Clemson 41 - GT 10

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
From watching the game, you could really see the new offensive scheme taking shape and I liked it. Bootlegs, more under center, intermediate passing game, and zone running seem to be what to look for this year. Granted we were going against a top-notch defense, but the plays were there. Sims did a great job not forcing the ball and taking what the defense gave him. I loved that we called more screen plays and it helped stretch out the field. Also, crucify me if you will, but after a few days to ponder on it, I really like the call on the first play of the game. Of course it didn't work out because it was thrown a little late and short, but it was a single man read the whole way and could have set the tone for the game. Why call plays like you're scared? I love the idea of coming out of the gates swinging and trying to lay an early haymaker. Could you imagine how pumped we all would have been had it been completed? Remember, our receiver had a step had it been thrown a couple seconds earlier. Love the gutsy play call even though hindsight tells us it didn't work.
I had no problem with the play calling. Hard to get anything going with your OL getting mauled. We'll see better how it's working out against more normal defenses.