Clemson 41 - GT 10

JacketFan137

Banned
My main takeaways:

GT lost a game it was predicted to lose. No shocker there.

Our defense looks much improved. Keion White looks as advertised.

Our offense is improving. OL issues with false starts need to be fixed ASAP.

Jeff Sims looked good. WRs are still a ? for me.

Special Teams looked decent except for the punt blocks. That is fixable.

All in all, we look like a team that could surprise a few teams and the national pundits on the way to a 5-6 win season this year. I was more encouraged than discouraged by last nights game.

Bonus takeaway: GT need not look far for a new HC should CGC not win enough this year. There is enough coaching "expertise" posting here on the Swarm that I am sure would give The Institute a hometown discount and immediately fix all our problems.
ej jenkins could be a nice big body threat in the end zone and i think he’s in line for double digit touchdowns if we dial up the plays.

aside from him i was disappointed with some drops that our guys made and i still wanna see some one make a little more happen after the catch

JacketFan137

Banned
Eh, agree to disagree. There was obviously mutual respect with he and PJ. There were several times where they let off the gas late.
from what i have heard from the clemson fans that have an in with the program this is very far off the truth. paul did not have much respect from dabo

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Just got home and watched the end of the first half. Why in the world do you take the runoff on the clock, not call a time out, have no one back to receive the punt, don’t try to block the punt and don’t give your offense at least a shot with two time outs to move the ball down the field. Totally baffling and the announcers were baffled as well. Our leader is clueless when the lights go on unfortunately. Sad.

... only took the refs, 20 minutes (okay probably only 3 -5 but it felt ridiculously long from the stands) to finally come up with the 10 second run off. My son an I initially though that was wo we could save the time out and use them after they punt... BUT NO!!!! we then let the clock run down and don't even TRY.... #sigh

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
ej jenkins could be a nice big body threat in the end zone and i think he’s in line for double digit touchdowns if we dial up the plays.

aside from him i was disappointed with some drops that our guys made and i still wanna see some one make a little more happen after the catch
We had at least 3 BIG drops on well thrown balls in the 2nd half, we can’t afford to miss those against a team like Clemson

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
... only took the refs, 20 minutes (okay probably only 3 -5 but it felt ridiculously long from the stands) to finally come up with the 10 second run off. My son an I initially though that was wo we could save the time out and use them after they punt... BUT NO!!!! we then let the clock run down and don't even TRY.... #sigh
With our luck nothing good would come from us trying to score against Clemson in 45 seconds. This had zero affect on the outcome of the game.

JacketFan137

Banned
With our luck nothing good would come from us trying to score against Clemson in 45 seconds. This had zero affect on the outcome of the game.
it was definitely a miss by collins but i do think the impact is being overstated here in these threads. realistically we receive a punt and then run the ball twice and go into half time the same.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As for the end of half lack of calling a timeout, etc: I truly believe we had no plans to take a shot downfield because we basically quit taking shots downfield after the first throw of the game. Do you really think our OL could hold their DL long enough to let a WR get free deep enough to move the chains significantly? That is, if they didn't false start us back to our own 2 yard line...

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
i think that’s reading into things a bit much. dabo has had a bone to pick with tech for over a decade across two coaching regimes

Dabo and Paul Johnson were reportedly fairly close. Yeah, he put points on us, but he never put 73 points on Paul either. Of course, Paul never ran a hurry up offense with a lot of incomplete passes when he was under manned. I think he understood the idea of time of possession and running the clock to shorten the game rather than extending the game when you are out gunned. Of course, the coaching effort in the historic loss was clearly elite. ;)

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely true. Even next weeks game "shouldn't" tell us much. We probably won't know until late September just how improved we actually are.
If we sputter against a team we should beat handily, we will know a lot. Of course, I did just read that WCU had over 600 yards of offense last week so this may not be the tune up game I was expecting.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
it was definitely a miss by collins but i do think the impact is being overstated here in these threads. realistically we receive a punt and then run the ball twice and go into half time the same.

Then put some pressure on the punter and see if you can get a block or a short field. Maybe set up a return, which can be tough when you don't have a return guy to catch the punt. Rumor has it that punts can be blocked in major college football. I've even heard a rumor that multiple punts can be blocked in ONE GAME although I don't think any such thing could really happen to a DI football team. Surely that's just something that is made up and couldn't really happen, right?? :rolleyes:🤣