Clemson 41 - GT 10

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins: “I love that kid and I told him I love him. It’s tough to give elite effort on every single play, but that’s what he did tonight. Pushed himself to spring his teammate for big plays. Just optimum effort and an elite work ethic paying off once again” 😐

Stansbury: “I’ve got my man….” 😐
I love my kids too. But they shouldn’t be playing football for Georgia Tech.

JacketFan137

Banned
Agree. Mostly.

I could live with this game if not for some weird coaching decisions. And the offensive line made way too many mistakes.
yeah still some bad clock management and some weird misses but good news is the next 10 teams we play are definitely worse on the defensive side of the ball

i also thought our defense looked respectable when not backed up deep.

bad result but i think this isn’t some unsalvageable mess and the people looking at it probably don’t have a realistic view of college football in 2022

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I think I just need to say this.

We lost to Clemson, not Western Carolina. If we lose next weekend then we all need to collectively meltdown like some are in this thread. Collins made some bad choices but in-game coaching did not lose the game for us. Clemson is just on another level and has been for some time.

The only coach that I think we can justify firing is Key. 3 recruiting classes later and we are still cobbling together an oline out of transfers and walk-ons. That is just not going to cut it. I didn't expect them to win the battle against Clemsons dline but the false starts were pathetic. Good teams don't false start every drive

Lets win next week and try to pull things together for Ole Miss and UCF

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Next to last offensive series it appeared Collins decided to go conservative and just run out the clock but failure to make a first down allowed Clemson the chance to score another touchdown.
We gave up before they did. That is a problem. Down 24 with a little over 5 minutes to play is certainly a long shot, but it's not time to pack it in and head home. We were down 21 to UVA last year with under 4 minutes left and fought back. Not sure why we tucked tail and ran tonight. It just felt like the game plan was to not lose by too much which didn't work anyways.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
yeah still some bad clock management and some weird misses but good news is the next 10 teams we play are definitely worse on the defensive side of the ball

bad result but i think this isn’t some unsalvageable mess and the people looking at it probably don’t have a realistic view of college football in 2022
Defense was a pleasant surprise for sure. Clemson is supposed to have the best offensive line in their history but we still got pressure on the QB and stuffed the run game for much of the game.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

😐

JacketFan137

Banned
I think I just need to say this.

We lost to Clemson, not Western Carolina. If we lose next weekend then we all need to collectively meltdown like some are in this thread. Collins made some bad choices but in-game coaching did not lose the game for us. Clemson is just on another level and has been for some time.

The only coach that I think we can justify firing is Key. 3 recruiting classes later and we are still cobbling together an oline out of transfers and walk-ons. That is just not going to cut it. I didn't expect them to win the battle against Clemsons dline but the false starts were pathetic. Good teams don't false start every drive

Lets win next week and try to pull things together for Ole Miss and UCF
you can fix false starts. can’t fix getting blown up. if we improve week to week i think we can be alright

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
You can tell many of our players (especially on the DL) put in a lot of work on their bodies and skill over the off-season. I really hope for their sake that their coach doesn’t continue to be a net negative in the actual games. But, he’s been a head coach for 60 games now, 35 at GT. That’s not a small sample size anymore; I’m concerned about the lack of in-game coaching improvement.

Knoxknight

Georgia Tech Fan
10 penalties vs opponent's 3 can get you beaten against your homecoming FCS matchup. Those crucial penalties, especially the targeting call in 3rd quarter was when the wheels fell off. Backed up in their end of the field, 3rd and long, and ooof! 15 yard penalty, automatic first down and Clemson went on to score. The penalties prolonged so many of Clemson's drives, resulting in the lopsided score. Clemson did not look unbeatable, invincible for most of the night, and for a few minutes of the second half, one might have thought Tech was still capable of the upset. Nope. Too much laundry on the field at critical times.

Have a little discipline, curb the constant flags, and this team will contend this season. This 31 point difference didn't have to be the result! Frustrating.

