent all night even when he wasn’t pressured.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Alabama beats Utah State 55-0. Georgia beats Oregon (No. 11!) 49-3. Ohio State beats Notre Dame 21-10. Clemson beats Tech 41-10.

Dog bites man.

Things turned out about as predicted. The fact is, there are very few teams that would have looked better against any of the top four that played this weekend. I thought Tech looked decent up until the blocked punt (that looked horrible).

If they learn from last night and finish September with 2 wins, I would declare victory. Even if symbolic.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Don’t forget 72

While yes the effort could have been greater, one issue I see with this screen package is having your center be the one on the downfield blocking scheme. I know Franklin is probably our best OL, but having him sprint out vs. guards/tackles (who can feasibly step off for a sub to take a breather) doesn't seem like the best use here. The center really can't come out the next play and is gassed after these plays (and appears was gassed going in). Maybe that's a typical call and use of personnel ?

slugboy

Staff member
Random reflections one night after the game:
  • Overall, it looked like there were two games. One game before DJ Uiagalelei pitches the ball to Shipley to escape the sack and a different game after. Clemson got energized and we lost energy after that.
  • You could also split the tale of two games when Charlie Thomas went out for Targeting.
  • Clemson has a QB controversy, and they should have one. I don’t think DJ Uiagalelei realizes how bad that 4th quarter drive looked for him. Klubnik looks much better. Dabo screwed up starting Uiagalelei.
  • Our starting OL is mostly sophomores and redshirt freshmen. There were a lot of plays that they looked good against Clemson, but Clemson rarely had to bring a 5th rusher. It's a line that can get better, but the DL-OL matchup was Clemson's biggest advantage of the night.
  • If the OL looks good by the time we play Ole Miss, then the season could go well. The story of our season is probably how quickly an inexperienced line can grow into a good line. It needs to be fast. We need to fix a lot of problems against Western Carolina.
  • I wonder what the game might have been like as the fifth game of the season instead of the first. We didn't return a lot of production from last year, and Clemson did. We're coming together as a team a lot more than Clemson is.
  • The only reason why I don't think a matchup later in the season against Clemson would go better is that I expect them to have a different QB by mid-season.
  • The first play was gutsy--our OL against their DL on a deep post route. Our OL was still jittery against a hyped DL and missed an important block. We didn't throw deep much after that play.
  • Having Western Carolina next is huge. First, we have to win. Second, we need to fix our game #1 problems. If we're going to have a good season, Western Carolina is the place to do that.
  • I think Charlie Thomas might have to sit out the first half of Western Carolina--I need to check the targeting rules.
  • We couldn't afford mistakes, and the two blocked punts were massive mistakes. The speed of our punting game had to be clear in practice. It takes forever to get our punts off.
  • I wasn't sure the end-of-the-first half run-the-clock decision had been reported correctly. It was--we had a chance to get the ball back with 45 seconds at the end of the first, and Collins played scared. His explanation was that Clemson might go for the 4th down conversion. It wasn't the call of a coach going for the jugular.
  • DL looked much better until we got into the 4th quarter. After that, I saw the Clemson OL getting under our shoulder pads. There was also a difference between our first string DL and our second string DL. Clemson moved the ball much better against our second string DL.
  • The LB play was a lot better this year compared to last. So was the DB play.
  • Dabo ran the score up. That's on us to stop him. It's been said that he doesn't like Collins and is rubbing it in. I've heard almost no other head coaches like him, and that he doesn't have many friends in the media either. Unless we play really tough, we'll face other coaches rubbing Collins' nose in it and getting bad-mouthed by the announcers while they do it.
  • This is clearly a good enough team to go bowling and have a good record against a reasonable schedule. We don't have a reasonable schedule. A lot of our toss-up games are on the road. Our out-of-conference schedule of UCF, Ole Miss, and UGA sucks.
  • Can we beat Pitt and UNC and a lot of the middle of our schedule? VT looks beatable, but a lot changes after the first game. We look better, but are we "better enough" to get six wins?
  • Six wins is still going to take a couple of upsets. Six wins is believable.
  • Collins's game-management is dangerous (to us) in a close game.
  • Our FG kicker looks like a good kicker. Our kickoff unit looks good.
  • Our kickoff and punt return teams might be good. We fair caught everything, and we should have.
  • A 41-10 score isn't a good result for us. Some of it is "garbage time" scores, but the more important thing is that we only scored 10. Yes, Clemson has a great defense, but a solid offense puts up more than 10 points against them.
One more thing. Aside from the "run the clock down" decision at the end of the first half, most of us felt like we were in the game down 14-3 at the end of the first, and especially after we forced Clemson 3-and-out to start the second. Looking back, not getting at least 9 or 10 points in the first half put us behind the 8-ball.

The tale of the quarters:

Q1: Defensive standoff. Our offense couldn't move the ball. Lost opportunities. We were happy with the result, but this was a quarter we needed to be good on offense for the upset. Way too many 3-and-outs. We needed points in this quarter. More importantly, we didn't stay ahead of the chains--our offensive efficiency wasn't good. 0-0.
Q2: We made offensive adjustments. Clemson blocked a punt and got a contended TD on a 5 yard drive. The blocked punt was huge--it may have changed the entire game. Clemson is much better playing from ahead. The second TD Clemson needed all four downs on 4th and goal. We missed a FG and got a FG, but we needed better offensive efficiency. Mistakes meant we had to settle for FGs instead of TDs. The score looked OK, but we didn't capitalize on our drives. 14-3.
Q3: We hold Clemson 3-and-out and score a TD. They come back and get a FG. Then, we go 3-and-out--that was a dagger. Clemson scores a TD. Then we start going 3-and-out a lot. We need clutch plays and we don't make them. As bad as the second blocked punt was, going 3-and-out killed us in the 3Q. We end the 3rd down 24-10, and we're in trouble because the offense is offline.
Q4: Our sins catch up to us. We can't move the ball. Blocked punt puts us down 34-10 and the wheels come off.

If we score more than 20, Clemson doesn't score 41. Our inefficiency on offense let Clemson get too many opportunities and their defense too much rest. Their offense wasn't that good against our defense--we gave them too many chances.

Jeff Schultz has a good point here (shorter version of what I said with "offensive efficiency"):

Last edited:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Got mixed feelings about this game:

a. We have correctable mistakes but still have members of staff still here that can't seem to correct them & the new guys appear to be no more able to correct the mistakes than the preious crew.

b. Sims footwork is troubling. Really thought I'd see improvement game 1 with Weinke.

c. Special teams punt blocking ouch, far outweighed the positive of KO touchbacks and being able to make a damn FG.

d. OL lack of focus, hustle, etc. This is year 4 on that experiment & if it's not clear he needs to go now I'm not sure what it will take. He's just not improving as a coach.

e. The back rotation plan was questionable. One back clearly did better but he stayed sidelined, the other 2 just not physial enough.

f. DBs did not get routinely burned!

g. We had a pass rush.

Really disappointed at the turnout. About 85% of the lower bowl maybe 90% for what was billed as a sellout. Lots of empty Clemson seats in prime real estate. I'm not sure I like this Benz deal but understand why we did it.