JacketFan137

Banned
10 penalties vs opponent's 3 can get you beaten against your homecoming FCS matchup. Those crucial penalties, especially the targeting call in 3rd quarter was when the wheels fell off. Backed up in their end of the field, 3rd and long, and ooof! 15 yard penalty, automatic first down and Clemson went on to score. The penalties prolonged so many of Clemson's drives, resulting in the lopsided score. Clemson did not look unbeatable, invincible for most of the night, and for a few minutes of the second half, one might have thought Tech was still capable of the upset. Nope. Too much laundry on the field at critical times.

Have a little discipline, curb the constant flags, and this team will contend this season. This 31 point difference didn't have to be the result! Frustrating.
will say that the targeting and one of the PI’s on 3rd down was pretty absurd and the definition of a ticky tack foul.

offensively we have to stop the pre snap penalties that is unacceptable and preventable

Gtsidewalkfan1

Georgia Tech Fan
Was there in section 202. The defense played hard tonight before getting gassed. Sims threw at least 2 other passes that should have been intercepted. Bone headed timeouts and poor game management by the HC. I do feel that despite the score that the team looks better overall with the exception of the O line. They were not good. Going to be a long year. Will be there to see it through. Hopefully we can win some games.

JacketFan137

Banned
How sound was letting the clock run off in the first half? I foolishly thought that maybe Tech had enough time to get in position for at least a FG before the half.
definitely bad. bare minimum force a punt with ~40 seconds left and from there maybe something happens. not using timeouts there was a bad decision. even if you aren’t confident in our offense protecting the ball, you never know how bad college football special teams can get

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Just got home and watched the end of the first half. Why in the world do you take the runoff on the clock, not call a time out, have no one back to receive the punt, don’t try to block the punt and don’t give your offense at least a shot with two time outs to move the ball down the field. Totally baffling and the announcers were baffled as well. Our leader is clueless when the lights go on unfortunately. Sad.

Did you not watch the OL? You want to drive 80-90 yds downfield with the performance they gave.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Overall, I'm obviously not happy with the result. But speaking from a completely subjective standpoint, I'm actually feeling neutral about this game.

Again, not looking at stats, I went into this game expecting very little. I was excited to see the new offense under Chip Long, after hearing rumblings of what was going on in the offseason. I wrote off the defense, given that we kept Thacker, and if he wasn't calling the shots, it would be CGC.

Lo and behold, the offense looked awesome at times, and decent at other times - against a Clemson defense that will be top 4 in the country (even if their entire team doesn't wind up that way). Was thrilled to see it when the O started firing on all cylinders somewhere in the second half.

And the defense - holy crap. For the first time in years, they looked moderately competent. Some will point to Clemson's offense being lackluster, but keep in mind, we haven't been very wonderful on D over the past 3 years. Given the (lack of) coaching changes, I wasn't expecting the D to look as hungry as they did, and was pleasantly surprised.

Special teams - well, we made a field goal. And the first one was a 50 yarder, which Butker would be hard-pressed to make under those conditions. Overall, still crummy due to blocked punts, but it was nice to think our kicker might be somewhat reliable - and the rest can be fixed.

Overall, I'm disappointed in the O-line play; in CGC's clock & timeout management; in the O penalties; in the team not being able to sustain drives in 3rd Q onward; and in the punting game. But next to that, I'm pretty relieved that this team at least seems like it can be built on. That's more than I've seen for the past 3 years, and I'm thankful for that. Most of the team played with heart, until the D got gassed.

Guess that speaks to how low my expectations have been, but so be it. I'd rather have some hope than resign myself to feeling the way I felt after last season's final 2 games for an entire season. Looking forward to taking some frustrations out on Western Carolina next week.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
definitely bad. bare minimum force a punt with ~40 seconds left and from there maybe something happens. not using timeouts there was a bad decision. even if you aren’t confident in our offense protecting the ball, you never know how bad college football special teams can get
I think you answered your statement if you watched tonight’s game